• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Sessegnon

Toby's £25m release clause expires tomorrow (I think) so if he was going to leave then surely it would happen by then
Yep
And like I say no one has mentioned Eriksen anywhere other than his agent....
If I was a betting man I don’t think either is going anywhere now

Seems as each window goes by it becomes ever more complex to strike the right balance between retaining our best/most experienced players, ensuring that any new arrivals are likely to improve the squad and providing sufficient first team opportunities for burgeoning Academy talent.

All of which is quite some trick, but if somehow we were to hang on to Toby and Eriksen whilst adding N'Dombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon, and then on top of that still find room to blood the likes of Parrot, Skipp and KWP, what a window that could turn out to be!

This. There are a lot of ways to accommodate an intelligent player, and he looks like an intelligent player.

I have concerns about his defensive ability (or lack thereof). But we don't actually need to use him in a defensive role, if (as I suspect) we're planning trying something like this -

--------------------Lloris-------------------

Foyth-----Sanchez-------Verts---Sessegnon

----------Ndombele---------Sissoko--------

Son----------------Alli---------------Lo Celso

--------------------Kane---------------------

That's what it would look like on a team sheet. But in possession, it could very easily look like this -

----------------------Lloris--------------------

--------Foyth------Sanchez-----Verts-------

--------------------------------------Sissoko--

----------Ndombele-----Lo Celso-------------

Son------------------Alli-----------Sessegnon

----------------------Kane---------------------

Where Foyth, Sanchez and Verts switch to a back three, Sissoko holds back on the left to cover Sessegnon, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Alli form an interchanging triangle in the middle, Kane stays up front, and Son and Sessegnon essentially roam down the flanks providing width.

That fits both the contemporary tactical trend of having four at the back (back three + Sissoko) to deal with counters, the new Liverpool-inspired trend of having a central midfielder drop into the flanks to cover for a marauding full-back, *and* a wide, balanced formation that uses both flanks.Plus, with four at the back, all six forward players can press at will, and with Foyth and Verts both back there, a lot of accurate long passes can be sprayed from deep to Son/Sessegnon at will, forcing the opposition to keep them marked.

Long story short, I think, if he does sign, he offers a lot of tactical options given his intelligence and general spatial awareness. I hope he does sign.
Who would cover the right? Or do you assume that we switch to a flat 4 when defending? Either case, we'll either be asking Sissoko to play LB (I know he can do everything, but LB?!), or Ndombele to cover on the right. Seems a bit weird, no?

Seems as each window goes by it becomes ever more complex to strike the right balance between retaining our best/most experienced players, ensuring that any new arrivals are likely to improve the squad and providing sufficient first team opportunities for burgeoning Academy talent.

All of which is quite some trick, but if somehow we were to hang on to Toby and Eriksen whilst adding N'Dombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon, and then on top of that still find room to blood the likes of Parrot, Skipp and KWP, what a window that could turn out to be!

If everything that looks likely actually happens this next fortnight, it looks almost perfect.

A decent refresh (3 big profile new signings, all under 24). More strength in the CM/ACM areas where we've struggled with depth and overused players. As you say, promotions up the pecking order for KWP/Foyth, Whiteman and Parrott (and maybe Tanganga); while Skipp retains his role as 5th CM.

I'm still a bit concerned about RB, but Poch has pulled this off before when he didn't buy a CM and converted Dier. We've also got 12 months' notice that Alder and Aurier are probably the two players we'll need to replace/upgrade on next.

The way I see it, it's the ultimate evolution of Poch's preference for flexibility. Playing Foyth as a nominal RB and Sessegnon as a marauding left-back with limited (if any) defensive responsibilities allows for all sorts of very, very appealing tactical combinations.

Foyth shifts left and forms a back three with Sanchez and Verts, Sissoko ahead = solidity. Foyth and Verts can pass out from the back with ease, Sissoko and Sanchez provide pace and strength.

If we need more men forward, Sissoko can go up, the back three remains - still relatively secure, while giving the opposition another headache.

If even more men are needed, Foyth and Verts can maraud down the left and right half-spaces (both are good on the ball), Sissoko and Sanchez can stay back (pace can prevent breakaways).

And all the while, with Son on one flank, Sessegnon on the other, and a middle four of Ndombele, Lo Celso, Alli and Kane, we're creating an incredibly dangerous side down the middle that can't be easily dispossessed and can press for days - and can also seamlessly switch positions if needed.

We also have the personnel to essentially create a mirrored copy of this same system with a right-facing emphasis - Aurier/KWP becomes the wing-back on the right, Davies becomes the nominal centre-back from the left, and everything builds from there. So even if the opposition somehow deal with the system, two substitutions will completely shift it to a right-sided emphasis, and create a new problem.

The more I think about it, the more advantages this system has. It's supremely flexible, and all it needs is a couple of intelligent players on the flanks. Like Sessegnon.

This sounds great on paper and will probably work very well against bottom half teams but what about when we come up against good quality teams with pace on the flanks e.g. Sane, Sterling, Mahrez, Salah, Mane, Pulisic, Martial etc who will pounce on any weakness and ruthlessly exploit it.

This sounds great on paper and will probably work very well against bottom half teams but what about when we come up against good quality teams with pace on the flanks e.g. Sane, Sterling, Mahrez, Salad, Mane, Martial etc who will pounce on any weakness and ruthlessly exploit it.

FIFY

Looks like the Sess medical is delayed due to waiting on his hammy to get better and also deciding which of our players will head to Fulham.

This. There are a lot of ways to accommodate an intelligent player, and he looks like an intelligent player.

I have concerns about his defensive ability (or lack thereof). But we don't actually need to use him in a defensive role, if (as I suspect) we're planning trying something like this -

--------------------Lloris-------------------

Foyth-----Sanchez-------Verts---Sessegnon

----------Ndombele---------Sissoko--------

Son----------------Alli---------------Lo Celso

--------------------Kane---------------------

That's what it would look like on a team sheet. But in possession, it could very easily look like this -

----------------------Lloris--------------------

--------Foyth------Sanchez-----Verts-------

--------------------------------------Sissoko--

----------Ndombele-----Lo Celso-------------

Son------------------Alli-----------Sessegnon

----------------------Kane---------------------

Where Foyth, Sanchez and Verts switch to a back three, Sissoko holds back on the left to cover Sessegnon, Ndombele, Lo Celso and Alli form an interchanging triangle in the middle, Kane stays up front, and Son and Sessegnon essentially roam down the flanks providing width.

That fits both the contemporary tactical trend of having four at the back (back three + Sissoko) to deal with counters, the new Liverpool-inspired trend of having a central midfielder drop into the flanks to cover for a marauding full-back, *and* a wide, balanced formation that uses both flanks.Plus, with four at the back, all six forward players can press at will, and with Foyth and Verts both back there, a lot of accurate long passes can be sprayed from deep to Son/Sessegnon at will, forcing the opposition to keep them marked.

Long story short, I think, if he does sign, he offers a lot of tactical options given his intelligence and general spatial awareness. I hope he does sign.

I can't see Ndombele and Sissoko being regularly paired at the base of midfield. We need someone there who can take the ball on the turn and use it intelligently. I think that Sissoko is Ndombele's understudy and we will see a three of Winks, Ndombele and Lo Celso which can also be a diamond with Winks and the base and Dele at the point.

Looks like the Sess medical is delayed due to waiting on his hammy to get better and also deciding which of our players will head to Fulham.

I heard something the other day saying Scott Parker wanted to take some Spurs youngsters that he knew from his time here. Have any of them been linked yet?

This sounds great on paper and will probably work very well against bottom half teams but what about when we come up against good quality teams with pace on the flanks e.g. Sane, Sterling, Mahrez, Salad, Mane, Pulisic, Martial etc who will pounce on any weakness and ruthlessly exploit it.
Imo both Foyth and Aurier are well capable of dealing with Sane, Mane and Sterling down our right - so long as they can also keep their head, that is.

But whilst Davies is mostly pretty solid, you may have a point regarding Sessegnon who, being more of an attacking wing back may end up leaving too much space down our left for the likes of as you say Salad and Mahrez to exploit.

I'm pretty sure medicals pay no attention to minor short term things like hamstring strains

In terms of part exchanges, I guess there's 3 of our 6 sat by the exit door that might work for all parties - onomah, 2CV and GKN

I'm pretty sure medicals pay no attention to minor short term things like hamstring strains

In terms of part exchanges, I guess there's 3 of our 6 sat by the exit door that might work for all parties - onomah, 2CV and GKN
If I'm not mistaken, parts of the medical include some strenuous activities, including a VO2 Max test. So a recovering hammy might be a problem in conducting a full evaluation.

People were suggesting he was worth 50m or more recently, absolutely not. If we can get him in for 15-20 it's a no brainer.

Out of curiosity do you rate AWB?

Reason I raise it, is that at the same age he hasn’t played a game full back for palace. Hell he has played about 50 games there beforehand his £50m move

I’m not saying sessegnon is the answer but who knows how he can develop with better coaches

I have seen enough of AWB to rate him as a good defensive full back. Ryan on the other hand - I am not so convinced. He is known more for his offensive than defensive ability. That tells me we may have a problem if we sell Rose and Davies gets injured.

I will trust Spurs recruitment if he comes in but mentally I am not yet sure of his ability to play LB at Premier League level.

I have seen enough of AWB to rate him as a good defensive full back. Ryan on the other hand - I am not so convinced. He is known more for his offensive than defensive ability. That tells me we may have a problem if we sell Rose and Davies gets injured.

I will trust Spurs recruitment if he comes in but mentally I am not yet sure of his ability to play LB at Premier League level.
I think what Bedford was implying is that 18 months ago AWB was a winger who couldn’t get in to the Palace side (no shame there, he was young), he hadn’t played a game at FB at that stage and yet it’s worked out ok. Maybe RS can do the same, yet with the added bonus of actually having first team appearances under his belt already.

My view is I’d definitely like us to buy him, there’s clearly potential and ability, but I’m not sure what his position will be.

I think what Bedford was implying is that 18 months ago AWB was a winger who couldn’t get in to the Palace side (no shame there, he was young), he hadn’t played a game at FB at that stage and yet it’s worked out ok. Maybe RS can do the same, yet with the added bonus of actually having first team appearances under his belt already.

My view is I’d definitely like us to buy him, there’s clearly potential and ability, but I’m not sure what his position will be.

It’s 100% that
And AWB looked good in a very defensive side
Sessegnon didn’t look good at full back in a very attacking side (and one that was poorly managed once they got promoted)
Danny rose didn’t play left back until we sent him to Sunderland and he hasn’t turned out bad

Back