• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs' English/British players

If the current crop of English players are not good enough of overpriced there is not much we can do if we want to move forward as a team.

Well it is not so much the buying of foreign players that bothers me as the not giving our own home grown players caulker, carroll and townsend a proper chance. Im sure you can say that they may get a chance in the future but i think it is obvious the way the club is moving.

Im not sure how much of it is to do with avb's prefered style of play, but we had the chance to build a core group of players that came up together and new each others game.

Also i have a dislike of how the country and the game is going, it seems like a desperaton and a greed and in behaving this way we are turning our backs on our own countrymen. Some can call me racist if they like but not many other countries in the world **** on their own like Britain has on its working class both in football and political terms the last 14 years or so.

It is clear to me that players like carroll have enough skill, he may now never come through but i would blame it on the same reason the Mcheran(spelling) chap at chelsea may not, he does not get enough game time to get up to standard.

If the was a quota of english players i would feel a better connection with the club and im sure the television rights would sell the same round the world becuase that is what they are buying into the english premership.

We are just making other nations stronger instead of strengthening our own interests but i believe this a hangover from the empire and the guilt that the liberal minded people who make up the positions of power in this country including the F.A. have. Though is no reason in the world why we should look to make other countries stronger.

A quota of 5 english players a team and you could still have plenty of exotic foreign players. The english players thank to the work down on youth training at the top clubs are skillful enough but their chances to the first team are blocked.

Maybe im just getting to old and long in the tooth for the game because i saw it happen to older fellas before me who gave up the game, but if townsend is sold i will be very fed up with it all.

I run a business employing 3 people now and it is my second business, i am interested in seeing people grow and do well for themselves, i think it throws me at odds with a lot in this country who just want success and money but not hard work, im talking in football and life.

I do support england but when i was younger i used to like even the ****nal england players but now the way some of the players behave i can not support them, lampard though he plays for chelsea i always cheer but ashely cole and terry, never.

You mean British right? It would be harsh to crack down on our Welsh premier league teams by forcing them to play English players..

I get the concern. However the majority of the fault lays with the way English football is taught at the lower levels. If the FA had previously had their heads out of their ****s then this lack of English talent would not have occurred.

Though as soon as you get back into European football the English/British players would likely be dropped.

Then you'll have the whole 'Well who is actually English/British' debate..

And to top it all off you have a growing number of fans that are club before country.

You mean British right? It would be harsh to crack down on our Welsh premier league teams by forcing them to play English players..

I get the concern. However the majority of the fault lays with the way English football is taught at the lower levels. If the FA had previously had their heads out of their ****s then this lack of English talent would not have occurred.

Though as soon as you get back into European football the English/British players would likely be dropped.

Then you'll have the whole 'Well who is actually English/British' debate..

And to top it all off you have a growing number of fans that are club before country.

Yes i would allow the welsh to hae welsh or english they hae been in the league system long enough and paid their dues.

English football has been taught wrong at lower level but i still think their are talented ones coming through who need to be given a chance, it would also be a carrot and stick approach because if clubs had to have more home grown players in their teams they would not rely on talented foreign players to bail them out and would place more focus on better coaching for their youth players.

No disagreement about the F.A. i would love to see gary neville run for the job of top man much like jimmy hill did all those years ago. I still see kids playing on full size pitches in a country with as many youngsters playing as we have we should be doing so much better.

Well if they got dropped in european football never mind over time they would improve so as not to be dropped.

I would consider my son to be english/british but his mother is Irish so (not going to happen) he could play for Ireland or England or even Italy(my mother was half italian) i would go on the whole British passport thing and then if someone choices another nation well it is bad luck, the would still be a big enough pool to pick from. I have an attachement to Latvia and i know many latvians in this country whose children are pretty much english now and they would be happy for their children to represent england much like the Carribean lot did.

Well i can understand the club before country, im sort of that way except i do not think it has to be one or the other, im also convinced that if we made a quota for english players it might hurt english clubs in the short term but not in the long run, two German clubs just played the euro cup final at Wembley, one is very rich but Germany is a country with a better football life, from promoting youth players to the way their game is run.

I could just be coming to the end of my football supporting life, i have been going to the lane for 40 years, my first game at 7 years old. It has been a big part of my life but sometimes people move on, i love my kitsurfing and cycling, i still enjoy a good football match nothing as beautiful as a nice goal. But the way this club is moving im not so proud to be a spurs fan anymore.

I would have loved it if we had 5 or 6 english lads come trhough maybe we would not have made the top but it would have been worth trying, if we are a success after we spend the bale money it will not feel the same to me. Almost like we won the lottery not to different to chelsea, their money came from a ruch Russian ours because one of our signings became worth a lot, still a gamble rather then a hard thought out plan.

Don't pay any attention to me im just an old man who thinks differently about things to a lot on here as seen on the political threads on the other side of this site. Not saying any of us is wrong, jut i have some discomfort at how things have gone in the game and the country as a whole.

I care more about local players tbh. I really wanted Townsend to succeed for example - it's his local club.

If you don't mind poor football and being trounced by Chlsea and Arsenal every year, then fine.

The penny has dropped, English players are over rated and overpriced. Our two worst signing were both English Bentley and Bent .

I would love to have great English players, but they are not really any out there. Caulker, Rose and Townsend are not good enough.

Keep Dawson, Defoe and Lennon. Get Rooney if you can, but they are not there.

I may disagree with others point of views on here but i do not think i have ever read anything so stupid as this post in 14 years on this and previous versions of this site.

Back