• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs' English/British players

Does no one else care about Tottenham grown players? I'd loved to have seen Caulker, Carroll and Townsend all starting at Palace.

If you don't mind poor football and being trounced by Chlsea and Arsenal every year, then fine.

The penny has dropped, English players are over rated and overpriced. Our two worst signing were both English Bentley and Bent .

I would love to have great English players, but they are not really any out there. Caulker, Rose and Townsend are not good enough.

Keep Dawson, Defoe and Lennon. Get Rooney if you can, but they are not there.

If you don't mind poor football and being trounced by Chlsea and Arsenal every year, then fine.

The penny has dropped, English players are over rated and overpriced. Our two worst signing were both English Bentley and Bent .

I would love to have great English players, but they are not really any out there. Caulker, Rose and Townsend are not good enough.

Keep Dawson, Defoe and Lennon. Get Rooney if you can, but they are not there.

Arse managed to get top 4 with Walcott, Gibbs, Oxlaide and Wheelchair.....

I agree that the coaching in Britain is poor, I also believe that there is to much coaching in youth football. We produced better players when kids were left to develop playing in the streets with tennis balls, that's what happens in Brazil. We will never learn touch or control playing with a full sized ball at 6 and 7. Unfortunately our greatest moment was the architect of our fall. Alf Ramsey bought in the work ethic and tight organisation which allowed less gifted players to stop better opponents.

The rules currently are not in place to promote the development of kids native to the country but they should be IMO.

I think the name implies they are of that country, but actually it doesn't mean that at all. They should be called academy trained or whatever.

You can argue that there should be rules in place to promote the development of native kids, but I don't see why rules that are in place for another reason should be in place for this reason. That makes no sense to me.

Google definition:
grown past participle of grow (Verb)
Verb

1. (of a living thing) Undergo natural development by increasing in size and changing physically; progress to maturity.
2. (of a plant) Germinate and develop.

The first one of those seems to fit perfectly well to the usage of the word in 'home grown players'

You can argue that there should be rules in place to promote the development of native kids, but I don't see why rules that are in place for another reason should be in place for this reason. That makes no sense to me.

The first one of those seems to fit perfectly well to the usage of the word in 'home grown players'

Hmm....sorry ...I've read that a few times and can't figure out what you are trying to say in your first point.

Kids that get imported or transplanted into a new country could not accurately be described as homegrown IMO. You think the opposite, fair enough. I'm not here to debate the English language though apparently you think I need a reminder.

Last edited:
Hmm....sorry ...I've read that a few times and can't figure out what you are trying to say in your first point.

Kids that get imported or tranplanted into a new country could not accurately be described as homegrown IMO. You think the opposite, fair enough. I'm not here to debate the English language though apparently you think I need a reminder.

I'm trying to say that the homegrown regulations were put in place to achieve something. To say that they should instead achieve something else makes no sense to me. That's like me saying that "I think the FFP regulations should do something about ticket prices, the cost of going to games is getting out of hand". That's not what those regulations were put in place, there's no reason that they should do something about that, so why think that they should?

I was simply showing one definition of the word that seems to fit well with the current usage.

I'm trying to say that the homegrown regulations were put in place to achieve something. To say that they should instead achieve something else makes no sense to me. That's like me saying that "I think the FFP regulations should do something about ticket prices, the cost of going to games is getting out of hand". That's not what those regulations were put in place, there's no reason that they should do something about that, so why think that they should?

I was simply showing one definition of the word that seems to fit well with the current usage.

That is not what I am saying . I am saying that the regulations imply a quota of players of a particular type when in fact they achieve something quite different. The word homegrown is not the same the word grown by any definition I understand.

In an ideal world I'd love if we could have a team full of players who are brought up through the Tottenham ranks and are good enough to challenge for titles (like Fergie' Class of '92 or La Masia) but aside from King and Carr our youth set up hasn't produced someone truly top notch recently (perhaps Carroll and Townsend will develop into world beaters in years to come though).

I was slightly disappointed to see Caulker sold but I trust AVB' judgement and I'd prefer to see Tottenham win games and hopefully silverware with quality foreign imports (like Sandro, Vertonghen, Dembele, Soldado, Lloris...) than watching us finish mid-table with a team filled with over priced British players (Bentley, Armstrong, Dozzell, Bent...) or mediocre home-grown (Nethercott, O'Hara, Stephen Clemence, Thelwell...) who don't necessarily have any more allegiance to our club than the foreign players anyway (as ArseSol demonstrated).

That is not what I am saying . I am saying that the regulations imply a quota of players of a particular type when in fact they achieve something quite different. The word homegrown is not the same the word grown by any definition I understand.

We're really getting nowhere fast. Let's just agree to disagree on this one without taking this further off topic...

The idea that young players that come through the ranks care about the club is flimflam. They're just the same as all the rest. Look at O'Hara willing on Portsmouth to win against us when he was on loan there and look at what Campbell did.

And the reality is a London player is much more likely to end up in nightclubs every weekend with his London mates than a player that doesn't have any ties here.

The idea that young players that come through the ranks care about the club is flimflam. They're just the same as all the rest. Look at O'Hara willing on Portsmouth to win against us when he was on loan there and look at what Campbell did.

And the reality is a London player is much more likely to end up in nightclubs every weekend with his London mates than a player that doesn't have any ties here.

You do know that the foreign players do this just as much as the English players right?

It's supply that's the problem, not demand.

As I posted in the England/Scotland thread, Baines is the only England player who'd get in our starting 11 at the moment.

Of the youth, Will Hughes and Luke Shaw are the only two players around that excite me. I do have hope for some of our own ones like Carrol, Pritchard and Coulthirst though.

You do know that the foreign players do this just as much as the English players right?

You don't think there are any countries with an overall better and more professional footballing culture than England?

As I posted in the England/Scotland thread, Baines is the only England player who'd get in our starting 11 at the moment.

Of the youth, Will Hughes and Luke Shaw are the only two players around that excite me. I do have hope for some of our own ones like Carrol, Pritchard and Coulthirst though.

Agreed. If we want that supply we probably have to create it ourselves.

I keep seeing this pop up in different threads... Is it really a big deal to some people what country a player is from? Do we really have to have a strong British presence in the team? If it's just personal preference, thats fine, but some people go on about having a majority of foreign players as if its the plague (won't support the club anymore if this continues, etc. etc)..

How is it realistic to expect the club to challenge for the top 4 (or the top half for that matter) if we're only drawing from a pool of players smaller in size than the state of Louisiana?? It's a global game now so why on earth would we want to limit ourselves to just players from Britain?

I understand having pride in your country, but for me this arguments a bit over-played.

Barkley at everton is going to be very good, i also like nick poell who man u got from crewe he has a lot of skill.

The way our club is going im feeling very uneasy with it.

Barkley at everton is going to be very good, i also like nick poell who man u got from crewe he has a lot of skill.

The way our club is going im feeling very uneasy with it.

Barkley does look very promising, I do think signing him would probably end up costing more than any of our other midfield signings this season.

Does our current direction make you feel so uneasy that you would prefer us buying more British players accepting that it would most likely make us a worse team than if we go after primarily non-Brits?

I'd be interested to know how many posters are truely concerned about the lack of English/British players but do not care for the NT. Perhaps not a corellation there as such but I'm curious

I'd be interested to know how many posters are truely concerned about the lack of English/British players but do not care for the NT. Perhaps not a corellation there as such but I'm curious

Couldn't give a toss about either myself. The only thing I want Tottenham players to be is good.

I would love to see us have a 100% British and Irish team but the we currently don't produce enough players of the required standard. This will not change unless there is a major change in our society re: education, coaching, and drugs control.

Barkley does look very promising, I do think signing him would probably end up costing more than any of our other midfield signings this season.

Does our current direction make you feel so uneasy that you would prefer us buying more British players accepting that it would most likely make us a worse team than if we go after primarily non-Brits?

Well it is not so much the buying of foreign players that bothers me as the not giving our own home grown players caulker, carroll and townsend a proper chance. Im sure you can say that they may get a chance in the future but i think it is obvious the way the club is moving.

Im not sure how much of it is to do with avb's prefered style of play, but we had the chance to build a core group of players that came up together and new each others game.

Also i have a dislike of how the country and the game is going, it seems like a desperaton and a greed and in behaving this way we are turning our backs on our own countrymen. Some can call me racist if they like but not many other countries in the world **** on their own like Britain has on its working class both in football and political terms the last 14 years or so.

It is clear to me that players like carroll have enough skill, he may now never come through but i would blame it on the same reason the Mcheran(spelling) chap at chelsea may not, he does not get enough game time to get up to standard.

If the was a quota of english players i would feel a better connection with the club and im sure the television rights would sell the same round the world becuase that is what they are buying into the english premership.

We are just making other nations stronger instead of strengthening our own interests but i believe this a hangover from the empire and the guilt that the liberal minded people who make up the positions of power in this country including the F.A. have. Though is no reason in the world why we should look to make other countries stronger.

A quota of 5 english players a team and you could still have plenty of exotic foreign players. The english players thank to the work down on youth training at the top clubs are skillful enough but their chances to the first team are blocked.

Maybe im just getting to old and long in the tooth for the game because i saw it happen to older fellas before me who gave up the game, but if townsend is sold i will be very fed up with it all.

I run a business employing 3 people now and it is my second business, i am interested in seeing people grow and do well for themselves, i think it throws me at odds with a lot in this country who just want success and money but not hard work, im talking in football and life.

I do support england but when i was younger i used to like even the ****nal england players but now the way some of the players behave i can not support them, lampard though he plays for chelsea i always cheer but ashely cole and terry, never.

Back