• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

So, what happened today?

I was doing 3:2 Office to Home but in my 1st team call they said they only go in Thursdays, sometimes a Wednesday too if needed

You end up not really part of a team? Of course saving time and cost commuting are upsides, as are taking meetings from the sofa! Casmera on for intros and discretely turn off...

I am trying to get our team back into the office and have at least 3:2, as we need to communicate and build a new service.

You end up not really part of a team? Of course saving time and cost commuting are upsides, as are taking meetings from the sofa! Casmera on for intros and discretely turn off...

I am trying to get our team back into the office and have at least 3:2, as we need to communicate and build a new service.
After doing a fully remote contract for a year and hating it I want to do at least 2 days in the office and will go in Wed & Thu

I had a contract job last year where I did no work between August and November. I had dependencies on some stuff upstream which didn’t happen lol.

I tell a lie, I sent in my invoice on a Friday.

And then I got an extension in February as nothing had been done.

The job I had before that (for three months) there was no contact for the first month.

So last year I did three months actual work and paid for what, 9.

I am the countries productivity drain. And actually I much prefer to churn out some work.
Were you working for Boris?

Fellas I have some work for you if bored :D Working too hard atm. I think wfh often allows people to slip under the radar. If everyone was in the office, you would have things landing on your desk?

Hard to recuite people atm as everyone wants to wfh. But you can't build a culture or bounce ideas of colleagues so easily.
I think it depends what industry you're in.

Covid forced everyone to WFH, not so bad when work mates and teamwork/dynamics were already formed. But now if you're a new recruit or setting up a new department or running with a new idea it can be difficult to get a 'feel' for things with everyone remote. Of course, the success of WFH is also dependant on an individuals character. Plus where an individual lives can have a big bearing on whether they're keen on the idea. In fact, it will play much more into property purchases going forward. (and give so much more flexibility on choice of location)

I'm sure tech will continue getting better and even the tools available now aren't used to their maximum potential.

I'm pretty much full-time at home these days (one might say institutionalised:))

Everybody should be allowed to work at home, and offices across the land should be repurposed as desk rental hubs so that everyone can work from a nearby office if they fancy it.

Face to face team meetings should be no more frequent than quarterly, and held in hotels. Salespeople who insist on face to face meetings should book a room at the nearest desk rental hub to the prospect’s house, and they should bring cakes by way of apology.

Everybody should be allowed to work at home, and offices across the land should be repurposed as desk rental hubs so that everyone can work from a nearby office if they fancy it.

Face to face team meetings should be no more frequent than quarterly, and held in hotels. Salespeople who insist on face to face meetings should book a room at the nearest desk rental hub to the prospect’s house, and they should bring cakes by way of apology.

Utopia.

I think it also depends on what you are paid. And there is an intersting class divide kinda thing going on possibly..? People with more responsibility are trusted to wfh, lower paid positions seem to be increasingly in the office/warehouse/restaurant etc. Not exclusively, but there is a divide.

WFH isn't ideal if you have a real job where you actually have to do things that matter - Can't see many shelf stackers, builders, teachers, taxi drivers or nurses being able to pull it off.

For tossy middle class flimflam jobs poking around in spreadsheets or having "meetings" listening to someone essentially role playing a character who believes whatever the company is doing is important and having to play along with that by nodding occasionally or throwing some business jargon in there once in a while, it works well enough no doubt.

Where possible there should be the flexibility and option to WFH though for sure, as discussed a hybrid approach seems the best. Your hub suggestion is a nice one but most companies that I've worked for that suggested hotdesking almost caused riots, people who are nestled in to their spot where they pretend to do things aren't really open to change or sharing in my experience.

WFH isn't ideal if you have a real job where you actually have to do things that matter - Can't see many shelf stackers, teachers, taxi drivers or nurses being able to pull it off.
All of those jobs will be done soon enough by robots, whose human supervisors can easily intervene from their sofas.

As for the Graeberesque attack on knowledge workers, pshaw.

All of those jobs will be done soon enough by robots, whose human supervisors can easily intervene from their sofas.

How delightfully dystopian! I don't quite see it myself, they can't get make a self checkout till that doesn't freak out at anything unexpected so I reckon us humans will have some use for at least a little while.

Where possible there should be the flexibility and option to WFH though for sure, as discussed a hybrid approach seems the best. Your hub suggestion is a nice one but most companies that I've worked for that suggested hotdesking almost caused riots, people who are nestled in to their spot where they pretend to do things aren't really open to change or sharing in my experience.

Hotdesking offends against all our natural territorial instincts, so any youngster supervising a nursing/educating/shelf-stacking droid who wanted to do so from the local hub would ask their facilities manager to block-book their preferred desk on a rolling contract.

Utopia.

I think it also depends on what you are paid. And there is an intersting class divide kinda thing going on possibly..? People with more responsibility are trusted to wfh, lower paid positions seem to be increasingly in the office/warehouse/restaurant etc. Not exclusively, but there is a divide.
I agree...waiting staff and fork lift truck drivers should be allowed to work from home.

Not getting my laptop until next Wednesday, so getting a weeks pay before I've even logged on hahahaha
That's brilliant

For tossy middle class flimflam jobs poking around in spreadsheets or having "meetings" listening to someone essentially role playing a character who believes whatever the company is doing is important and having to play along with that by nodding occasionally or throwing some business jargon in there once in a while, it works well enough no doubt.
So true. Chapeau for making me laugh out loud.

...and every 6/12 months the faces (actors) change as the merry go round keeps on rolling.

Disagree; my team work very closely and MSTeams video call each other multiple times each day to talk through issues. This grinds to a halt when one of the geniuses decides to go into the office because the WiFi is slow and I can hear the person next to them as loud as they are and they have to go find a room... the teamwork and communication is far better when we are all at home.

Back in the days of being in the office, nobody was at their desk because they were all in the kitchen or chatting or in meetings, nowadays everyone is at their desk for a video call for 95% of the day and MUCH more work gets done.

Not quite today but two days ago we visited the War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh City (fka Saigon). It was very harrowing stuff, particularly the exhibits about the US use of “Agent Orange” and the effects it is still having today on second and third generations with awful birth defects. Truly upsetting to see.
It is visiting places such as this that re-enforces the futility of war and that it is always the innocents that ultimately bear the brunt.
We went yesterday to the Viet Cong Tunnels outside the city. What an experience that was! Whilst it is well known how narrow and small they are, it was quite unbelievable that people lived in these tunnels and to experience it first hand was something else. Most of the tunnels have been slightly widened to accommodate western tourists but we went into one of the original ones - I think we were the only people when we were there who did this, going by how clean everyone else was and how covered in mud we were from literally crawling on hands and knees for 30 metres. Hot, humid, claustrophobic. But certainly an experience.

Back