• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spanish doping - has the lid come off?

johnola

Mauricio Taricco
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/9834122/Operation-Puerto-doctor-Eufemiano-Fuentes-treated-tennis-players-athletes-footballers-and-a-boxer.html

Cycling scandal x 1000?

Absolutely nothing new here. Fuentes has long said he treated sports people other than cyclists.

There's not a chance of anything coming out of it imo.

Spain has no interest seeing their sporting heroes revealed as cheats.

Look at the behaviour of the judge, he refused the use of data taken from Dr Fuentes' computer, said it would be a breach of privacy.

This isn't a doping trial, doping was legal in Spain in 2006. Instead this is a matter of public health, they are investigating did Fuentes endanger the athletes he treated.

not at all, I think this is huge and as you say a lid will be blown off

but i couldn't resist a team america reference

Ah that went over my head. Eufemiano Fuentes is a very shady character, and it does seem that the Spanish have had quite a relaxed attitude to performance enhancing drugs.

I'll ask the question then, have their football teams been doping in the recent past.

Ah that went over my head. Eufemiano Fuentes is a very shady character, and it does seem that the Spanish have had quite a relaxed attitude to performance enhancing drugs.

I'll ask the question then, have their football teams been doping in the recent past.

Of course they have.
But has doping raised their skill level? No.
They might have less injuries and more endurance but they haven't won the last 3 international tournaments on the back of doping alone.

Or maybe its not even the top players doping.
There is would be an incentive for second rate footballers to dope just to make it as an average player (the financial reward is huge). Whereas a second rate cyclist doing the same thing could become a major name in their sport. Look at Tyler Hamilton, he doped originally just to get on Armstrong's US Postal team, then he got the connection to Armstrong's doctor. On this new doping program he finished 4th in the tour in 2001. Then Armstrong kicked him off the team in case he became a threat.

Interestingly Real Madrid's Pedro Leon's (on loan at Getafe) brother is cyclist Luis Leon Sanchez. Leon Sanchez has recently been identified as a former Fuentes client http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-blanco-investigate-luis-leon-sanchezs-links-to-operacion-puerto

Of course they have.
They might have less injuries and more endurance but they haven't won the last 3 international tournaments on the back of doping alone.

Or maybe its not even the top players doping.
There is would be an incentive for second rate footballers to dope just to make it as an average player (the financial reward is huge). Whereas a second rate cyclist doing the same thing could become a major name in their sport. Look at Tyler Hamilton, he doped originally just to get on Armstrong's US Postal team, then he got the connection to Armstrong's doctor. On this new doping program he finished 4th in the tour in 2001. Then Armstrong kicked him off the team in case he became a threat.

Interestingly Real Madrid's Pedro Leon's (on loan at Getafe) brother is cyclist Luis Leon Sanchez. Leon Sanchez has recently been identified as a former Fuentes client http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-blanco-investigate-luis-leon-sanchezs-links-to-operacion-puerto

Skill rarely wins football matches, physical superiority almost always does.

Skill rarely wins football matches, physical superiority almost always does.

I don't think it's possible to seperate the two terms as your technical level are dependent on your physical level. If you can push your limit for the build up of lactic acid just a few percentage you'll be able to perform much better technically. IMO it does raise an eyebrow that Spain are the best in the world in football, tennis, cycling, handball etc. However i don't think the investigation will incriminate anyone else besides cyclists as the spanish anti doping agency wont hand over the evidence to WADA.

I don't think this is limited to Spain, if he's anything like Michele Ferrari he'll have worked with anyone who paid him, there were rumours a few Italian clubs were also doing this during the early 2000's

Granted, he is exceptional. But note, he was lured to Barca who were prepared to fund his human growth hormone "therapy".

Why the quotation marks?

-------------------

I hope the names get released, football needs to get serious about doping.

I doubt this is a particularly Spanish phenomenon and at this point I see no real reason to think that it's a systemic problem around the top sides or the national side.

Absolutely nothing new here. Fuentes has long said he treated sports people other than cyclists.

There's not a chance of anything coming out of it imo.

Spain has no interest seeing their sporting heroes revealed as cheats.

Look at the behaviour of the judge, he refused the use of data taken from Dr Fuentes' computer, said it would be a breach of privacy.

This isn't a doping trial, doping was legal in Spain in 2006. Instead this is a matter of public health, they are investigating did Fuentes endanger the athletes he treated.

Agree they will do all they can to keep the lid on it. Only allow evidence about cyclist proves this. You are right this is a public health trial, but presumably the halth risk to footaballers or tennis players would be just as much a concern as that to cyclists.

Of course they have.

Armstrong couldn't have won the Tour without being an extraordinary cyclist. He didn't win seven tours on the back of doping alone.

You need both skill and athleticism to be a top footballer. In modern football even Messi wouldn't cut it if he wasn't extremely fit. Drugs can still provide the edge for a skilful player who is not a natural athlete.

Let's face it, football is the richest sport and physical strength and endurance plays an important part. It would be surprising if some household names in all the major countries weren't doping. We know a few Dutch and Juventus players were. The only questions are how widespread it is and whether its institutionalised.

Just look at the way those cyclists on doping accelerated up the last climbs compared to what the presumably clean ones manage today and you'll see what doping can do for you. That one stage by Floyd Landis is all you need.

according to Landis and Hamilton it turned them into supermen, they'd be doing these climbs and they'd have to ease off as they were worried they were making it look too easy

Anyone who thinks doping does not make a significant difference is being very naïve.

Strength and endurance get huge boosts, and if you have played any sport, when you get tired, you make mistakes, quality drops. Just being able to not fatigue out during a game would be enough of an advantage to win.

Anyone who thinks doping does not make a significant difference is being very naïve.

Strength and endurance get huge boosts, and if you have played any sport, when you get tired, you make mistakes, quality drops. Just being able to not fatigue out during a game would be enough of an advantage to win.

Absolutely correct. Massive advantage towards the end of games.

Imagine if half the Spanish team were using. They'd be stripped of their titles and their clubs thrown out of Europe. Even if it is true it's too big a scandal to let out of pandora's box.

Back