• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

rSol

I assume you're talking about rSol and NOT to Markysimmo?

either/or/both ;)

sorry, quoted his quote on my phone

its yet another example of him just wanting a shortcut in life, at every opportunity he's taken the easiest option then just walked away at the first sign of trouble, along with all his other faults he's lazy, heaven forbid he could actually do some coaching somewhere and work his way up, but no, because the FA won't just give him an England coaching job, straight to the top table, football's racist, woe is me

he's such a ****ing ****

Sol Campbell thinks he can secure the Conservatives the 'black' vote. Am I wrong for finding that a little offensive? Does Campbell really think that all it takes for black people to vote for a party is a prominent black figure amongst it's MPs? Are black people not capable of making their own minds up. He is ironically starting to sound rather racist.

It's like he is slowly carving his own path towards being our generations David Icke

Sol Campbell thinks he can secure the Conservatives the 'black' vote. Am I wrong for finding that a little offensive? Does Campbell really think that all it takes for black people to vote for a party is a prominent black figure amongst it's MPs? Are black people not capable of making their own minds up. He is ironically starting to sound rather racist.

It's like he is slowly carving his own path towards being our generations David Icke

What I've been saying for a longtime

yep

And they'll all follow rSol because they are all indignant about the mansion tax. rSol by name ... etc

Sol, Sol, wherever you may be,
Not long now 'til lunacy,
And we won't give a vote if you become a Tory,
You Judas **** with PDD*

*Persecutory Delusion Disorder

Pretty good and damning exposure of some of Judas' porky pies in the link below:

If there is one thing that I have learned since I started actively writing about football over three years ago, it is to always - always - give the topic of racism as wide a berth as possible. It's not that I want to dismiss the issue, far from it, but it's a recognition that such an emotive issue must never be covered without extreme care, respect, and a deeply fastidious attention to detail. It's serious stuff.

We live in a society where the issue of racism is rightly at the forefront of the national conscience. Racism should not be tolerated, it is as simple as that. However, that is not the accused's responsibility alone. Zero tolerance to serious issues is a brilliant theory, but in practice it is only as effective as the quality of the allegation.

That all brings me to Sol Campbell. But first, a little back story.

Last March when he published and promoted his book, Campbell was asked by Victoria Derbyshire on BBC Five Live about his experiences of racism in English football. He said:

One of my earliest encounters with [racism] was at Sunderland. It was a long time ago, it was at Roker Park. I was playing for Tottenham in the FA Cup. It's in the book.

Basically, every time I touched the ball I was subjected to monkey chants - every single time. I'd never experienced that level of racism. It wasn't really recorded and nobody said much about it.

That's obviously a serious claim, and on the surface it isn't one that is easily questioned. We all know that there is the occasional idiot who attends football matches and Sunderland is not immune from that.

Only last year, in fact, a Sunderland fan was given a three-year banning order for admitting to causing racially aggravated harassment to the then West Bromwich Albion striker Romelu Lukaku. The monkey gesture was picked up on TV and by photographers, we all saw it, and we all condemned the action whilst commending the manner with which it was dealt. If Sol Campbell back in the 1990s was subjected to something similar, it wouldn't be difficult to believe at all.

The problem is that what Campbell is alleging is different and far more serious. He has since clarified the accusation to The Guardian, and said he will keep on talking about racism in football until things change.

The following extract is lifted directly from The Guardian:

"In 1992, he graduated from Spurs' youth team to the senior side - with whom, about a year later, during a match against Sunderland, he was subjected to something much more brazen than a comment about cricket. "I played right back that day," Campbell recalls, "and every time I touched the ball - monkey chants. Every single time."

This was in 1993. I'd naively imagined that this nonsense had been shamed out of British football by then. "Mad thing is," Campbell says, "the captain of Sunderland was black."

What did he say to his team-mates at the time? "I was a youngster, what am I going to talk about?" Didn't they hear the monkey noises? "No one said anything. It was my first or second season in football. They [the opposition fans] might have been trying to put me off. But now I'm older I think, f**king hell, what was going on there? Whole sections of the crowd doing monkey chants - and no one said anything... I was young. I was just happy to be in the team. But no one came up to me to say, 'You all right, Sol?' "

So, to sum up, Campbell alleges that in 1993, every time he touched the ball - every single time - whole sections of the Sunderland crowd directed monkey chants onto the pitch. That's an extremely serious claim, one that tars Sunderland as a club and all of us who are associated with it, and as such it is a claim for which concise detail should be a prerequisite, not an optional extra.

Sadly, that hasn't happened.

For a start, the game in question did not take place in 1993, and for all he was "a youngster" he was an England under-21 and B International, just a year away from his full international debut; a 21-year old with more than 50 first team appearances under his belt at a top club and earmarked for the top. Back then Sunderland were a pretty atrociously bad second division (old money) team who had no business being on the same pitch as Tottenham Hotspur. Both Sunderland's FA Cup ties that year were away from home (at Notts County and Sheffield Wednesday) with Chester City, Leeds United and Aston Villa providing the home League Cup opposition.

Tottenham did visit Roker Park for a preseason friendly in August 1992, and it attracted the biggest crowd of any of Spurs' visits to Roker during Campbell's time there due to fans being given free admission to celebrate the new city status. However, Campbell did not play that day.

Campbell played in Tottenham's Premier League 4-0 win at Roker Park in March 1997, though he played as one of three centre backs and was an established England international by then rather than the youngster he claims, so it's fair to rule that one out too.

That means the only game he can possibly be talking about is the FA Cup tie in January 1995, which they won 4-1 after a pretty brutal Jurgen Klinsmann performance. It's also the only time Campbell played at Roker Park against Gary Bennett, who was the black Sunderland captain to which he refers.

That's a game I remember exceptionally well as it happens. It may have been just another game to someone like Campbell with his career and status, but to us Sunderland fans it was a big deal. It was a glamour team in town with a huge star from the previous summer's World Cup - a veritable household name in world football. This was the era of Channel Four's Football Italia, Goooooolazo and all that. The very embryonic stages of the global football glamour phenomenon we have today. It was an era at which us Sunderland fans tended to look upon rather covetously from the wilderness. Klinsmann was brilliant, Campbell had Martin Smith, our then great hope, in his back pocket, Bennett was sent off for a brilliant one-handed save on the line.

The other thing I remember clearly about it was that it was live on the BBC. That was a big deal for us too back then. That may be tough to imagine in today's world of streams and dusk till dawn television football coverage, but it was. We were used to very occasionally playing Middlesbrough live on Tyne-Tees regional TV and losing to the all too familiar soundtrack of Roger Thames telling us how depressingly bad we were.

Suddenly, Campbell's 'unrecorded game' in 1993 has become a 1995 glamour cup tie broadcast on national television.

Now, I don't discount the possibility that racism on some scale could still have gone largely unnoticed at Roker Park that day. Football still has a problem with racism now, never mind nineteen years ago. Indeed, a study by Staffordshire University claimed that between 1990 and 1997, 67% of fans in English football either witnessed or experienced racism.

However, racism to the degree that Campbell describes? We are still not talking about the dark ages here. 1995 was still two years after the Kick It Out campaign started and two years before it became a full-time organisation. Such initiatives are borne of action, not ignorance. In a society that has acknowledged a problem with race to sufficiently motivate it to commit to collective action, surely 'whole sections' of a football crowd directing monkey chants at a black player for an entire match broadcast live on national television does not slip under the radar? Had it happened as Campbell alleges, Sunderland would have been the centre of a race storm that would have scarred the club's foundations for a generation.

Yet, if it did happen, then slipping under the radar is precisely what it seems to have done. Campbell himself admits that none of his team-mates mentioned anything about it to him, not even a passing comment, and Gary Bennett has confirmed on Twitter that he can't recall Campbell receiving monkey chants from the Roker Park crowd.

Is Sol Campbell just trying to sensationalise something he thinks can't be challenged to promote his book? He wouldn't be the first one. Does he genuinely believe what he is saying and is simply mixed up, suffering from the kind of tricks all our memories play on us over time? That's what I prefer to believe. Remember, Brian Clough allowed the death of his mother to become intrinsically connected in his mind to an unrelated event leading him to believe both happened at the same time. Emotions have a tendency to rule the head. It's just human nature. I think it's important not to judge and offering the benefit of the doubt is rarely a bad way to go.

If Campbell truly believes what he says, though, it would be the easiest thing in the world to back up. There were cameras and microphones all over the ground, and if they picked up racism on a mass scale, I and the rest of Sunderland will be at the front of the queue to condemn it. However, he - and The Guardian in truth - should be taking considerably more care in checking and double-checking their facts before throwing around such damaging and serious blanket allegations that attack the image of an entire club.

Because, right now, the fact Campbell seems to afford his own claim such little importance to do it the service of ensuring its protection from discredit by even the merest slither of research is providing the most prominent temptation to dismiss it, and the dismissal of racism is the very antithesis to what we all, Campbell included, pursue."

http://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2014/7/13/5895103/sol-campbell-sunderland-race-allegations-roker-park#comment_tease

Exactly, he'd be just as big a **** if he was white after everything he's done.

I honestly hope I NEVER bump into him. Sounds childish I know but I dunno how I'd react!!!!

Best way to react would be not to react. Let him know he's last decades news and that he's nowhere near important enough to react too anymore.

where are those quotes from Marky?

here he is talking about wanting to join the Conservatives :

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/10/sol-campbell-conservative-party-conversation

:ross:

"Campbell, who retired in 2011 having won 73 caps for his country, said last week that he was thinking about joining the Conservative Party to fight Labour’s proposed introduction of mansion tax should they win the General Election next year."

All he actually cares about his own money.

Remember this
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/9113365/Sol-Campbell-fancy-my-house-for-the-Olympics.html

It's only a matter of time before he switches to UKIP. When the racist selection policies of the other parties fail to select him, he will have no other choice.

How come he's not been head of the Greens for the last 10 years?.

After all, he has the mind of a vegetable.

Is it right that when George Graham arrived at Spurs he wanted to replace you as captain with Tim Sherwood?

He never said it verbally, but yes he did. George arrived, it was clear he wanted Tim as captain, and I was like, that’s not happening. So they tried to work around it. I don’t think people realised how big I was going to become. I was 23, 24 years old and I had the strength and determination to say ‘no, I’m going nowhere, I’m an England player, I’m playing out of my skin – you might not like how I am but sorry, I am the future. So until I’m gone from this club it’s not going to happen.’ I didn’t verbally say that but how I carried myself said that. It’s quite sad really that people can lose sight of where they are and not look at the bigger picture. I found out for sure what they were doing when we played at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. I was standing in the tunnel, I had Alan Shearer right by my ear hole – he was making sure I could hear – saying to [former Blackburn team-mate] Sherwood: “Tim, have you taken the armband off him yet?” [FFT: How did you react to that?] I said nothing. I had a game and wasn’t going to let it disturb me. I’d say Tim now is pretty much how he was back then.

I might have found one mildly redeeming thing about him, not that it makes an iota of a difference.

Sol Campbell: I don't think people at Spurs realised how big I was going to become

He has issues with everyone in football :lol: Even his brother, for being a Spurs fan.

Is it right that when George Graham arrived at Spurs he wanted to replace you as captain with Tim Sherwood?

He never said it verbally, but [I thought] he wanted Tim as captain....

... I had the strength and determination to say ‘no, I’m going nowhere, I’m an England player, I’m playing out of my skin – you might not like how I am but sorry, I am the future. So until I’m gone from this club it’s not going to happen.’ [but] I didn’t verbally say that ...

So basically, Graham never said it and Sol didn't respond, but in Sol's head Graham was thinking that and Sol showed his strength and determination by responding robustly in his thoughts.

Last edited:
Back