• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

sherwood vs redknapp

However, the constant insulting of him on this board and much worse, the constant putting down of a manager who gave us our most consistent league finishes in decades, as well as our only run in the CL that most of us can remember, really quite disrespectful.

Well said.

Well said.

I second this. So much rubbish is said about Redknapp. The three most common things said about him that are completely and laughably baseless are:

1) Tactically naïve. You don't get Spurs to break into the top 4 twice, win the FA Cup with Portsmouth and guide them to their highest league finish in the modern era and get Southampton promoted, get West Ham to finish 5th (!!!!!!) and get Spurs to the Champions League QFs whilst being tactically naïve.

Watch the two legs we played against AC Milan in the CL and tell me Redknapp was tactically naïve. Absolute and total rubbish.

2) Redknapp favoured English players. Absolute rubbish. From Di Canio & Kanoute, to Kranjcar, D'Allessandro, Diarra, Kanu and countless others, Redknapp was good at spotting foreign talent who would do well in England and well in his teams. He always seemed to prefer foreign talent to English due to the budgets he had to work with. Redknapp favoured good technical players.

3) Redknapp was stupid. Yeah, so stupid he managed to outwit HMRC and make them look like complete mugs in court. So stupid, he has the viper-like English tabloid sports media eating out of his hands.

I second this. So much rubbish is said about Redknapp. The three most common things said about him that are completely and laughably baseless are:

1) Tactically naïve. You don't get Spurs to break into the top 4 twice, win the FA Cup with Portsmouth and guide them to their highest league finish in the modern era and get Southampton promoted, get West Ham to finish 5th (!!!!!!) and get Spurs to the Champions League QFs whilst being tactically naïve.

Watch the two legs we played against AC Milan in the CL and tell me Redknapp was tactically naïve. Absolute and total rubbish.

2) Redknapp favoured English players. Absolute rubbish. From Di Canio & Kanoute, to Kranjcar, D'Allessandro, Diarra, Kanu and countless others, Redknapp was good at spotting foreign talent who would do well in England and well in his teams. He always seemed to prefer foreign talent to English due to the budgets he had to work with. Redknapp favoured good technical players.

3) Redknapp was stupid. Yeah, so stupid he managed to outwit HMRC and make them look like complete mugs in court. So stupid, he has the viper-like English tabloid sports media eating out of his hands.

Add "he only wants to buy Phi Neville, Joe Cole and Carlton Cole" to the list despite being an admirer of Loic Remy for years and also wanting to sign Aguero. It's beyond boring now.

I felt pretty much betrayed by Redknapp, it was understandable that he wanted the England job but the way he toed the line was beyond ridiculous, costing us our season. Having said though...

2009: 8th
2010: 4th
2011: 5th
2012: 4th

When was the last time we saw that, the 80s?

Redknapp did very well for us. Some of the criticism he gets is over the top. Sherwood is no where near his level yet because he's only been a manager for 2 minutes.

I have said in the past that I do honestly feel he underachieved in his final year. That team really should have finished at least in the top 3 and won a cup. Frightening level of talent compared to what we are seeing out there today.

Credit though, he made us a cohesive unit. We played some terrific stuff at times. I did feel he stumbled into certain successes though.

i find little between the two:

- media darlings
- gameplan is to outscore the opponent
- no idea about defending as a team
- seems like player selection is all that is needed, players need to "step up" and individual commitment more important than coach tactics and strategy
- white-knuckled finish every game
- a couple of "undroppables"
- pro English coach and players

I'm curious about this one. I've seen quite a lot of criticism of Sherwood in the media for both his tactical niavity and his touchline antics. Who do you think he is getting an easy ride off of?

I'm curious about this one. I've seen quite a lot of criticism of Sherwood in the media for both his tactical niavity and his touchline antics. Who do you think he is getting an easy ride off of?

Exactly milo good point unfortunately it doesn't fit the anti Sherwood narrative/prejudice.

Add "he only wants to buy Phi Neville, Joe Cole and Carlton Cole" to the list despite being an admirer of Loic Remy for years and also wanting to sign Aguero. It's beyond boring now.

that was Levy mate :lol:

Remy was his though.

im not sure what the problem Hootnow is referring too if im honest - i don't see much wrong with how Redknapp is spoken about here - those who rated him remember him fondly, those who didn't don't - why shouldn't that be the case?

The saddest thing for Redknapp was himself. He couldn't resist looking elsewhere, he couldn't maintain 100% focus on the job at hand. As I have consistently said, he was the man who could've had the statue built had he kept his eye on the prize(s) for not one, but TWO seasons running. We had Bale, Modric, VdV, Ade it was a wonderful side with enormous potential for a title/cup glory. But he kept on losing focus. Sherwood is ruthlessly ambitious and raw as steak, but you can see that (providing he learns well) he will develop into a really strong manager who straddles the 'old' and 'new' schools. For him it will be about who he has working with him(in this respect similar to Redknapp, who I always felt should've taken the Fergie route of having a top-drawer Euro coach beside him) I haven't seen enough of Ramsey to know.

The saddest thing for Redknapp was himself. He couldn't resist looking elsewhere, he couldn't maintain 100% focus on the job at hand. As I have consistently said, he was the man who could've had the statue built had he kept his eye on the prize(s) for not one, but TWO seasons running. We had Bale, Modric, VdV, Ade it was a wonderful side with enormous potential for a title/cup glory. But he kept on losing focus. Sherwood is ruthlessly ambitious and raw as steak, but you can see that (providing he learns well) he will develop into a really strong manager who straddles the 'old' and 'new' schools. For him it will be about who he has working with him(in this respect similar to Redknapp, who I always felt should've taken the Fergie route of having a top-drawer Euro coach beside him) I haven't seen enough of Ramsey to know.

Great post mate couldn't have put it better myself.

Two things.

First of all, I agree re: AC away, a masterclass and a superb CL performance tactically. In fact, I'd say his use of Pienaar that night rendered the decision not to involve him more baffling.

And I agree. Redknapp is not stupid. Oh how I wish stupidity was the problem…the one thing all of us will never know, is how much more did he actually have in him? IF he'd focussed 100%, could he have won the title? Or did he know his own limitations better than anyone else and simply find deflective tools to parry away the problems?

We will never know will we…so all we can do is speculate.

No offense, this thread is a ****ing insult to Redknapp

TS will never win a FA Cup
TS will never reach the CL QF's
A TS team will never tear Inter a new ass ...

They were both pretty bad by the time they arrived at spurs. But as a creative player I always though Jamie Redknapp at least had the potential to do something once he fully fit. Sherwood was just pure dog**** throughout his years here

If he was so clever ..why did he ruin our season when we could have got at least 3rd in the prem? Instead he just had his mind on the England job..The rest is History....

Sherwood V Neill
Francis V Buckingham
Nicolson V Woodward

What a waste of time.

SHERWOOD IS THE MANAGER Wait until next season and see what happens, then you'll probably have someone else to hate. This site is getting more toxic each day.

Agree that it is time to lay off Sherwood. I think he is a prat but that doesn't mean that he won't evolve into a decent manager. My son, many years my junior, quite likes the fact we have promoted a member of the football club, and an ex player. Tim is keen to award himself credit for our successes ("that little talk I gave them after the Chelsea didn't do em any harm") but his substitutions worked well today. 7 games left, let's see how he motivates the players.

that was Levy mate :lol:

Remy was his though.

im not sure what the problem Hootnow is referring too if im honest - i don't see much wrong with how Redknapp is spoken about here - those who rated him remember him fondly, those who didn't don't - why shouldn't that be the case?

That just sums it up. EVERY good signing we made under him was Levy and Redknapp knew nothing about it. All the bad ones were Redknapp. I'm not having a go at you, it's the rhetoric that is passed the stage of being boring.

What is Hootnow referring to? Calling him saggy? Giving him no credit for us finishing 4th twice, it was all down to Comolli's signings, nevermind that we were bottom when Redknapp rocked up :lol: Ramos still could have done the same apparently, he just needed time.

Two things.

First of all, I agree re: AC away, a masterclass and a superb CL performance tactically. In fact, I'd say his use of Pienaar that night rendered the decision not to involve him more baffling.

And I agree. Redknapp is not stupid. Oh how I wish stupidity was the problem…the one thing all of us will never know, is how much more did he actually have in him? IF he'd focussed 100%, could he have won the title? Or did he know his own limitations better than anyone else and simply find deflective tools to parry away the problems?

We will never know will we…so all we can do is speculate.

Add Arsenal and Chelsea at home during the 09/10 season to that list. Arsenal came alive in the last 15 minutes when the game was slipping away but we did an unbelievable job containing them for 75 minutes. We absolutely blew Chelsea away 3 days later and should have stuck 6 past them, and this was a Chelsea team that walked the league in the end, won the double and were smashing teams for fun towards the end under Ancellotti.

Back