• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Sessegnon

His brother played for Charlton last season and played 33 times for them. He is now currently on loan at Wigan.

I didn't think he started that many games, but as the Charlton fan I talk to in the pub said it hard to keep track who played for them last year as they used about 50 players.

Lovely finish, so long ago I've forgotten it. Just looking up his stats, 86 games in 5 seasons at the end of this season. I know he's not been first choice but has he been injured that much, feel for him. Looked to have a promising future but even if he comes back I'm not sure where he fits in. Not going to dislodge Udogie, doesn't have the ability to play on the wing.

Looks like he's on a 5+1 deal so ends in 2025, think if he doesn't perform next season he'll be released. Maybe a 1/2 year extension to see if we can recoup some money, he'll still only be 24 next season.

For me, I'm extending - if the surgery is successful we can get him some game time next season. At 23 he's still going to have a resale value if we can get him minutes, or if he finally starts to show the promise we've got another young player in the system.
Don't see the point of letting his contract expire after we've spent years gambling on him, what's 12 months of contract and potential 1st team player vs signing a replacement homegrown to take his squad spot?

For me, I'm extending - if the surgery is successful we can get him some game time next season. At 23 he's still going to have a resale value if we can get him minutes, or if he finally starts to show the promise we've got another young player in the system.
Don't see the point of letting his contract expire after we've spent years gambling on him, what's 12 months of contract and potential 1st team player vs signing a replacement homegrown to take his squad spot?
So you'd not buy a dedicated Udogie cover and instead back a player who has been injured for 5 consecutive years (and not been developing in that time too)?

Or is his role to be 4th choice LB again (assuming Davies will do another year) and still not playing even if by a miracle he's fit?

Agree. His wages aren't that big about 2 - 2.5m. If his injury probs are sorted by the surgery there is still a lot of potential there. Worth the gamble for one year.

If you are going to gamble, at least have decent odds. Plus, if he comes good in the extanded year, what's to stop him going for a free? Waste of time all round.

If you are going to gamble, at least have decent odds. Plus, if he comes good in the extanded year, what's to stop him going for a free? Waste of time all round.
Upside of the gamble could be 10's millions, the down side is a couple of million.

There's always the chance that he'd move, but maybe he'd look at the support that he's been given over the last few years by the club and have some sort of loyalty (not that it exists much now days).

Upside of the gamble could be 10's millions, the down side is a couple of million.

There's always the chance that he'd move, but maybe he'd look at the support that he's been given over the last few years by the club and have some sort of loyalty (not that it exists much now days).
We need a fit and able LB backup for next season, depending on his surgery is there any expectation that he will be firstly fit in a reasonable timeframe, and secondly not pickup yet another injury? If his purpose is to present backup and competition he won't be able to do that from the injury bench.

That's not even taking into account he's never actually shown himself capable for any extended period of time at the LB position. It's quite a game to extend his contract, there really isn't anything to base extending it on other than blind faith and optimism.

I don’t think he’s anywhere near good enough, certainly not as a defender.

It was worth a punt, didn’t work out, let him reset his career somewhere else.

We need a fit and able LB backup for next season, depending on his surgery is there any expectation that he will be firstly fit in a reasonable timeframe, and secondly not pickup yet another injury? If his purpose is to present backup and competition he won't be able to do that from the injury bench.

That's not even taking into account he's never actually shown himself capable for any extended period of time at the LB position. It's quite a game to extend his contract, there really isn't anything to base extending it on other than blind faith and optimism.
So if we keep Sessegnon it means we can't buy a LB as cover?

He hasn't shown himself good enough because he's had recurring injuries and been scared that he was going to break down again. There's been some good performances when he has a little run and got some confidence. If he was on Ndombele wages it would be a definite no, just think for the wages he's on and if the medical team say his issues are sorted then it's worth the gamble.

So if we keep Sessegnon it means we can't buy a LB as cover?

He hasn't shown himself good enough because he's had recurring injuries and been scared that he was going to break down again. There's been some good performances when he has a little run and got some confidence. If he was on Ndombele wages it would be a definite no, just think for the wages he's on and if the medical team say his issues are sorted then it's worth the gamble.
But if we keep Sessgnon are we then seriously buying a backup LB? What's the sense there? We either think Sess is the backup, so extend his contract and don't buy another or we don't think he is and we do buy someone else as competition. At which point theres no point in keeping him (assuming Ange see him as playing LB).

Back