• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

I like Berahino and would have no problem if he comes here, but what I do not understand is why most are happy to pay ( according to what WBA are supposed to want) 25 million for a guy who has only scored 19 goals in 70 Prem games, yet said that paying 30 million for Benteke who has scored 42 goals in 88 prem games was far too much.

That's a very interesting way of putting it! To be fair, I'd have been happy with Benteke, but I don't think that we would have spent £32m of our money on him. Even if we could, it would probably mean not getting some other signing. Another way is saying do you want Benteke or Berahino and Nije. That in itself is tough. Benteke is proven in this league over a number of seasons. Perhaps it is just that they'd rather spread the money across a number of players instead of just one?

It's hard to say what a fair fee is, but £20m seems the going rate for a young english striker with bags of potential and that you know plays well with your main striker.

I'd be very surprised if we ended up paying more than £20m for Berahino, and if Benteke had a British passport, he'd probably have been £40m as well.

I'd be very surprised if we ended up paying more than £20m for Berahino, and if Benteke had a British passport, he'd probably have been £40m as well.

Agree with the last point. Look at Sterling, or what Luke Shaw went for despite being a left back

That's a very interesting way of putting it! To be fair, I'd have been happy with Benteke, but I don't think that we would have spent £32m of our money on him. Even if we could, it would probably mean not getting some other signing. Another way is saying do you want Benteke or Berahino and Nije. That in itself is tough. Benteke is proven in this league over a number of seasons. Perhaps it is just that they'd rather spread the money across a number of players instead of just one?

It's hard to say what a fair fee is, but £20m seems the going rate for a young english striker with bags of potential and that you know plays well with your main striker.

I would have liked to have seen Benteke here but it was not meant to be, however IF there is only 7 mill between the fees the better record of Benteke would suggest that it would be Berahino was the one overpriced.

Of course it does depend on what we pay for Berahino ( if we do sign him).

I would have liked to have seen Benteke here but it was not meant to be, however IF there is only 7 mill between the fees the better record of Benteke would suggest that it would be Berahino was the one overpriced.

Fair but you're not including the English premium that seems to be attached to all home-grown players. This is obviously important to clubs seeing as they're paying a premium for it.

That may well be the case, but it makes no difference to what I posted.

No, I agree, but if there is such a thing as someone happy to pay £25m for Berahino, but thinks Benteke overpriced at £30m, it might be part of their equation.

Fair but you're not including the English premium that seems to be attached to all home-grown players. This is obviously important to clubs seeing as they're paying a premium for it.

I do not disagree, but if we do pay 25 million ( and I have no idea if we will) we are still only paying a little less then we would have done for Benteke who has the better record.

I will say again I have no problem and I hope we get him just raising a point.

No, I agree, but if there is such a thing as someone happy to pay £25m for Berahino, but thinks Benteke overpriced at £30m, it might be part of their equation.

Fair enough, but its not when you compere what you get for the money. However it seems I have stirred up a bees nest with what was only a observation.

I do not disagree, but if we do pay 25 million ( and I have no idea if we will) we are still only paying a little less then we would have done for Benteke who has the better record.

I will say again I have no problem and I hope we get him just raising a point.

It has certainly made me think. I don't think you've stirred up a bees nest btw, just promoted discussion! As I said before, I hadn't thought of it like that.

I dont think you can use Berahino's record in the prem and compare him to Benteke. First off they play in slightly different positions. But the Main reason being that Berahino is a young player who has come through the ranks and is getting better and better and scored most of Albions goals last season.

to compare you would have to take Benteke's record from the Belgian League when he first broke into the team until now and average it out against Berahino's. Even then it would be skewed as the Belgian league is average at best.

I dont think you can use Berahino's record in the prem and compare him to Benteke. First off they play in slightly different positions. But the Main reason being that Berahino is a young player who has come through the ranks and is getting better and better and scored most of Albions goals last season.

to compare you would have to take Benteke's record from the Belgian League when he first broke into the team until now and average it out against Berahino's. Even then it would be skewed as the Belgian league is average at best.

He is only 2 years older so I think you can compere their records here, I think you will find that Benteke has scored most of Villa's goals as well. They do play different positions though but at the end of the day they are both there for their goal scoring so not that far apart.

I think that even though the player does wish to move on from West Brom, he is behaving differently from last season, no longer listening to a certain agent giving him advice that shows him in a bad light.

Anyway, I believe we do have a firm interest in him but West Brom and the player....as is their right are holding out to see if any other parties are serious about him, and will out-bid us....offer him champs league football.

I reckon we have about a 60/40 chance of him rocking up at the lane, I think we already have had tentative discussions with West Brom, fee would be between 18-22m with add ons.

This will be a late one I reckon and only do-able if we can shift the unshiftable Ade.

I think that even though the player does wish to move on from West Brom, he is behaving differently from last season, no longer listening to a certain agent giving him advice that shows him in a bad light.

Anyway, I believe we do have a firm interest in him but West Brom and the player....as is their right are holding out to see if any other parties are serious about him, and will out-bid us....offer him champs league football.

I reckon we have about a 60/40 chance of him rocking up at the lane, I think we already have had tentative discussions with West Brom, fee would be between 18-22m with add ons.

This will be a late one I reckon and only do-able if we can shift the unshiftable Ade.

We're doomed. Only an imbecile would take on an Ade although he is known to play well to earn himself a contract!

We're doomed. Only an imbecile would take on an Ade although he is known to play well to earn himself a contract!

I think in all honesty I would like Yarmalenko more than Saido...if I had to choose. Of course I want both, but if we could only get one I think I would prefer the man from Ukraine.

Anyway Im pretty sure Poch is talking a load of ol cobblers to the media at the moment regarding the amount of strikers we need, I think he wants three, all with the flexibility of playing out wide, We want Saido i am sure but it does feel like Ade is holding a gun against our transfer aspirations head.

Our record on signing premier league players on the up is not that great,in fact other that Dembele who we overpaid with the Modric money i don't think we have signed a single premier league player that was highly coveted.Therefore i don't have great hopes for us signing Berhino however he is exactly the type of player we should be trying to get.

I don't get the impression that Berahino is holding out for another club. All the itk - much of it not from the attention seeking regulars (and all the more credible for it) - suggests that he's pretty much agreed to come to us and that it is only West Brom holding out for a higher fee that is delaying the deal.

Benteke is a better goal scorer in the right team that's a fact as his record says

Benteke however isn't a Wide forward and needs a system to suit him as the lynch pin IMO

We have Kane for that role so he wasn't needed

Berahino is the more flexible player which is what we're currently after

Did anyone else watch the liverpool game last week? Benteke looked lost and was a lonely figure IMO with no one knowing how to feed him. I believe they will get it somewhat. Enter but he really strikes me as though he is at the wrong club.

It would also depend on what position we were trying to fill. With Benteke it's either him or Kane. With Berahino both can play together. So you could pay £32m for a substitute striker, or £20-25 for a 2-year younger versatile forward who can also moonlight as a substitute striker. Regardless of passport, I'd take the latter.

Back