• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

I'd rather back Poch to finish the job with Onomah. In 12 months time I think Onomah will have eclipsed Barkley.

Barkley has a fundamental lack of a footballing brain, which will keep him as a bottom half EPL/upper championship player, like David Dunn before him.
In addition to Onomah we have yet to see Nkoudou given a go and we have Edwards perhaps not to far away from deserving game time.

In addition to Onomah we have yet to see Nkoudou given a go and we have Edwards perhaps not to far away from deserving game time.

They are both wide players though (though I agree about wanting to see more of them). Onomah plays more specifically in the Alli/Barkley role

They are both wide players though (though I agree about wanting to see more of them). Onomah plays more specifically in the Alli/Barkley role
Yeah. But several of our current starters in wide rules are very comfortable in a central role as well. So in terms of options for the attacking midfield trio we're well equipped. Nkoudou for Alli with Eriksen moving centrally is just as valid an option as Onomah in for Alli, just as a quick example.

I would love it if we signed Barkley. I think he has the potential to become a pretty high scoring midfielder. Don't think he is a CM though.

Some unbelievable stuff gets written on here. I know it's GB but Onomah to become better than Barkley in one year! I have seen nothing from Onomah's (extremely limited, I know) game time. Seems like he has always been played in attack but has none of the weapons to thrive in attack. And it seems like he is being faded out now anyway with Winks (who does seem to have the confidence to get involved) coming through instead.

I think you can see quite quickly the confidence, which is vital, with young players and Onomah does not have it for me. Even when someone like O'hara started at the Emirates very early on you could see it wasn't confidence which would hold him back.

Someone else last year wrote that N'Jie has more potential than Mane! Really people need to take off the tinted glasses.

Bostock was one who was really highly rated but you could see he didn't have the mind for top level football almost immediately. He came through at the same time as Livermore and despite Bostock being much more highly rated, Livermore looked more comfortable and thus the better player. Onomah reminds me of Bostock a bit.

I think we should keep in mind that players like Onomah would previously have been loaned out so we wouldnt get to see them whilst they are so green - some players will take that step up in their stride but I'm sure it's fairly common for others to struggle - patience, as always, is key especially with players stepping up straight from the academy

As Billy said, patience is required but judging from what I have seen from Onomah so far, I can't see him being with us for more than another year or two. What does he excel at?

Bostock was one who was really highly rated but you could see he didn't have the mind for top level football almost immediately. He came through at the same time as Livermore and despite Bostock being much more highly rated, Livermore looked more comfortable and thus the better player. Onomah reminds me of Bostock a bit.
Pochettino seems to rate Onomah. That's good enough for me. I find it close to ridiculous that a fan would be better able to judge his likelihood of success better than Pochettino.

GB might bee overstating things, but given what we've seen from Kane, Alli, Dier, Bentaleb... I don't think it's unreasonable to think we might see similar from others.

As Billy said, patience is required but judging from what I have seen from Onomah so far, I can't see him being with us for more than another year or two. What does he excel at?

That kinda goes against what I was getting at mate - Onomah is 19 atm and for most top end premier league clubs a midfielder that young from the academy wouldn't be close to the first team (unless an exception talent) at most places he'd be getting loaned out for at least a couple of seasons so as to find his feet - at Spurs were giving young players the time to find their feet here so really in my mind he and other young players like him on the fringes of the squad have a couple of seasons to adapt and then we can start evaluating them properly and asking more of them - almost like an apprenticeship in to the first team.

That kinda goes against what I was getting at mate - Onomah is 19 atm and for most top end premier league clubs a midfielder that young from the academy wouldn't be close to the first team (unless an exception talent) at most places he'd be getting loaned out for at least a couple of seasons so as to find his feet - at Spurs were giving young players the time to find their feet here so really in my mind he and other young players like him on the fringes of the squad have a couple of seasons to adapt and then we can start evaluating them properly and aswing more of them - almost like an apprenticeship in to the first team

But what does he excel at? I'm more than willing to give him more time, just not too impressed from what I have seen so far. Winks on the other other hand definitely has something about him and doesn't appear to be fazed by the occasion.

But what does he excel at? I'm more than willing to give him more time, just not too impressed from what I have seen so far. Winks on the other other hand definitely has something about him and doesn't appear to be fazed by the occasion.

Well he hasn't shown much for the first team but that ties in to my point, you can't really be too harsh on these young players because we're giving them their chance whilst they are still wet behind the ears - a young player without first team experience picked up on loan going straight in to prem games at a side fighting at the top end of the table might not be able to show his worth straight away,

This is the same question I ask every time I see him. He doesn't appear to excel at anything

Last edited:
First of all he's a bit over a year younger than Winks. How impressive would Winks have looked a year ago playing for the first team?

Onomah in a (perhaps strange) way reminds me of Kane in that it might be difficult to identify standout strengths at a young age at a first team level. But one of his real strengths is a real lack of weaknesses. And he's excelled at a youth level for both us and England. Showcasing plenty of strengths asking the way.

First of all he's a bit over a year younger than Winks. How impressive would Winks have looked a year ago playing for the first team?

Onomah in a (perhaps strange) way reminds me of Kane in that it might be difficult to identify standout strengths at a young age at a first team level. But one of his real strengths is a real lack of weaknesses. And he's excelled at a youth level for both us and England. Showcasing plenty of strengths asking the way.

Name one

And Kane is the reason we have to give players that are held in high regard by the club time

I was showing my wife earlier pictures of Kane when he was 18 compared to now (we were talking about how tall my nepwhew is now).. and the physical difference is noticeable.

It's possible that he is playing him as an attacker to improve that side of his game whilst we wait for him to become a man physically. At least that's my logic of the situation

Bostock may yet turn out to be OK at top level. He is doing very well at Lens in Ligue 2 and has been Ligue 2 player of month September and October. All credit to him for going to Belgium and then France it was probably what he needed at that point of his career - to escape his reputation for a bit, and grow as a player out of the limelight.

Pochettino seems to rate Onomah. That's good enough for me. I find it close to ridiculous that a fan would be better able to judge his likelihood of success better than Pochettino.

GB might bee overstating things, but given what we've seen from Kane, Alli, Dier, Bentaleb... I don't think it's unreasonable to think we might see similar from others.

I'm sure you find a lot of things on the internet preposterous... I don't think we have any real idea of how highly Poch rates Onomah. He is giving all the kids a decent chance which is awesome - I don't think that means he believes they are all going to be top players.

I'm sure you find a lot of things on the internet preposterous... I don't think we have any real idea of how highly Poch rates Onomah. He is giving all the kids a decent chance which is awesome - I don't think that means he believes they are all going to be top players.

That's why he ruthlessly sells anyone approaching 21yo who is not in the 22 man squad. See Dominic Ball, Grant Ward and Alex Pritchard last window.

Bostock may yet turn out to be OK at top level. He is doing very well at Lens in Ligue 2 and has been Ligue 2 player of month September and October. All credit to him for going to Belgium and then France it was probably what he needed at that point of his career - to escape his reputation for a bit, and grow as a player out of the limelight.

The lad's still only 24. Personally, I really hope he does well and builds his career enough to secure a Prem return - I do sympathize with the fact that he probably was too young to handle the pressures that came with the way we prised him out of Palace's cold, dead hands.

Not everyone grows up to be a Harry Kane, full of relentless determination and stolid self-improvement. And that's completely acceptable.

Back