• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spaces

How many spaces after a full stop?

• Total voters

Gordinho

Banned
Two after a fullstop or one? Young whippersnapper at work tells me it's one and "you need to get with the times Grandad", I say it's two, that's what was taught on an RSA typing course and I see no reason to change.

On the down side, because I learned to type on a manual typewriter it still sounds like I'm hitting each individual key with a club hammer even though today's keyboards need mimimal pressure.

Doh! How do you edit a poll? Had a senior moment when typing it out. :oops:

Last edited:
I work in publishing and when we edit documents we always to do a 'search and replace' to change all the 2 spaces to 1 space.

Obviously there's other important skills required for my role but being able to do the above is one of the most important skills! :)

Never heard of the 2 space rule till I read this thread... Always used 1 space. Just feels right. this doesn't. plus when I do 2 spaces the phone doesnt do auto caps like it does if I do 1 space. See

Never heard of the 2 space rule till I read this thread... Always used 1 space. Just feels right. this doesn't. plus when I do 2 spaces the phone doesnt do auto caps like it does if I do 1 space. See

That's because it's 1 space - don't listen to these heretics

One space is the modern rule due to the mainstream use of proportional sized fonts. The double space was used way back when mono spaced typesetting was used.

One space is the modern rule due to the mainstream use of proportional sized fonts. The double space was used way back when mono spaced typesetting was used.

So in other words - Southstand is much older than he pretends to be!

Either that or he used to be a receptionist in the 60s

Last edited:
Er yeah if you're still using a typewriter. A double space? fudgein hell... It was only done in the typewriter period to accommodate the poor quality of that method - fonts were brick, the readability lacked clarity and the space bar on a typewriter wasn't that much of a 'space'

Single space all the fudgein way.

Depends on the recipient. I won't bother double-spacing here because a double-space tap on my iPhone does a full stop and a single space.

CIMA expect exam entries to be double-spaced, as do many universities still.

Ok slags, let me clear this up for you

One space = French spacing
Two spaces = English spacing

You can choose to side with the cheese-eating surrender monkeys, or you can all have a think back to why you're on this planet in the first place.

"Ugly and archaic as it is to put two spaces after a sentence, it is hardly surprising that a British government office follows the latter.", The Economist

Ok slags, let me clear this up for you

One space = French spacing
Two spaces = English spacing

You can choose to side with the cheese-eating surrender monkeys, or you can all have a think back to why you're on this planet in the first place.

"Ugly and archaic as it is to put two spaces after a sentence, it is hardly surprising that a British government office follows the latter.", The Economist

Well i like cheese. But only English extra mature chedder so where's that leave me?

Just because someone follows a 50 year old type-writer tradition doesn't mean the rest haven't move on ;)

History

You'd do well to look up the word and work out its importance

It's why I support Spurs, and not Chelsea

History puts the Great into Great Britain

Back