• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Several days until I attend my next meeting of Pedants Anonymous

I think that they call themselves the alt-write now

giphy.gif

I want @Roland Beurre to facebook live/periscope his attempt?

It's only fair.

I scored nine out of 10, but I disagreed with the one I got "wrong".

"Most style guides recommended a single apostrophe to form the possessive of Biblical or classical names."

Most style guides are inconsistent, then. The above rule would suggest that we should be writing Jehovah' Witness, and not Jehovah's Witness.

Yes. Jesus never had a crash helmet.

For the singular possessive of a name ending with an 's' I would normally just add an apostrophe to the end, as they said.

As in I'll ask Ross' opinion, rather than Ross's opinion? It sounds a bit odd when you say it out loud, though some would argue there should be different rules for written and spoken English.

I just know that given the choice between having Keith Richards playing on my album and Cliff Richard playing on it, I'd prefer Richards's guitar to Richard's guitar, and under my preferred rules I am more likely to get it than you are.

Given the choice of spending the night sharing a bed with Joan and sharing a bed with Welsh cesspit cleaner Jones the Pong, I'd prefer spending the night in Joan's bed than Jones's bed.

You get the drift ...

I only got 7 :oops:

I can hear one of Roland's death squads coming up the stairs. Nice knowing you all.

As it happens, I resolved this year to give up pedantry. I have been mostly successful in my attempt but occasionally lapse whenever I hear someone in a bar or coffee shop say: "Can I get a skinny latte?"

Of course, when self-service establishments take over the world, this question would be answered in the affirmative but by whom*, I don't know.

* Don't ask me to explain the rules on whom/who, either. I've looked it up several times and the info still has not stuck.

I scored nine out of 10, but I disagreed with the one I got "wrong".

"Most style guides recommended a single apostrophe to form the possessive of Biblical or classical names."

Most style guides are inconsistent, then. The above rule would suggest that we should be writing Jehovah' Witness, and not Jehovah's Witness.
You're absolutely correct and we both scored 10/10

Just noticed on BBC News bodies have been found of the missing Myanmar military aircraft and the Burmese Army are continuing the search. I know it's a tragedy but shouldn't they be the Myanmar Army? and where's my Chicken Chennai?

Back