• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs Fans Will Have to Take Their Medicine If They Want to Stay Among the Big Boys

Re: Spurs Fans Will Have to Take Their Medicine If They Want to Stay Among the Big Bo

Iirc they didn't actually buy it with their money. They actually borrowed the money of Alan Sugar. Not sure how it was paid back either but I'd guess via club profits. It's not an unusual way to do business and it's effective in this market.

Where the Glazers were different I believe was they said it was their money and then effectively mortgaged the club. That's awful IMO and has crippled them financially compared to where they could be... And the Gkazers consistently skim big money off the top for their own pockets

Never seen that mentioned anywhere before.

They acquired their shares in several steps, mostly buying Sugar's. In 2000 they upped their stake to 29.9%, which was the maximum allowed while they still held an interest in other clubs (Rangers, Slavia Praha, Vicenza, Basel and a Greek club as well I think). Once they had sold off those they went past 50% and offered a cash buyout to the remaining shareholders. Lewis is incredibly wealthy thanks to some fortunate investments in currency I believe and I don't see why they would borrow the money from Sugar, if at all. I certainly can't remember seeing anything that suggests the club has paid for any of it. ENIC put in at least 20 million of their own money to fund player purchases early on, though it was probably cleverly done through share emissions and whatnot.

Re: Spurs Fans Will Have to Take Their Medicine If They Want to Stay Among the Big Bo

Never seen that mentioned anywhere before.

They acquired their shares in several steps, mostly buying Sugar's. In 2000 they upped their stake to 29.9%, which was the maximum allowed while they still held an interest in other clubs (Rangers, Slavia Praha, Vicenza, Basel and a Greek club as well I think). Once they had sold off those they went past 50% and offered a cash buyout to the remaining shareholders. Lewis is incredibly wealthy thanks to some fortunate investments in currency I believe and I don't see why they would borrow the money from Sugar, if at all. I certainly can't remember seeing anything that suggests the club has paid for any of it. ENIC put in at least 20 million of their own money to fund player purchases early on, though it was probably cleverly done through share emissions and whatnot.

The business side would give both sets of owners billion pound assets, for very little input. How they get there may be slightly different. But the result is the same.

Arsenal owners were the same, its no surprise that once the stadium was completed shares were being sold to American's and Russians. tut

So Levy, a business man as clearly stated, is being criticised for not spending more than the club earns in the transfer window? With journalism like this it is no wonder teams like Portsmouth and Leeds went the way they did. Supporting a football team, at least for me, is never going to be about how much money the club is willing to spend. It is about being entertained by what happens on the pitch. Money already has corrupted football, it is only going to get worse with views like this article

I take great pride that my club pretty much runs a profit every year. I'd hate to be run by a sugar daddy, all success is tainted IMO.

I take great pride that my club pretty much runs a profit every year. I'd hate to be run by a sugar daddy, all success is tainted IMO.

but without a sugar daddy you can't have success

Since joe lewis is worth £3.8 billion,we've got a sugar daddy but he prefers not to spend it on this club.

Isn't it Enic who owns us, not one individual?

Since joe lewis is worth £3.8 billion,we've got a sugar daddy but he prefers not to spend it on this club.

Then he's not a sugar daddy is he. He's only a sugar daddy if he spend his cash on teh club

Well the way things are going we'll probably continue to lose ground to the oligarch's playthings until we are eventually written out of the script altogether.

C'est la vie. Not sure I care that much anymore tbh.

The business side would give both sets of owners billion pound assets, for very little input. How they get there may be slightly different. But the result is the same.

Arsenal owners were the same, its no surprise that once the stadium was completed shares were being sold to American's and Russians. tut

The result is Spurs being worth a lot more than when it was bought because we have a new stadium, new training ground and a far superior squad of players. All done through years of hard work. All the assets are still part of club, ENIC's profit comes out of the next owner's pockets. How they decide to run the club is a far more worrying thought.

ManU will have underachieved (relatively to what COULD have been) because the owners bled them for insane amounts of money.

One is trying to build something, the other one is stealing.

So Levy, a business man as clearly stated, is being criticised for not spending more than the club earns in the transfer window? With journalism like this it is no wonder teams like Portsmouth and Leeds went the way they did. Supporting a football team, at least for me, is never going to be about how much money the club is willing to spend. It is about being entertained by what happens on the pitch. Money already has corrupted football, it is only going to get worse with views like this article

You haven't read the article, have you?

A good read nayeeem. Not much I can argue with there.

It might as well be.. 70% means your the daddy.
But their motivations for buying football clubs are completely different. Abramovich was looking to get out of Russia and Putin's grasp and wanted a plaything to make him popular and welcome here. ENIC are an investment company who look to get a premium return on their investment by running football clubs efficiently, building the business and then selling for a profit.

The result is Spurs being worth a lot more than when it was bought because we have a new stadium, new training ground and a far superior squad of players. All done through years of hard work. All the assets are still part of club, ENIC's profit comes out of the next owner's pockets. How they decide to run the club is a far more worrying thought.

ManU will have underachieved (relatively to what COULD have been) because the owners bled them for insane amounts of money.

One is trying to build something, the other one is stealing.

Both are using the clubs money in order to achieve ownership of a bigger asset, detrimental to the daily running, shown up by the new TV money this year.

Why doesn't Levy and Lewis use there own money if they want a bigger asset, why not be transparent with what they are doing.. why buy back all the shares beforehand.. sod anyone else making a profit out of it. If they wanted to they could quite easily used the money they bought the shares for and put it into the stadium project. No.. they wanted as much of the asset before work started. All this bull$hit about doing it because banks wouldn't lend us the money is guff.. Our billionaire money trading owner who knows all the right people and knows his **** doesn't need to do that.
As owners they pretty much are not needed in the way they are going about doing the stadium. And as I have said many times, there are 100s of just as savy people as Levy in the business world. I'd argue over 70% of the Premier League are.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if they hadn't of bought all the shares back.. that is when they should there hand. I would love the club to be 51% owned by the fans.. akin to what happens in Germany, which stops this. Now I am off to finish watching Animal Farm if you don't mind. 8-[

But their motivations for buying football clubs are completely different. Abramovich was looking to get out of Russia and Putin's grasp and wanted a plaything to make him popular and welcome here. ENIC are an investment company who look to get a premium return on their investment by running football clubs efficiently, building the business and then selling for a profit.

I wish they'd get on with it

My post was aimed at Lewis can do what he wishes, Levy has no power.

I love these threads, they always go round in circles with lots of criticism, but no realistic alternative.

What the issue? Are we in a better position footballing wise than 10 years ago?
Yes.

Financially?
Yes

Are the people that achieved better off/going to be?
Yes

Do we have a better infrastructure and therefore future resources for growth?
Yes

Are we more stable?
Yes

Do most people want an out and sugar daddy ( rather than investors ).
No.

Are we in danger of doing a Leeds?
No ( because we are run sensibly)

I really don't get the issue, other than money has become so prominent in the game it has created greater imbalance ( I'm only 32 so can't really compare that statement to pre PL).

We are stable and well run. As with the nature of sport, some years we get a little better, some a little worse depending on the choices we make and the choices of other clubs.

We are in the most competitive lge in the world and are a solid top 5 team - that is not to be sneered.

And if you think it is, I have the 1998 best away day draws and corners vhs you can borrow.

Back