• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Good video. Mason's touch at the end was a little heavy, but he managed to keep on with it & finished with aplomb as he dinked the ball over Pantemillion (sp.). I've been very impressed with him this season, he seems to be improving all the time. He makes positive runs, opens up play with intelligent incisive passes and movement and I'm happy that he's one of our own.

It was great to see a midfielder making the effort to get into the box - and someone having the presence to see the run (and I'm a Lamela critic). I think the heavy touch actually helped as it committed the goalkeeper, who otherwise might have stood up and made Mason think about putting it in the corner.

But although Poch seems to favour one predominately defensive minded midfielder (Dier at the moment), I'd like a system where all/both CMs are adept at both getting into the box and defending, and can share the responsibility.

It was great to see a midfielder making the effort to get into the box - and someone having the presence to see the run (and I'm a Lamela critic). I think the heavy touch actually helped as it committed the goalkeeper, who otherwise might have stood up and made Mason think about putting it in the corner.

But although Poch seems to favour one predominately defensive minded midfielder (Dier at the moment), I'd like a system where all/both CMs are adept at both getting into the box and defending, and can share the responsibility.
And I'd like a system where the RB can play as a striker and our #10 play in goal. I know I'm being facetious, but this has nothing to do with the system. If you have the players with the skillset to pull it off, great, but there aren't many of those in world football. Else you set your team up in a way that takes advantage of players' strengths, which is what it looks like Poch is doing.

And I'd like a system where the RB can play as a striker The #10 play in goal. I know I'm being facetious, but this has nothing to do with the system. If you have the players with the skillset to pull it off, great, but there aren't many of those in world football. Else you set your team up in a way that takes advantage of players' strengths, which is what it looks like Poch is doing.

I think we have got one of those haven't we!

While I take your point, I do believe that for many managers the system dictates the type of players. They want to play 4-2-3-1 and they want one of the two DMs to predominately deal with defensive duties and protect the back four - think Sandro. Whereas I prefer more of a sharing of defending/attacking duties - it may only be a question of degrees of difference but it has significant impact on how the team plays as a whole.

The skill set for attacking/defending midfielder may not be as scarce as you think - although world class players are rare in any position. In the past we have succeeded with a Huddlestone+1 central midfield, for example, (even against a three man midfield) which seems improbable. and many would argue that Huddlestone is neither a DM or and AM (nor JJ /Modric/or even Palacios).

I'd like to see both Mason and Carroll (and/or Alli) in a central midfield 2/3 in some of the cup games. (And Dier may begin to work his way forward too - once he grows into the role so he may not be an out and out DM).

_85538566_garth.png

MIDFIELDER - Eric Dier (Tottenham)
_85526665_dier.jpg

In a central midfield berth, Eric Dier made a joint-league-high eight tackles at the weekend and an outright-high four blocks

Playing in front of the back four as a midfield holding player for Tottenham, Eric Dier was as enthusiastic as it gets. I have, after all, seen him play at full-back and centre-back and cope admirably but I never thought he had the ability to play consistently in a more forward position where one's influence on the game is often more pronounced.

His impact for Spurs against Sunderland was impressive and his change is proving to be an inspired move by manager Mauricio Pochettino.

MIDFIELDER - Ryan Mason (Tottenham)
_85526354_ryan_mason_getty.jpg

Ryan Mason recorded the most successful passes against Sunderland, 16 more than any other Spurs player (56)

I have already mentioned Eric Dier but the relationship between him and Ryan Mason could become a very important dynamic for Spurs this season. Mason is becoming more relevant for Tottenham as the season wears on but what impressed me most about his performance against Sunderland was his desire.

His touch that took him goalbound was a little heavy but Mason still risked injury in order to clip the ball over the advancing Costel Pantilimon. Nice to see a midfield player going in where it hurts to score goals.

From the team news: “Nabil is out maybe two weeks more. We need to assess him as well, have patience and it’s the same with Ryan.”

From the team news: “Nabil is out maybe two weeks more. We need to assess him as well, have patience and it’s the same with Ryan.”

So this weekend we will be without Mason, Bentaleb and Eriksen? Our entire first choice central midfield from last season.

So this weekend we will be without Mason, Bentaleb and Eriksen? Our entire first choice central midfield from last season.
I'm sure I saw Eriksen in the training session video from yesterday. Maybe he is close to starting and Dembele was reportedly close too though he wasn't in the video. So 2 from Dier, Dembele, Eriksen, Alli, Carroll, Velkovic(?) should be OK me thinks, though I realise that some of them play further forward normally.

Watched the Poch interview and it comes across as Bentaleb out for 2 weeks, Eriksen and Dembele will probably miss out next league game and Mason could be 3-4 weeks away.

This is only my opinion of f course.

I spoke to his dad about 3/4 hours ago. He showed me a picture of Ryan's knee after the Sunderland match and it was twice the size it should be!! Said he doesn't think he'll make Sunday but hopes to be back for Monaco and England duty the week after.

Thanks for the update Roy. I'm going to be caned for this, but in my mind he is a star and I hope he makes a speedy recovery

I spoke to his dad about 3/4 hours ago. He showed me a picture of Ryan's knee after the Sunderland match and it was twice the size it should be!! Said he doesn't think he'll make Sunday but hopes to be back for Monaco and England duty the week after.

We should pull him from that.

Back