• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Set Pieces

its not just corners that they must be practicing, we had a free kick in the first half that Eriksen got it to Davies on edge of the 6 yd box, something we don't normally see
I agree most teams will get 7-10 corners a game, so you need 4 different corner moves that you practice each week,
When I coached kids at school & local village teams (both boys & Girls) at the end of training before they played match we practiced 3 kick off moves, yes it took 10-15 mins each week, but they knew if move 1 was blocked they did move 2(etct etc) we scored lots of goals or got corners from these moves, and we just train once a week, so its easy to set aside time to practice corners or free kicks (and important to practice them)

its not just corners that they must be practicing, we had a free kick in the first half that Eriksen got it to Davies on edge of the 6 yd box, something we don't normally see
I agree most teams will get 7-10 corners a game, so you need 4 different corner moves that you practice each week,
When I coached kids at school & local village teams (both boys & Girls) at the end of training before they played match we practiced 3 kick off moves, yes it took 10-15 mins each week, but they knew if move 1 was blocked they did move 2(etct etc) we scored lots of goals or got corners from these moves, and we just train once a week, so its easy to set aside time to practice corners or free kicks (and important to practice them)

It’s half of that, the PL average is 11 corners per game total.

You are mis-quoting me. I never said we should PRIORITISE corners. I said we need to pay them some attention. Today we had 13 corners. How long is it from the time the ball goes out of play and the corner is awarded until it is taken and " the phase " over?. I would guess 45 seconds on average. So today, that means about 10 minutes approximately of the game is taken up by our corners. To neglect that period of a game (as some assert that it is a waste of time practicing corners) would be negligent of the coaching staff to my mind. We know we will get about 7-10 corners every game. These are taken from exactly the same place in every game. So it isn't rocket science to say come up with three different plans for corners.

In any event, it is clear that we have recently started to practice different corners - much to the distress of the nay--sayers who don't think this a worthwhile endeavour. We have used different corner takers and we have varied our corners, even taking short corners or deeper corners. The result of all our practise was rewarded with today's winning goal.

My principal gripe, when I started this thread, was threefold. Eriksen took every corner. Almost all his corners were cut out by the first man. And, all our players were grouped in and around the six yard box, just bobbing up and down, without the room to properly attack the crossed ball. Slowly, slowly we are addressing these issues. As a result we should now score more goals from corners. As I have always argued, even a small increase in our return from corners can prove massive - just as it did today and earn us a crucial extra two points, which could just be vital to our top 4 prospects at the end of the season.
Who has said that we shouldn't practice corners? Haven't you said in the past that we should practice them more, ergo prioritize them higher than we have in the past?

Surely a lot of our training is relevant in the phase following a corner. To say that we're negligent for ten minutes of the game seems really strange to me. General attacking play training is clearly also beneficial in those phases.

Maybe we have trained more for corners recently. I imagine it's fairly standard to focus on different things throughout the season. Maybe there are other factors involved. I see no reason to think that Pochettino is or has been negligent on this. I see no reason to think Pochettino has changed his approach to this markedly.

Who has said that we shouldn't practice corners? Haven't you said in the past that we should practice them more, ergo prioritize them higher than we have in the past?

Surely a lot of our training is relevant in the phase following a corner. To say that we're negligent for ten minutes of the game seems really strange to me. General attacking play training is clearly also beneficial in those phases.

Maybe we have trained more for corners recently. I imagine it's fairly standard to focus on different things throughout the season. Maybe there are other factors involved. I see no reason to think that Pochettino is or has been negligent on this. I see no reason to think Pochettino has changed his approach to this markedly.

If you go back through this thread you will find several posters saying it is a waste of time practising corners as the rate of actually scoring from them is so low.

I have consistently argued that we should practice corners but this doesn't imply they should be prioritised over other aspects. To argue, as some do, that training time is absolutely finite, is a complete nonsense to my mind.As we have about 7-10 corners every game, not to practice them would be stupid.. Apparently we practice kick-offs and throw-ins (according to Poch's reported remark on MOTD!) so it would be remarkable if we didn't practice corners as well.

An interesting piece from last season, a good perspective IMO. In fairness to Pirate, he has been nothing less than 120% consistent on his assertion that not enough work is done on corners at the club, spanning three managers (well, two and a bit - Sherwood does not count as a whole anything other than taco) thus he is not just critiquing Pochettino but several who appear to have trodden the same path of "disregard"...

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...fence-of-the-corner-a-much-maligned-set-piece

An interesting piece from last season, a good perspective IMO. In fairness to Pirate, he has been nothing less than 120% consistent on his assertion that not enough work is done on corners at the club, spanning three managers (well, two and a bit - Sherwood does not count as a whole anything other than taco) thus he is not just critiquing Pochettino but several who appear to have trodden the same path of "disregard"...

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...fence-of-the-corner-a-much-maligned-set-piece
an interesting acticle, with some good views, re-protection of keepers, and need to drop the ball just over the first defender, but should the coaches/players be more creative in the approach to the corner

an interesting acticle, with some good views, re-protection of keepers, and need to drop the ball just over the first defender, but should the coaches/players be more creative in the approach to the corner

Personally? I am very happy with how we approach football matches. Do I grumble at the odd brick corner? Yes. But frankly, I look for us to score on opposition set-pieces/counter-attack as much as I look for someone to stick it in the onion bag from one of our corners...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

The Tweet isn't loading for me, so I don't know what it says, but I was very happy when Lamela swung over a corner which was NOT near post. It went straight to Foyth who got a strong header at goal. True, Lamela swung it out of play on the way, but it was so nice to see some variation, rather than hitting the first man in the chest or knee.
Statistically though, inswingers to the near post have the highest chance of a conversion. So if you want to argue that we should practice our corners, these are the kind of corners we should be taking the majority of the time. Of course, if you do it all the time you become predictable, so a little variation will throw the opposing team off, but it would still be your most common corner execution.

Edit: just noticed that @RunTMC posted the same about near-post corners.

Statistically though, inswingers to the near post have the highest chance of a conversion. So if you want to argue that we should practice our corners, these are the kind of corners we should be taking the majority of the time. Of course, if you do it all the time you become predictable, so a little variation will throw the opposing team off, but it would still be your most common corner execution.
If you're basing it on statistics, then short corners are only slightly less likely to create a goal, but massively less likely to result in the opponent scoring.

In terms of overall xG no other option comes close to a short corner.

Edit: just noticed that @RunTMC posted the same about near-post corners.
Great minds, eh?

If you're basing it on statistics, then short corners are only slightly less likely to create a goal, but massively less likely to result in the opponent scoring.

In terms of overall xG no other option comes close to a short corner.

Haven't City stopped crossing direct from corners because of this?

I'm well bought into the facts that corners, and crosses in general, aren't effective.

But it does frustrate me how poor Eriksen's deliveries generally are. It's a bit like Modric's shooting. He's obviously got the abilities to hit the ball perfectly in all other situations, he just has a mental block with corners (and Modric when facing a GK).

For me Lamela, Trippier and probably others are much better corner takers. I do wonder if the logic for keeping Eriksen on them is simply because he's the worst at heading of our attacking players?

We've not had a consistently good set piece taker since Anderton.

I'm well bought into the facts that corners, and crosses in general, aren't effective.

But it does frustrate me how poor Eriksen's deliveries generally are. It's a bit like Modric's shooting. He's obviously got the abilities to hit the ball perfectly in all other situations, he just has a mental block with corners (and Modric when facing a GK).

For me Lamela, Trippier and probably others are much better corner takers. I do wonder if the logic for keeping Eriksen on them is simply because he's the worst at heading of our attacking players?

We've not had a consistently good set piece taker since Anderton.

From the corners I've seen recently where we have used the in swinger, Davies seems to be the most consistent from the right hand side.

What I really don't understand is that eriksen is our best chance of a goal from a shot from outside the box, so some one else takes the corner with eriksen lurking 25 yards out ready to shoot should the corner be cleared.
Seems pretty obvious to me.

Back