• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs Player's Premier League Strike Rates 1992-93 to 2012-13

THFC6061

Paul Robinson
Here's a breakdown of Tottenham player's strike-rates during the Premier League Era, updated after our 2-0 win against Aston Villa...

P0067.png

P0068.png

Not sure why but Rory Allen stands out 8 in 25! not bad for a youngster... was it all in one season? Were the rest of our forwards injured for long spells that year?

EDIT: Also 2 goals for Carrick!.. He has a few more than that for Manure doesn't he?

Last edited:
Not sure why but Rory Allen stands out 8 in 25! not bad for a youngster... was it all in one season? Were the rest of our forwards injured for long spells that year?

A0775.jpg

2 goals from 12 appearances in 1996-97
6 goals from 8 appearances in 1997-98
0 goals from 5 appearances in 1998-99

Michael Carrick has upped his strike-rate since moving to Manchester United - he's scored 13 in 187 appearances giving him a strike-rate of a goal for every 14.38 games played.

Last edited:
Helder Postiga and Ronnie Rosenthal are behind Stephen Kelly. Jesus they were bad. 5 goals from 100 appearances between them!

Interesting table. Poor from pavlyuchenko but not that bad from Bent considering he wasnt always starting.

Yep, games started v goals is the best shorthand way of looking at strike rate. All appearances doesn't really give a true reflection at all. It is very much bias against the more regular starters. I mean, Steffen Iversen was truly pony but he was a 1 in 3 or maybe 3.5 striker rather than 1 in 4. A lot of those appearances would have been 10-15 minutes from the bench. The same for Rebrov. A 1 in 3 striker. As well as Bent, Chris Armstong comes out not to shabby either. Probably in terms of minutes v goals, he'd be 3rd. Impressive when he would have 100+ starts.

Interesting table. Poor from Pavlyuchenko but not that bad from Bent considering he wasnt always starting.

Surprised at that. Always seemed Pav had an impressive strike rate at the time. Maybe his minutes-played-per-goal (rather than appearances) looks better?

Last edited:
Greatest hattrick ever

i remember listening to the game on the radio - it was as if I was watching that game unfolding before my eyes - amazing

Surprised at that. Always seemed Pav had an impressive strike rate at the time. Maybe his minutes-played-per-goal (rather than appearances) looks better?

Done a bit of Googling. Wiki says based on goals-per-minutes-played, Pav had the best strike-rate of all during his spell at Tottenham:

The Russian's Tottenham career up until this point had consisted of constantly being down the pecking order despite in the 2009–10 season having a better goals per minute ratio than all of his fellow strike partners in Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch and Robbie Keane. The same went for the 2010–11 season when in March Pavlyuchenko had a minutes per goals ratio of 151 compared to competitors Jermain Defoe who had 208, Peter Crouch had 243 and Rafael van der Vaart had 161.[21] In December of the 2011–12 season, the striker had been restricted to just 18 minutes of Premier League football, until he came on against Sunderland F.C. and went on to score the only goal of the game in the 61st minute.[22] This was his third goal of the season having scored against Shamrock Rovers and Rubin Kazan in the Europa League earlier in the season.

Done a bit of Googling. Wiki says based on goals-per-minutes-played, Pav had the best strike-rate of all during his spell at Tottenham:

The Russian's Tottenham career up until this point had consisted of constantly being down the pecking order despite in the 2009–10 season having a better goals per minute ratio than all of his fellow strike partners in Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch and Robbie Keane. The same went for the 2010–11 season when in March Pavlyuchenko had a minutes per goals ratio of 151 compared to competitors Jermain Defoe who had 208, Peter Crouch had 243 and Rafael van der Vaart had 161.[21] In December of the 2011–12 season, the striker had been restricted to just 18 minutes of Premier League football, until he came on against Sunderland F.C. and went on to score the only goal of the game in the 61st minute.[22] This was his third goal of the season having scored against Shamrock Rovers and Rubin Kazan in the Europa League earlier in the season.

I will never understand why Spurs sold Pavlyuchenko last January.

His critics say that all he did was score goals.

But isn't that exactly what you want from a striker?

Big mistake.

Big mistake.

Exactly. I will always rate a goal-scoring striker more than a goal-creating striker. I think if we had kept Pavly, we could have finished in 3rd last season. There were many games last season in which we badly needed a clinical goal scorer like Pavly. But I think it was Pavly's own decision to leave in January as he wanted to play regularly to be selected for Russia's Euro2012 squad.

Big mistake.

Pav didn't want to be 3/4th choice and Arry was never going to elevate him any higher than that. Ever.

I think he was a decent option but nothing more than that.

However - what I did find funny was many's assertion Saha was so much better. :lol:

Big mistake.

Was especially handy for cup competitions. He ALWAYS seemed to score in them. Who here doubts he would have got us wins against both Lazio and Panathinaikos? His approach play was often excruciating but wow, could he shoot!

Exactly. I will always rate a goal-scoring striker more than a goal-creating striker. I think if we had kept Pavly, we could have finished in 3rd last season. There were many games last season in which we badly needed a clinical goal scorer like Pavly. But I think it was Pavly's own decision to leave in January as he wanted to play regularly to be selected for Russia's Euro2012 squad.

i'll always go the other way.

if a goal-scoring striker is not scoring goals he's not adding anything to the team.

If a goal-creating striker is not scoring goals he's still able to assists and help the team.

And pavly was not 'clinical'.

That is for all games though and I remember a considerable amount of goals against lower league opposition. His league strike rate was fairly average. Certainly well below someone like Bent who wasn't even considered all that of a goalscorer with us either.

Interesting would be if you took Keane's last/return spell out, how good was he in the first spell?

Back