• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Season Ticket Renewal Talk

There's a whole science around the value of customers and memberships that lead up to the multi million dollar sponsorships that you see. Think about sponsorships its not just straight line projections from Man Us or Pool's - there are quality measures that go into it that will affect how much sponsors will pay. A declining core membership base is always worrisome and levy will be watching the "quality" of his season ticket revenue closely (loyal customers = higher quality in general).

You can read about how Netflix/Facebook stock valuations are impacted by its core or loyal customers - e.g. losing core while growing sends out mixed signals. What sponsors ideally want is adding to a loyal bunch of core customers - there's an assumption that new customers will be more sticky. Some churn is good but only against bad customers (e.g. regularly defaulting/ causing customer services issues). Generally churn isn't perceived as a good thing for any membership body.

I completely understand customer KPI's but I think you are fishing here

- In a Covid affected world, customer churn would be likely perceived as economic more than anything else
- Football clubs can't be measured like a subscription service or a Facebook because the product (actual stadium seats) is limited (subscription services have to show growth even more than churn).
- If our story is 40K season ticket holders with an 80K waiting list (making up numbers purely as example) and a 10% churn (I'd be amazed if season ticket churn is that high), I would not see how any advertiser would call that as a problem.

How does it hurt the books? you don't renew, one of the six people on the waiting list take the option?

What's the lesson again? don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out?
It actually wouldn't take too long of an average product for top level prices for the ST waiting list to be exhausted.

Last edited:

- In a Covid affected world, customer churn would be likely perceived as economic more than anything else
- Football clubs can't be measured like a subscription service or a Facebook because the product (actual stadium seats) is limited (subscription services have to show growth even more than churn).
- If our story is 40K season ticket holders with an 80K waiting list (making up numbers purely as example) and a 10% churn (I'd be amazed if season ticket churn is that high), I would not see how any advertiser would call that as a problem.
In a usual year there is apparently just under 5% churn for ST holders. Last year they were going quite a long way down the waiting list offering tickets (friend's son got one and he had a very high number indeed). If Spurs took off the additional benefits for the ST waiting list members then we'd see how big the ST waiting list was in reality I think.

Well I am speaking from having worked in a global membership body and made accountable for retention targets (core/loyal) and seperately, acquisition targets (new). Then there is this whole piece of work to ensure that new customers continue to spend and don't drop off - they generally drop off faster on average than the core audience.

It is of course possible that THFC has a totally different behaviour and Levy not care about quality more than churn - in which case it would explain his outlook on how we recruit our players (topline financial figures and not quality) ;)

Well I am speaking from having worked in a global membership body and made accountable for retention targets (core/loyal) and seperately, acquisition targets (new). Then there is this whole piece of work to ensure that new customers continue to spend and don't drop off - they generally drop off faster on average than the core audience.

It is of course possible that THFC has a totally different behaviour and Levy not care about quality more than churn - in which case it would explain his outlook on how we recruit our players (topline financial figures and not quality) ;)

Yep, have clients who measure similarly, new, loyal, digital.

I'm pretty sure the club measures it, takes action/planning on it.

I'm just not sure that this season of all, a non substantial percentage of fans not renewing would have any noticeable impact on the club.

Interesting following blog above that my Season Ticket purchase was accredited to Tottenham Hotspur stadium Ltd.

Last edited:
Apart from financial reasons I don't understand why people would not renew their season tickets.

Money, circumstances/priorities change, wanting to spend more time with family, disillusionment with the club/hierarchy. Not saying any of those apply to me but I’m less enthusiastic about renewing this season than I have been since I got my ST in 2015. I’ll renew before the deadline but I’d rather have the money in my account for as long as possible rather than theirs.

Does getting a season ticket get you to sit at the big boys table with regards to away tickets,cup final tickets and away euro tickets? Does length of holding a ST or membership points count as well or not?

Might be getting an email after June 3 saying i can get a season ticket if i want to.

Does getting a season ticket get you to sit at the big boys table with regards to away tickets,cup final tickets and away euro tickets? Does length of holding a ST or membership points count as well or not?

Might be getting an email after June 3 saying i can get a season ticket if i want to.

With a new season ticket, yes you'll get to sit at the big boys table, but only at the bottom end where the food often runs out before it gets to you.
ST ticketing points (fka loyalty points) are all that matters (accrued on a rolling 5 year basis). Points accrued as a member are irrelevant. 1 ST point is worth more than 500 member points.
You'll get to apply for tickets but it will take time to build the points needed to have a good chance for any but the most inconvenient away game. In our last season pre-covid I got away tickets for the Middlesborough cup game (which I was then too ill to go to) and Red Star Belgrade which was the final away game in our group. (I think there was more availability for Olympiakos as well but I was away so didn't apply for that one). I applied for pretty much everything.
This season I might have been in with a chance of a League Cup final ticket, as the allocations are larger than for the FAC.
It's hard to know how things will pan out for the ECL - there may be less interest due to the level of the competition but on the other hand, playing in new venues/cities will likely be an attraction in itself.

Used to, not so much now really when it comes to domestic away games for me anyway. I've had a ST for 20 years, me and my mates probably did on average 2-5 away games a season but don't even manage that anymore. For example I used to get a ticket for Palace away every season for years but games like that are near impossible now.

Cup finals I've never had an issue with, that may get harder as the allocations dwindle more and more and I don't manage to get any additional points for away games. 41k season ticket holders now right? so plenty are missing out on cup finals now.

Euro away games I've managed to get tickets for the big allocations in the last few years, didn't manage Ajax away sadly... but got Dortmund in the L16 that year for example.

Oh and if the club continues to hand out tickets to "vloggers and influencers" at the rate they currently do the whole fudging stadium will be full of clams filming themselves watching a game instead of... actual fans sooner or later.

Does getting a season ticket get you to sit at the big boys table with regards to away tickets, cup final tickets and away euro tickets? Does length of holding a ST or membership points count as well or not?

As per Glenda and SS away tickets are a closed shop now and have been since the advent of the £30 limit. As a member I used to go to 15 or so away games a season and only 4 or 5 home games. Like you home games are "away" for me, whilst the likes of the Scousers, Mancs and Geordies/Mackems are a short (relatively) distance away. I can walk to Elland Road. Been to 40+ grounds to date doing that.

Now I'm the same as Glenda, last away game was Boro' in the cup and before that MK (and that was a home game!). The people who currently attend (or buy :rolleyes:) the away tickets get the loyalty points and continue to stay ahead of those who never get the chance. Vicious Circle. Was better when we used to get charged full price. £50+ for a game up North starts to test peoples' loyalty/enthusiasm.

Bitter? Moi? ;)

That said if you get the chance of an ST do it!

As per Glenda and SS away tickets are a closed shop now and have been since the advent of the £30 limit. As a member I used to go to 15 or so away games a season and only 4 or 5 home games. Like you home games are "away" for me, whilst the likes of the Scousers, Mancs and Geordies/Mackems are a short (relatively) distance away. I can walk to Elland Road. Been to 40+ grounds to date doing that.

Now I'm the same as Glenda, last away game was Boro' in the cup and before that MK (and that was a home game!). The people who currently attend (or buy :rolleyes:) the away tickets get the loyalty points and continue to stay ahead of those who never get the chance. Vicious Circle. Was better when we used to get charged full price. £50+ for a game up North starts to test peoples' loyalty/enthusiasm.

Bitter? Moi? ;)

That said if you get the chance of an ST do it!
A big problem here is that a lot of those with high numbers of points just apply for every single away game irrespective of whether or not they use the ticket. It's only £30 to protect their loyalty points position and they just send the ticket up to be sold on the day by their friends' group. I have gone to a fair few away games up North and bagged additional tickets for friends or family via this method.

A big problem here is that a lot of those with high numbers of points just apply for every single away game irrespective of whether or not they use the ticket. It's only £30 to protect their loyalty points position and they just send the ticket up to be sold on the day by their friends' group. I have gone to a fair few away games up North and bagged additional tickets for friends or family via this method.

I know of a few groups, mates of mates who do exactly this. There was one group I was aware of a few years back who collectively had about 15-20 season tickets all at the top of the points table, they would all go most of the time but was always a good fall back option to get an away ticket for a big game, got my ticket to City away in 2010 from them for example. I would imagine it's easily 10x worse now.

Just to add, though it's a frustrating practice it was never anything above face value and they weren't advertised anywhere, was just a who you know kinda thing.

I know of a few groups, mates of mates who do exactly Derp There was one group I was aware of a few years back who collectively had about 15-20 season tickets all at the top of the points table, they would all go most of the time but was always a good fall back option to get an away ticket for a big game, got my ticket to City away in 2010 from them for example. I would imagine it's easily 10x worse now.

Just to add, though it's a frustrating practice it was never anything above face value and they weren't advertised anywhere, was just a who you know kinda thing.

Precisely my point. We all know it goes on and tbf I'd probably do the same myself given the current situation (chance would be a fine thing :rolleyes:) but it's really frustrating for the rest of us. Maybe post COVID we'll all have to ID at away grounds as well as at home. Your names not on the list, you ain't coming in! We live in hope .

Back