• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rooney - Is he s**t?

wow thats ridiculous. i thought we were still a few years away from the £500k p/w wage in football. i guess even if ronaldo isnt on the ~50% spanish tax rate, he must be on over £500k.

hmm, i guess next to those figures, rooney's wage packet doesnt seem as bad.

thanks for that link galeforce. maybe the £1m p/w footballer is only about 5 years or so away.

Let's be honest here, it's Man U that's made Rooney the star, not the other way round. Rooney has huge commercial value in part because of Man U.

If they sold him and reinvested of someone of similar or even lesser ilk, they'd make a new star. I'm not up to speed with the next big things so much these days, but who saw how much Cronaldo, Bale, etc exploded so suddenly.

I also don't think Rooney is up there with those that bleed red like Keane, Scholes, Giggs, etc. Of the Man U fans I know, none of them refer to Rooney as one of their greats.

wow thats ridiculous. i thought we were still a few years away from the £500k p/w wage in football. i guess even if ronaldo isnt on the ~50% spanish tax rate, he must be on over £500k.

hmm, i guess next to those figures, rooney's wage packet doesnt seem as bad.

thanks for that link galeforce. maybe the £1m p/w footballer is only about 5 years or so away.

Zlatan almost there already, he's on about 900k a week before tax if football weekly was correct when they said he was costing PSG almost 52m a year.

with the new money clubs you can understand it to a degree. They want to show a measure of intent, it helps to entice other players in and makes them a more viable force in the media and a team on the rise. But in May Yoo's case they dont need that. Now dont get me wront, Rooney is a very good player. But 300k a week good? i dont think so. If you do the logistics though as some have, paying him this means they dont spend 40m on a players who then earns 100k a week. So it equates to the same or even indrediblly save them money.

But for me the players wages are having a massive effect on the ticket prices. The ticket prices for all the sports are getting way out of hand. We only have to look over to europe to see the amoount being paid for top level games. I have seen Porto play for 15 euros, Brugge play for 10 and Dortmund play for 15. So to then pay £52 or whatever to see spurs v Stoke is a kicker.

Also its happening in rugby now as well. Tickets for crap stadiums with small stands are £35 odd and rising.

David Moyes expects contract extension for Robin van Persie

Seems to me that rvp has pulled the same trick as rooney and his agent. doesn't seem too different to rooney's deal in the sense that this could be rvp's last "big" contract and there's a great opportunity to exploit the current predicament manutd find themselves in. will be interesting too see what his salary is.

what do you guys think?

Last edited:
I don't think he is as important to the club as Rooney but he left a rival to move there and helped em win a title, he deserves to get paid

there's no "deserves" in football for me. you get paid for future performances. not past performances.

Joey Barton has been saying that Rooney had potential to be world class but he hasn't improved since he was at Everton. He compared him with Ronaldo who went on to become possibly the best in the world and mentioned Rooney is lacking mentally, and mentioned how you see him out smoking cigarettes etc.

What do people think? (other than you should never normally listen to Joey Barton obviously!)

I remember back when he first played for England and we all thought he was gonna be a future legend. What changed?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26867861

second tier i'd say, he's not Messi/Zlatan/Ronaldo but he's still both England and United best player

hell of a lot better than Barton as well

Part of the problem is that he does what he wants on the pitch, but isn't really good enough for a free role. I think he'd be more effective and consistent if he was. able to follow instructions better.

I remember as a youngster he used to get the ball out wide and knock the ball past players and go round them. Do you think going to Man Utd made him conform more to keeping possesion etc? I sometimes wonder if he would be more dangerous if he'd stayed at Everton and been their main man.

I agree with what Barton says on all counts on this. Alot of players put in enough efforts to allow them to have a lovely life off the pitch. Ronaldo dedicates his time off the pitch to be better on it and the rewards come as a result.

Because of Sky and the British media there is this culture of people being told that "The Premiership is the best league in the world" or "this person is World Class" but its that blinkered view that stops the game from progressing, people ignore performance and I think the players do it of themselves believing the hype, its almost like a culture of just doing enough. Then they see how its done on the continent and its now becoming a reality check...

I remember as a youngster he used to get the ball out wide and knock the ball past players and go round them. Do you think going to Man Utd made him conform more to keeping possesion etc? I sometimes wonder if he would be more dangerous if he'd stayed at Everton and been their main man.

I remember Fergi saying he had no natural fitness, like when he is out injured he loses fitness like a drain. Maybe that is lifestyle too....

maybe, some people are just like that though, its a metabolism thing in some cases

Yeh but that can be manipulated by diet and what you do off the pitch. I mean if King could live with one leg and be fit as a flee with no training then Rooney and 90% of players are cheating themselves

you can only alter diet so much though, especially when you burn a certain amount of calories on a daily basis in training

Perhaps he was never able to live up to the amount of expectation that was put on him.

That and he smoke 20 bifters a day apparently

He's right, Rooney is good, but he's nowhere near the level of the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Bale, Zlatan etc. At best I;d say he's in the second tier, but even then at a stretch.

Back