• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

One apparent bad buy doesnt suggest we shouldnt trust Poch in who he wants to recruit. Also dont believe in this 'bench warming' tag, there is no such position at our club. We're play so many games and due to physical style of our play we get injuries so anyone not automatically in our first choice XI is still going to get a lot of games,and if prove themselves will become a first XI player.....
He's not nearly as good as our first 11 plus Lamela.

That makes him a benchwarmer. Our rotation/injuries may mean he gets games but he and we will know that he is not first choice. Will he accept that? I'd be surprised at this point in his career.

That makes him a benchwarmer. Our rotation/injuries may mean he gets games but he and we will know that he is not first choice. Will he accept that? I'd be surprised at this point in his career.

I think he's dumb enough (most footballers are) that we could easily fool him into thinking he'd be first choice if we really wanted him to sign.

Most chances created by an Englishman in PL, was in top 5 overall.
How good are those chances? A keeper lumping the ball to a striker from 90 yards away is a chance. His assists per 90 figure is pretty close to Sissoko's.

Could do with improving goal output but thats something that can be worked on....
Can it? What if he's not intelligent enough to learn? What if he's just dogbrick at scoring? You seem to be quite certain, would you be so certain if it were your £30M?

He is young enough to get better though, especially with Poch as his coach. Any young player wanting to realise their potential won't find a better coach to play under. Ross Barkley playing at his full potential might be very important player for us, assuming we even sign him.

Based on what? 23 years old means he has 9/10 years in the tank

It is my opinion that he has peaked already. His talent is mostly based on his physique and he doesn't have the football intelligence to get to the level that's required for us. He's better off as a big fish in a small pond, making big money and having his ego stroked.

He is young enough to get better though, especially with Poch as his coach. Any young player wanting to realise their potential won't find a better coach to play under. Ross Barkley playing at his full potential might be very important player for us, assuming we even sign him.
I'd rather we bought the Ross Barkley before years of dogbrick managers got their methods into him. Would be a more reasonable price too.

Which, I think, is exactly the role that Poch sees for him. There is barely a player out there for which we could afford either the transfer fee or wages who would displace one of our first choice players. The bench is another matter. My thoughts are that Poch sees Barkley as a potential back up at number 10, who has a fair chance of being developed into Dembele's long term replacement.

Agree with that.

The problem here is that expensive does not equal quality. Spending a lot of money on a backup player is a bit of a waste, especially when they'll also want massive wages and quite frankly isn't any better than what we have already.

It's the problem fans have... for us so far we have done much better with lower cost signings than expensive ones

But as it's silly season so spending is the only answer

He was unknown in that he hadn't played in the PL. Many struggle to make those steps up, never mind doing it instantly.

I'm shocked that we're interested in Barkley at all, even before you get to the money side of things. He's not nearly good enough.

Better stats for assists last season than a lot of more expensive higher rated players including .... the whole man united team, only one Liverpool player was better (wilnaldum) and only one city player was better in De Bruyne (both sides are far more attacking and better than Everton)

It is my opinion that he has peaked already. His talent is mostly based on his physique and he doesn't have the football intelligence to get to the level that's required for us. He's better off as a big fish in a small pond, making big money and having his ego stroked.

That makes no sense based on anything i have seen in football. Most players use their attributes at a younger age, be it pace or strength etc before developing game intelligence that comes from games and good coaching. There are exceptions to the rules but in 99% of cases that is what happens. Look at most top drawer players, their peak comes 27+

Having strength and the physique to survive in the prem is not a bad place to start and his Premiership stats are not bad at all.

Better stats for assists last season than a lot of more expensive higher rated players including .... the whole man united team, only one Liverpool player was better (wilnaldum) and only one city player was better in De Bruyne (both sides are far more attacking and better than Everton)
Is that per 90 or overall?

It seems to me that he appears to post good numbers because he's undroppable in that Everton team. When you filter down to per 90 numbers he more Sissoko than he is Eriksen.

Unless we're in a desperate need of one of those, we'd do well to steer clear. Whatever talent he has, he will never make the most of it.
Having a good quota of English players has served us well, and if Poch wants him he obviously thinks he has a good attitude which means he probably will make the most of his talent. I have no idea why you say with such athority he wont make the most of it, do Danny Rose, Eric Dier,Dele, Kane not apply themselves well and work hard to make the most of their talent?

That makes no sense based on anything i have seen in football. Most players use their attributes at a younger age, be it pace or strength etc before developing game intelligence that comes from games and good coaching. There are exceptions to the rules but in 99% of cases that is what happens. Look at most top drawer players, their peak comes 27+

Having strength and the physique to survive in the prem is not a bad place to start and his Premiership stats are not bad at all.

Being big and strong allowed him to break into the first team early, but he hasn't gotten any better despite years of PL experience. I think he's too thick to truly grasp the bigger picture.

Having a good quota of English players has served us well, and if Poch wants him he obviously thinks he has a good attitude which means he probably will make the most of his talent. I have no idea why you say with such athority he wont make the most of it, do Danny Rose, Eric Dier,Dele, Kane not apply themselves well and work hard to make the most of their talent?

They are different people though. I've never looked at them and thought they'd never make it. What I've seen of Barkley, I just don't get it. He has been hyped up because he's English and scores the odd goal.

Being big and strong allowed him to break into the first team early, but he hasn't gotten any better despite years of PL experience. I think he's too thick to truly grasp the bigger picture.

Thats most footballers

No in seriousness I find that comment short sighted, he scores and gets assists, Joe Cole at West Ham was 4/5 goals a season and same in assists before he went to a bigger club. I would bank on Barkley slotting into one of the roles at the club and doing very well, especially with the level of coaching and the system we play

This one isn't going away, I would be surprised if we don't get him in the end. Everton are preparing for it with Klassen and attempting to sign Sigurdsson too.

I quite like him and hope these last two pages bite some people on the arse :D

They are different people though. I've never looked at them and thought they'd never make it. What I've seen of Barkley, I just don't get it. He has been hyped up because he's English and scores the odd goal.

You never questioned Danny Rose during those years he looked completely hopeless down the left? He wasnt winger he wasn't a left back, showed very little intelligence on the field, reckless tackler.....or Harry who appeared clumsy, his first touch was a bit heavy, he had no change of speed. Did you think he would become the players he is now?

Back