• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

This makes sense. You just don't want someone who is a stop gap in the squad. You want full commitment, someone who shares the spirit and will grow with the side.

But we are so short up top. Hours left to get Dembele. I think that is the one incoming that will happen. With Fazio out on loan.

Last edited:
What if Poch doesn't want any stop gaps?

Then I very much hope I get proved wrong however I feel he/we could fall on a sword for trying to be to clever, to choosy, whatever.

Excuse my tone and appreciate I am usually calm with the majority of my posts...but not today, I am not trying to be a drama queen but I will get pumpy when I feel passionate about something, or something not being done that leaves us weak and open to failure.
simply put its vital for me we get a striker, poch and Levy realise this I am sure and their comes a time where we hope everything that can be done is being done to get what we need.

So because poch didn't want austin in the summer, it's his fault? Makes no sense at all. Our squad needs another striker, and levy should get one of poch and mitchell's long term targets. He failed to do so in the summer, and has no excuses if he fails again. I'm not saying bring in anyone. I'm saying bring in a player that poch wants. Like dembele or berahino. Levy offered him austin because he was cheap.
Why does it have to be someone's fault? The club has set a direction and, by all accounts, seems to be adhering to it. There's nothing faulty about that. What's faulty is thinking that we can get whomever the manager wants at the time and price of our choosing. Doesn't work that way, my friend.

Then I very much hope I get proved wrong however I feel he/we could fall on a sword for trying to be to clever, to choosy, whatever.

Excuse my tone and appreciate I am usually calm with the majority of my posts...but not today, I am not trying to be a drama queen but I will get pumpy when I feel passionate about something, or something not being done that leaves us weak and open to failure.
simply put its vital for me we get a striker, poch and Levy realise this I am sure and their comes a time where we hope everything that can be done is being done to get what we need.

All of the noises coming from Poch are that he favours squad unity over short term signings. Like all managers, he lives and dies by the decisions that he makes but I think that we need to remember that bringing in a striker is not a magic bullet that will guarantee success.

What if Poch doesn't want any stop gaps?

I just think it is hugely disappointing for us fans that we feel we are on the verge of achieving something this season, yet in the window where we have an opportunity to affect our season in a positive way, we let three squad players go and don't find anyone for the two areas we are short.

Disappointing to say the least but in Poch (and Levy) I continue to trust.

So because poch didn't want austin in the summer, it's his fault? Makes no sense at all. Our squad needs another striker, and levy should get one of poch and mitchell's long term targets. He failed to do so in the summer, and has no excuses if he fails again. I'm not saying bring in anyone. I'm saying bring in a player that poch wants. Like dembele or berahino. Levy offered him austin because he was cheap.

Players are sat on a shelf, waiting for us to come pick them up.

All of the noises coming from Poch are that he favours squad unity over short term signings. Like all managers, he lives and dies by the decisions that he makes but I think that we need to remember that bringing in a striker is not a magic bullet that will guarantee success.

I totally get that, I dont think us getting in a striker guarantees us success, but I do feel not doing so makes it far more likely that we will fail when the nitty gritty starts.

I just think it is hugely disappointing for us fans that we feel we are on the verge of achieving something this season, yet in the window where we have an opportunity to affect our season in a positive way, we let three squad players go and don't find anyone for the two areas we are short.

Strange thing to say.

Seems to me that Poch things sticking with the current squad is more likely to bring us success.

better to stay the course than try a risky shortcut

we are achieving something already

I totally get that, I dont think us getting in a striker guarantees us success, but I do feel not doing so makes it far more likely that we will fail when the nitty gritty starts.

Do you think that we would be better with a striker who isn't suited to Poch's style of play or who might be disruptive than with making use of the players in our squad who can play up front or playing with a false 9?

This makes sense. You just don't want someone who is a stop gap in the squad. You want full commitment, someone who shares the spirit and will grow with the side.

But we are so short up top. Hours left to get Dembele. I think that is the one incoming that will happen. With Fazio out on loan.

We haven't been short up top so far and that has been with injuries to both Son and Chadli and Eriksen not performing.

It's a risk
I'm not sure how calculated it is but its definetly a risk to have no proper striker cover

Players are sat on a shelf, waiting for us to come pick them up.

I dont think that is the case but you have to admit while others seem to get things done our transfers always seem to be long drawn out messy affairs which seem to end in us missing out.

please excuse my frustration, would have been happy with Dembele mk2 but we just cant get anything over the line, I know full well transfers are not cut and dry affairs.

We've signed someone else on loan with a dodgy passport (allegedly), he looks about 50.
You talking about Seydou Doumbi Greg? If so that isn't a bad signing IMO. Scored 50 odd goals in 60 odd games in Switzerland when younger (I wanted us to sign him back then) then went to Russia and scored 60 odd goals in about 90 games while there. He didn't do particularly well last year at Roma, but has done OK on loan back in Moscow this season.

I dont think that is the case but you have to admit while others seem to get things done our transfers always seem to be long drawn out messy affairs which seem to end in us missing out.

please excuse my frustration, would have been happy with Dembele mk2 but we just cant get anything over the line, I know full well transfers are not cut and dry affairs.

They either pay out their wazoo (City, United, Liverpool) or just sign whatever is available.

It's a risk
I'm not sure how calculated it is but its definetly a risk to have no proper striker cover

both could get injured, thats a risk as well

its like when I explain to my wife how many bikes I need, the answer is n+1, where n is the number of bikes I already have

Remember Redknapp ....and Saha and Neilsen. Still sends shivers down my spine.

Brought in as a cover, a role which both filled to perfection. The way that is constantly brought up to prove some kind of point on failure is a bit ridiculous and an attempt to re-write history.

better to stay the course than try a risky shortcut

we are achieving something already

We haven't achieved anything yet. Still a long way to go and we need a full squad with adequate cover. To go into the second half of the season without is a major risk imo. We have all seen us falter before when even better placed in the PL.

Back