• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

The jury is actually out on all our RBs. Trippier was brilliant against Real but that's far from his usual standard - granted he's not that often a liability but equally he doesn't often take his man on, instead turning backwards and been 'ok' rather than even 'good'. Aurier looks to me to have greater potential than Trippier given his greater pace and athleticism should make him more Walker-esque than Trippier and more of an attacking force...however at the moment he's a liability. He's also a good bit young so greater scope for improvements. Lastly, Walker-Peters possibly has greater potential than both the senior guys but isn't getting much game time and I cant see when he would, absent some injuries. Unless one of the senior guys is sold next summer, I think he needs a loan next year and then come back to replace Trippier/Aurier the year after
Trippier has been very good for about half a season or so now. Since he started getting regular game time in the spring when Walker threw his toys out of the pram.

His attacking contribution really is beyond question right now.

Trippier has been very good for about half a season or so now. Since he started getting regular game time in the spring when Walker threw his toys out of the pram.

His attacking contribution really is beyond question right now.

I'm not sure I'd say 'very good' - he's had games (e.g. last Wed) when he's been excellent however there have also been plenty of games where he's appeared to not want to take the opposition full back on which in a 3-5-2 is a real problem. He's now got an opportunity to stake a long-term claim to the shirt - however, in my view, the jury is still out on whether he's really good enough to be a consistent performer for a top 4 team.

I can get on Board with most of that but I do think you're being a bit dismissive of Trippier. He gets asssit after assist, even if he's not as explosive as say Walker his attacking productivity is probably better.....
I agree, I worried when walker left that although Trippier has ability he would get found out defensively in the big 6 games (or CL), that hasn't happened and the one thing he has continued to do is assist. He is in the top 5 crossers in the league.

I think people get a bit too hung up on full backs "taking on" their opponent. See the Davies/Rose thread.

Its over rated, IMO. Excellent passing/movement/delivery is just as, if not more effective.
In Auriers case it’s not just taking on, in general he just always goes backwards when he gets the ball to feet....

I think people get a bit too hung up on full backs "taking on" their opponent. See the Davies/Rose thread.

Its over rated, IMO. Excellent passing/movement/delivery is just as, if not more effective.
Agree fully. Take on a player, maybe beat him then put a hopeful ball in the mixer. Alternatively keep going with pass and move football until such a time a good cross can be picked out for an intended target in a bit of space.

9 assists in around 1100 minutes of PL football this season and last for Trippier. So obviously people complain about him not taking on his opposing full back enough... It's like complaining that Beckham didn't take on his full back often enough.

What's odd is that I understood he was rapid, not Walker pace but still quick yet I rarely see him beat anyone for pace. I also understood that he was a superb crosser of the ball, again I've not seen any evidence of that either but only a few games in so hopefully he'll settle.

I'm not sure I'd say 'very good' - he's had games (e.g. last Wed) when he's been excellent however there have also been plenty of games where he's appeared to not want to take the opposition full back on which in a 3-5-2 is a real problem. He's now got an opportunity to stake a long-term claim to the shirt - however, in my view, the jury is still out on whether he's really good enough to be a consistent performer for a top 4 team.

I don’t have any questions about Trippier’s attacking prowess. I’m more concerned with his defensive abilities. For me, the jury is still out on whether he is good enough defensively for a top 4 side.

What's odd is that I understood he was rapid, not Walker pace but still quick yet I rarely see him beat anyone for pace. I also understood that he was a superb crosser of the ball, again I've not seen any evidence of that either but only a few games in so hopefully he'll settle.
He's crap then. Kick him out and bring in someone from the street. Should be easy enough to just run past a defender and put in a pin point cross at full pelt. If he can't do that at least a couple of times each game, he's not worth holding on to.

A combination of no wanyama as protection and sissoko playing and covering you going forward should be enough to make any rb wary of taking on a man and losing out and giving the opposition the chance to break.

The problem is that what we're seeing matches perfectly with his reputation at PSG, where he was settled. These clownshoe moments simply cannot be attributed to this being his first season.

If Pochettino can coach those out of him or not remains to be seen. If that happens we might have a quality player on our hands. For now Trippier continues to look the better player, as he has all season.

Doesn't really matter, in my opinion - a decision on whether these moments are inherent to him or just the result of him being unused to the league cannot justifiably be made in his first season. At least, imo.

I agree with Trippier looking the better option, though.

This is his first season. Anyone expecting anything from him hasn't yet learned the lesson we as a club have tried to emphasize for years on end - that players need time.

Davinson Sanchez is one in a million. 999,999 players will not settle in the way he has. It's unfair judging anyone by that standard.

Give him a season to settle in, and see what he can do next year.

This

I don't think we need to worry abour our pool of full-backs, they are all good. Aurier just needs more time with Poch on the training pitch.

This

A combination of no wanyama as protection and sissoko playing and covering you going forward should be enough to make any rb wary of taking on a man and losing out and giving the opposition the chance to break.

And especially this.

Doesn't really matter, in my opinion - a decision on whether these moments are inherent to him or just the result of him being unused to the league cannot justifiably be made in his first season. At least, imo.

I agree with Trippier looking the better option, though.
We'll have to disagree on that one then.

For me these errors seem more like poor decision making and less like settling in problems. Him making similar errors for PSG strengthens that argument I think.

For this to be minimized he has to develop/mature as a player, not just settle in. Given his age, seeming motivation and Pochettino as his coach I'm optimistic about that happening. But I'm also somewhat realistic in that concentration and decision making takes time to develop.

We'll have to disagree on that one then.

For me these errors seem more like poor decision making and less like settling in problems. Him making similar errors for PSG strengthens that argument I think.

For this to be minimized he has to develop/mature as a player, not just settle in. Given his age, seeming motivation and Pochettino as his coach I'm optimistic about that happening. But I'm also somewhat realistic in that concentration and decision making takes time to develop.

Fine, let's agree to disagree. I'd really like to see some examples of these similar errors at PSG, though, if you can find some.

Back