• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min Signs - Official

Some previous top S Korean footballers have won exemptions or found legal loopholes to allow them to defer military service.

Hello-
This is my first time writing on this board although it's been a quite long since I followed Spurs and the Glory-glory website.
Strange feeling indeed to see the rumour getting this specific, as I was a liaison for Spurs in 2005 and HSV in 2012 (Son was at HSV at the time).
However, there's been some "Son to Spurs" rumour in the past seasons.

There are two ways at the moment for a Korean footballer to get exemption for the army.
First being winning any medal in the Olympic Games, while the second option is to win the Asian Games.
It might sound little difficult, but South Korea have managed to do so in the previous competitions (3rd in 2012 London OG, and winning gold in 2014 Asian Games).
Son has been quite unlucky with both occasions, not selected for the OG team in 2012 (Swansea's Ki won exemption through this) and for the later ones Leverkusen did not allow him to leave for the AG (Asian Games is not the official FIFA competition so that the clubs don't need to send their players).

I do believe that Son will have a strong chance to get selected for the next AG and winning the competition, although other outcomes will severely impact his resale value. He can defer the service until 27 because after that age, he cannot play for Sangmu or Police while on service, only can serve in the ranks.

Anyway, I do not believe that Spurs are buying his contract due to promote any shirt sale or allure Korean tourist to WHL, as YP Lee did not really improve the popularity of Spurs in Korea (I know he was a defender, but still the result won't be drastically different, IMO). Proven in the international stage as well as the Bundesliga, he is generally regarded as the best player of SK along with Ki. Usually scores fantastic goals, very pacey, comfortable at both feet, and also can be decisive in big games. He probably needs to improve his judgement, and first touches can be a problem. It will be interesting to see him at WHL for sure, very energetic player.

If there's a question, I will try to answer :)
COYS

Hello-
This is my first time writing on this board although it's been a quite long since I followed Spurs and the Glory-glory website.
Strange feeling indeed to see the rumour getting this specific, as I was a liaison for Spurs in 2005 and HSV in 2012 (Son was at HSV at the time).

There are two ways at the moment for a Korean footballer to get exemption for the army.
First being winning any medal in the Olympic Games, while the second option is to win the Asian Games.
It might sound little difficult, but South Korea have managed to do so in the previous competitions (3rd in 2012 London OG, and winning gold in 2014 Asian Games).
Son has been quite unlucky with both occasions, not selected for the OG team in 2012 (Swansea's Ki won exemption through this) and for the later ones Leverkusen did not allow him to leave for the AG (Asian Games is not the official FIFA competition so that the clubs don't need to send their players).

I do believe that Son will have a strong chance to get selected for the next AG and winning the competition, although other outcomes will severely impact his resale value. He can defer the service until 27 because after that age, he cannot play for Sangmu or Police while on service, only can serve in the ranks.

Anyway, I do not believe that Spurs are buying his contract due to promote any shirt sale or allure Korean tourist to WHL, as YP Lee did not really improve the popularity of Spurs in Korea (I know he was a defender, but still the result won't be drastically different, IMO). Proven in the international stage as well as the Bundesliga, he is generally regarded as the best player of SK along with Ki. Usually scores fantastic goals, very pacey, comfortable at both feet, and also can be decisive in big games. He probably needs to improve his judgement, and first touches can be a problem. It will be interesting to see him at WHL for sure, very energetic player.

COYS
Thanks and welcome!!

Hello-

COYS

Welcome :) what player would you compare him to? When you say pacey are we talking Lennon, Walcott, bale? What's his passing like?

Welcome :) what player would you compare him to? When you say pacey are we talking Lennon, Walcott, bale? What's his passing like?
I don't think he has the pace of Bale or Lennon. I guess he's similar to a taller Walcott or an in-form Adam Johnson (sounds mythical almost to say that)... Similar to Bale but also very different. In a way, he's also similar to Henry at Juve or Robben at PSV. The closest analogue would be the player he replaced at Leverkusen, which is Schuerrle. Passing is decent but he's certainly not a no. 10 type. He's a scorer and when on form, he can score from anywhere in and around the box with both feet at all angles. And he loves scoring against BVB Dortmund. But when he's not in form, he's very frustrating to watch. That almost sounds like someone Lamela should have been but wasn't...

Just had a look at UEFA's Champions League page. Son Heung Min is not listed as part of tonight's starting lineup for Bayer. And considering that they are playing at home, it would seem he is indeed already in London.

Sky Sports. Wrong again.

Hard to compare anyone in the squad. He likes to cut in and shoot as an inverted winger than cross the ball. I wouldn't say he is Walker/Lennon fast but he constantly showed his pace in Bundesliga, making defenders trail him bunch of the times. Very,very direct, likes to run at defender. His passing is improving but his technique on the ball isn't his main strength, beside shooting. He was MoM in the first WC match in 2014 against Russia, and was the only bright spot for SK in the second match against Algeria, when we lost 2-4, scoring one goal.

I remember him saying that he didn't speak too much English, although I witnessed that he was blending in very well with the HSV squad back when I was working with them in 2012. He moved to Germany when he was a teenager so language/culture (which usually plays a big part for Asian players in Europe) won't be an issue.

Hope this helps-

Thanks bros. I've been lurking YEARS.. now just praying we fix the holes in the limited transfer window asap (arghhhhh)

Hello-

COYS

Welcome to the board!
A very simple but at the same time difficult question from me:
Do you believe he is good enough to play in the PL, and to be a positive difference for us?
Have fun over here, nothing is as good as a good ol' glory-glory discussion :)

Welcome to the board!
A very simple but at the same time difficult question from me:
Do you believe he is good enough to play in the PL, and to be a positive difference for us?
Have fun over here, nothing is as good as a good ol' glory-glory discussion :)
I know the question wasn't posed to me, but I'll take a crack. He grew up at HSV in their academy and was expected to score from a very early age. And he's played at Bayer Leverkusen and fulfilled his expectations by replacing the vacancy left being by Schurrle.

He's a proven scorer in the bundesliga, in the national set up, in the world cup, in the asian cup and in the champions league. The question shouldn't be whether he's good enough to play in the prem. The question should be will elevate Spurs to break into a champions league spot.

He's frustrating and goes into lulls. But he's far better value and more proven than Berahino who's never had a chance to play at the levels of competition that Son HM has played in to date.

Back