• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

of course it is but Levy is renowned for being tight and going in cheap. We hardly ever pay over the odds, which clubs do need to do every now and again to end up getting their targets.

There has to be a point when you call a limit on what you pay for a player ( unless you are Chelski etc), 35 mill is being ripped off and yet you think we should pay that?

Pretty much. Is Martial worth £36m? Is Sterling worth £49m or whatever it is? No. Is Berahino worth £30-£35m? No, but to get your man you need to pay more sometimes.

No they are not ( imo) but the clubs who paid that have bottomless pockets we do not so its hardly the same.

Pretty much. Is Martial worth £36m? Is Sterling worth £49m or whatever it is? No. Is Berahino worth £30-£35m? No, but to get your man you need to pay more sometimes.

Isn't it more realistic to accept that we are not in the same market as United and City and that we need to be canny in the transfer market whilst we are building a new stadium.

No they are not ( imo) but the clubs who paid that have bottomless pockets we do not so its hardly the same.
But we aren't skint by any means so am guessing we can afford that amount on one player. It is just our chairman appears to not go over the odds to get his man, so will more than likely fail in any attempt to get his man 9 times out of 10.

Sometimes if you really want something you pay more to get it. Levy is an astute businessman and I applaud him for it, but sometimes you have to live dangerously and splash out.

The way I see it we have made 4 bids for him and have not signed another striker. I guess we may have to revisit this issue in January, because of Saido really stands by his word they will have to sell him then

Damn. I had a feeling all month that we would sign Berahino.

Doesn't look like it now though. I think he would have improved us as a squad... so it's far from ideal for us to fail in landing him.

On the other hand; despite what the "Levy is the root of all evil" crew claim, it looks to me like West Brom's chairman hasn't exactly covered himself in glory and has potentially alienated one of his top players. So nobody comes out of this well, aside from our league rivals.

But we aren't skint by any means so am guessing we can afford that amount on one player. It is just our chairman appears to not go over the odds to get his man, so will more than likely fail in any attempt to get his man 9 times out of 10.

I am not sure that is true and even if it was if we paid what the likes of Chelski etc can pay we may end up skint, and that is not what we should be doing.

Damn. I had a feeling all month that we would sign Berahino.

Doesn't look like it now though. I think he would have improved us as a squad... so it's far from ideal for us to fail in landing him.

On the other hand; despite what the "Levy is the root of all evil" crew claim, it looks to me like West Brom's chairman hasn't exactly covered himself in glory and has potentially alienated one of his top players. So nobody comes out of this well, aside from our league rivals.
Can you blame Jeremy Peace if Levy did indeed only offer £5 million up front. Why would he part with his biggest asset for that. I'm sure levy would not.

The way I see it we have made 4 bids for him and have not signed another striker. I guess we may have to revisit this issue in January, because of Saido really stands by his word they will have to sell him then

I agree...but probably not to us in Jan. One of the CL clubs that are struggling for goals will be in for him then unfortunately.

What a horrible situation for all concerned.

Fair play to Jeremy Peace for sticking to his guns. I respect that.

I understand why, but they have lost the player anyway, he might not be playing for anyone else but he's now a depreciated asset. At best its a moral victory, and quite a hollow one at that.

We have remained pretty silent on all of this.. West Brom have played it out in public and have strung us along, you dont go back 4 times if you are told NO and he also seem to have given some kind of promise to Berahino

Either way unless we know West Brom have backed out, it would raise questions over Berahino and if he is right type of personality.

Can you blame Jeremy Peace if Levy did indeed only offer £5 million up front. Why would he part with his biggest asset for that. I'm sure levy would not.

This has been a clusterduck from start to finished, but I'm pretty sure that the 5m up front would be pretty standard, no one expects the whole money in one go.

Sometimes if you really want something you pay more to get it. Levy is an astute businessman and I applaud him for it, but sometimes you have to live dangerously and splash out.

Lamela

Back