• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

Loath as I am to back up GB's usually over-confident claims of opinion-being-fact ;), I do recall hearing about Lamela's loan to Marseille being pulled very late
http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2015/09/spurs-pull-plug-on-erik-lamela-to-marseille-transfer/
Think his agent and/or someone at Marseille mentioned it subsequently too.
Fair play. I didn't realise that had happened so late.

That said, I think it's wildly optimistic to imagine that a loan (even a loan-to-buy) for Lamela* would have "balanced the books" on a 20m+ transfer. On this issue, I honestly believe Levy is likely to be more flexible with Pochettino than he has been previously. Though obviously GB and many others remain convinced that's not the case.

In truth there's no actual evidence either way... but I think we'll see some of that flexibility in January.

* And I'm talking about the Lamela of last year, not the one that appears to be starting to achieve his potential.

Also:
http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/09/0...-explains-why-lamela-and-adebayor-deals-fell/

I guess if we really were trying different offers to West Brom with staged payments, the difference we would have seen between the Berahino fee (if agreed) and the up-front loan payment for Lamela and subsequent payments on purchase might not have been too significant. Plus there was the possibility of Fazio going too.
But all speculation now

Last edited:
Have to question that article, it was common knowledge Ade could leave at any time so why discuss it so late? Bid late, ok makes sense but to wait to the last minute to consider him? Doesn't add up to me.

I guess the questions are, was Berahino considered a Lamela replacement or back up for Kane or both. And if the former, has Lamela done enough to change our thinking?
January will probably be a case of if we can shift Townsend/Fazio and if we can find someone available for equivalent money.

Have to question that article, it was common knowledge Ade could leave at any time so why discuss it so late? Bid late, ok makes sense but to wait to the last minute to consider him? Doesn't add up to me.

Doesn't give any timescale on the Adebayor discussion/decision

I guess the questions are, was Berahino considered a Lamela replacement or back up for Kane or both. And if the former, has Lamela done enough to change our thinking?
January will probably be a case of if we can shift Townsend/Fazio and if we can find someone available for equivalent money.

Poch wants players up top who are fluid and can all drop in/drop off. I suspect he wants someone who fits that mould and could be the 'striker' when Harry needs the rest.

Loath as I am to back up GB's usually over-confident claims of opinion-being-fact ;), I do recall hearing about Lamela's loan to Marseille being pulled very late
http://www.offthepost.info/blog/2015/09/spurs-pull-plug-on-erik-lamela-to-marseille-transfer/
Think his agent and/or someone at Marseille mentioned it subsequently too.

I was aware of that but Marseille's interest was in a loan move.

I don't recall reading anything about Townsend and Fazio going the other way on transfer deadline day.

Poch wants players up top who are fluid and can all drop in/drop off. I suspect he wants someone who fits that mould and could be the 'striker' when Harry needs the rest.

That makes sense, but it still leaves us with only one tall/physical striker option in Kane. And personally I think Son would have done at least as well as Berahino in a counter attacking WBA team both wide and up front.

I still don't see what makes Berahino our preferred target if he really is. From what I've seen Pochettino seems to like a strong front man in his team most of the time.

I think Berahino was very much intended as a Lamela replacement. And I think 6 months later, Lamela is showing himself to be the better player and prospect. Which is why I don't expect us to renew interest in SB.

I thought the Lamela to Marsaille deal was a loan with an option to purchase? He'd also been heavily linked with at least one of the Milans on a permanent in the final week of the window, which we may have taken up if Berahino was going through.

Townsend and Fazio were both linked to West Brom through the window. Fazio was in talks, but these broke down on 21 August, just about the time Levy realised Peace wasn't bluffing about Berahino's price. If we do go back in for SB, I expect the p/xs could be on the table again.

I was aware of that but Marseille's interest was in a loan move.

I don't recall reading anything about Townsend and Fazio going the other way on transfer deadline day.

Nothing was happening on deadline day IMO. We pulled the Lamela-Marsaille deal about 3 days before. I still think it was just a fan appeasement charade (remember the idiots' banshee cries when Son was listed as a forward on our webpage)

I still think getting Son affected our Berahino interest. Maybe Son was our longshot plan A that actually came off, whereas Berahino was our more routine plan B

Nothing was happening on deadline day IMO. We pulled the Lamela-Marsaille deal about 3 days before. I still think it was just a fan appeasement charade (remember the idiots' banshee cries when Son was listed as a forward on our webpage)

I still think getting Son affected our Berahino interest. Maybe Son was our longshot plan A that actually came off, whereas Berahino was our more routine plan B

Berahino was always our first choice as Son is a wide forward and not an out and out striker.

The only reason Barahino is still being talked about is the lack of alternatives, that 'we' know of.
There must be other better value deals out there.

The only reason Barahino is still being talked about is the lack of alternatives, that 'we' know of.
There must be other better value deals out there.

Yes - hopefully it's just something we're putting out while we catch a start on United on Dembele or a similar lower-profile, more Kane-like CF.

This is you in a nutshell - 'it goes against what I'm saying so I'll twist it until does'. We made several bids for Berahino on deadline day, their Chairman said so and our
Chairman and Manager all but confirmed it in an official response to Peace making it public and attacking our conduct.

Pochettino all but said himself Berahino was his no.1 target for CF and he wasn't interested in making do with lesser alternatives - Berahino plays as a CF for WBA, he isn't a WF. He played as a lone forward several times last season including against Chelsea where he scored twice (and was MoM iirc) but he mostly plays in a two - that does not make him a WF by nature.

Last edited:
I'm using evidence of past trends, rather than some spun narrative:

- 13 windows of zero net spend to the penny

- A history of 'through the motions' deadline day dramas that always come to nothing (Aguero, Moutinho, Leandro) because ultimately they don't fit our constraints/longer term strategy

- The fact that Son and Berahino are very similar players who play in the same position, and we signed Son just 3 days before

Back