• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

yes this was the case but if you want to give the benefit of the doubt you could argue that this was transition period while Dembele got full fitness as we had no cover in MF.

Not convinced either way myself.

It's not clear cut either way tbf

Looking back to 2012, I didn't really have much of an opinion either way. He was a bit suspect defensively, but there's was no harm in sticking with him as he wasn't costing us a fortune and he was good enough for where we were at the time.

Sometimes I can look at a player and just know he isn't good enough/the right player for us. I don't think I've ever been wrong on those calls.

That's GB territory in terms of never admitting you're wrong.

The weak links in that are:

Not having a first choice right back
Wimmer/CCV as first choice cover at centre half
Onomah and GKN as first choice cover in the attcking midfield roles.
And (perhaps) Winks as first choice cover for a slightly injury prone player.

From looking at the above we need an extra right back, another centre half and an attacking midfield player as a minimum. We can probably spend 80 odd million on the three combined and still have a net transfer profit overall.

Surely the first choice cover is Lamella, then Sissoko who we hope will be replaced

I agree about centre back and tight back but maybe we see KWP as the back up now to Trippier as first pick (a player has to start somewhere)

Has anyone seen the state of Chelseas squad??? It's highlighting what i said last year about how lucky they were with injuries. They currently have 16 first team players including 3 keepers and then kids ... kids who have played i believe a total of 5 first team games and they have hardly lost anyone

Our squad is pretty good when you compare it with that yet everyone said it's a squad game to win trophies which I agree with but let's not devalue ours

Surely the first choice cover is Lamella, then Sissoko who we hope will be replaced

I agree about centre back and tight back but maybe we see KWP as the back up now to Trippier as first pick (a player has to start somewhere)

Has anyone seen the state of Chelseas squad??? It's highlighting what i said last year about how lucky they were with injuries. They currently have 16 first team players including 3 keepers and then kids ... kids who have played i believe a total of 5 first team games and they have hardly lost anyone

Our squad is pretty good when you compare it with that yet everyone said it's a squad game to win trophies which I agree with but let's not devalue ours

It stacked up well v Chelsea of last season but going in to next season I don't think that will be the case if you compared us to the rest of the top 6, unless we improve - as I have said previously our first 15/16 is as good as we can hope for but beyond that quality and experience falls off of a cliff (plenty of unrealised potential though) if we want to go deep in the cup competitions and remain competitive in the league then we need a few stronger players for the squad.

Our second string got the run around v Liverpools second sting and I'm sure that would be the case again and we would fair similarly v our other top 6 rivals IMHO

It stacked up well v Chelsea of last season but going in to next season I don't think that will be the case if you compared us to the rest of the top 6, unless we improve - as I have said previously our first 15/16 is as good as we can hope for but beyond that quality and experience falls off of a cliff (plenty of unrealised potential though) if we want to go deep in the cup competitions and remain competitive in the league then we need a few stronger players for the squad.

Our second string got the run around v Liverpools second sting and I'm sure that would be the case again and we would fair similarly v our other top 6 rivals IMHO

I think we went with a weaker side in the pool game than they did... but very valid comments

Some thoughts on Barkley from an ex-manager of his:

“I had Ross at Leeds, and he’s an unbelievably good pro. He comes in first thing and he takes free kicks until it goes dark, he trains all the time.

“But as a manager you can’t really find a system you can trust him in. It’s a really difficult one with him, because he still loves to turn and take players on in his own half and often loses it.

He hasn’t got the responsibility in his make-up regarding as and when to do it, he just does it when he feels like it. I don’t think you can change him in that.

“I think he’d be a super player for a club like Spurs. I think he could be a top five player[…]but for a certain manager.

“It’ll be a difficult one for the manager who gets him, in how to play him at that level with the responsibility you have to have when you play the top teams.

You have to have that discipline in your game and unfortunately Ross doesn’t have that, but he makes up for it by scoring unbelievable goals."

Last edited:
And an ex-coach:

"Because I've worked with him for four years with England, I desperately want him to succeed, to fulfil his talent and potential and become the best player in the Premier League, the capability of that strength, the ability, skill, however his concentration...

"In the first half his touch, is tight in terms of control. He's got to be excellent on the ball every time it comes into him. You haven't got time in the top games.

"You have to operate in tight spaces. Ross makes too many mistakes and gives it away, and what happens is he gets a little bit frustrated with himself.

"Consistency, concentration and focus are absolutely key. I just hope that he can deliver in the next few years and deliver like we've seen Coutinho do today."

Last edited:
And a teammate:

"He's got all the talent in the world but he keeps on making more wrong decisions than right decisions in a game.

"Having had four or five years’ experience now you would have expected him to learn to have started to make them right decisions more often than not, but as of yet we're all still waiting for that to happen.

"He's been playing in the first-team since he was 17-18. That's a long time to have been playing in the Premier League and not kicked on and not made that next step. It's worrying that he's still being talked about as a young player and 'give him time’.”

“I had Ross at Leeds, and he’s an unbelievably good pro. He comes in first thing and he takes free kicks until it goes dark, he trains all the time.

“But as a manager you can’t really find a system you can trust him in. It’s a really difficult one with him, because he still loves to turn and take players on in his own half and often loses it.

He hasn’t got the responsibility in his make-up regarding as and when to do it, he just does it when he feels like it. I don’t think you can change him in that.

“I think he’d be a super player for a club like Spurs. I think he could be a top five player[…]but for a certain manager.

“It’ll be a difficult one for the manager who gets him, in how to play him at that level with the responsibility you have to have when you play the top teams.

You have to have that discipline in your game and unfortunately Ross doesn’t have that, but he makes up for it by scoring unbelievable goals."
Firstly Barkleys game inevitably would have moved on since being at Leeds in 2013. Secondly Id take Pochs opinion over the manager of Leeds at the time who happened to be Neil Warnock who you didnt name for some reason....

Well if you are going to highlight his ability and then discuss his mentality i couldn't think of a better coach than poch for that sort of player.

Absolutely spot on. Every one of those quoted talk about his undoubted talent. Given all his supposed "faults", I find it surprising that Koeman was so keen for him to sign a new contract.

That deficiency is incredibly easy to coach out of a player. Alternatively you just use them as a number 10 so they are never receiving the ball in a place where it is very dangerous if they lose it. Poch has already done this with Ali.

And a teammate:

"He's got all the talent in the world but he keeps on making more wrong decisions than right decisions in a game.

"Having had four or five years’ experience now you would have expected him to learn to have started to make them right decisions more often than not, but as of yet we're all still waiting for that to happen.

"He's been playing in the first-team since he was 17-18. That's a long time to have been playing in the Premier League and not kicked on and not made that next step. It's worrying that he's still being talked about as a young player and 'give him time’.”
Sounds like all he needs is a good coach to me.

Well if you are going to highlight his ability and then discuss his mentality i couldn't think of a better coach than poch for that sort of player.

Exactly. Bread and butter for Poch. Not saying Barkley will be world beater overnight, but if there is a team that can get the required focus and the player to come on a level, they are at Spurs. Makes sense for all parties that he makes this move. He is a player that will have flashes of brilliance and other games where he's flat, but I'd welcome him, and think he'd fit in well. Similar age to Kane, and no reason why he can't kick on. The work and application are there, just needs guidance and focus.

those quotes actually do a good job of painting Barkley as a perfect Pochettino/Tottenham signing - someone with great ability who needs a bit of direction to realize his full potential and is probably a little under priced because of it

Good old Neil Warnock the footballing genius

Back