• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rodrigo Bentancur

Maybe Hojbjerg will still get his move in Jan and we'll look for a replacement.

It's a good thing that we can ease Bentancur back in. Not like we need to throw him straight back into playing 90 mins twice a week like he was at times last season

Maybe Hojbjerg will still get his move in Jan and we'll look for a replacement.

It's a good thing that we can ease Bentancur back in. Not like we need to throw him straight back into playing 90 mins twice a week like he was at times last season
And playing in a 3 with Biss and Madders compared to just Hojberg or Skipp will feel like half a game !

So bumping this thread,
since Rodrigo is back soon, do people think we might eventually see

Sar - Bis - Bentancour
- Madders -
Kulu - Son

With the 2 wingbacks supplying the width?

I think as far as putting our best players on the pitch, it's probably our best 11.
Obviously a change in formation and a different role for Kulu, but it might be worth a shot in certain cases. That is one scary midfield for PL teams to deal with, and I really like Sar and don't want to see him dropped when Rodrigo comes back.
What do you think?

its a good problem to have.

But I dont think Ange will change his whole team tactics for one players. Its a system of play that relies on players being in certain zones and positions. Maddison and other players have freedom to roam out of position and its covered by a team mate.

Sarr for me is growing, Biss is just bossing most games and Maddison is one best creative link. Cant see it changing. But once he is back we will have options and that is what we need.

So bumping this thread,
since Rodrigo is back soon, do people think we might eventually see

Sar - Bis - Bentancour
- Madders -
Kulu - Son

With the 2 wingbacks supplying the width?

I think as far as putting our best players on the pitch, it's probably our best 11.
Obviously a change in formation and a different role for Kulu, but it might be worth a shot in certain cases. That is one scary midfield for PL teams to deal with, and I really like Sar and don't want to see him dropped when Rodrigo comes back.
What do you think?
This formation could work (could replace Kulu for Richy or Johnson), probably best against teams that play through the middle, but I agree with @Sandman as it's not likely Ange will change his way of doing things. Ange's system seems to be working and the players look like they're playing with some kind of understanding within that system. Changing the system would be disruptive and I'm not sure our players would be better off for training on two kinds of set-ups. Maybe Ange can think about a Plan B for next season but I'm sure he just wants to cement his primary ideas into the squad first.
Finally, the strain this would put on our stable of midfielders would be too great IMO. We actually do have some cover in this position when everyone is fit, but that's a big caveat as GLC is rarely fit and Bentancur is just coming back from a big injury. We don't even know if he can operate at the same level. So for four midfielders in your 4-3-1-2, we have cover for three of them (Sarr/Skipp, Bissouma/PEH, Bentancur/???, Maddison/GLC). On top of that, I highly doubt we'd bring in wide forwards if we weren't going to use them (sure, one was free but the other cost 47m pounds).

I agree that what we're doing right now formation-wise is working and no real reason to change it, as I've mentioned it might be worth just it to try out against certain teams, especially those that play posession football. Think of the space that will be covered by Porro - Sar - Biss - Bentancour - Udogie in the area of the pitch teams try to hold the ball and pass around. Then on offence many many options to start an attack.

(hopefuly) Ange knows best, i'm just trying to imagine how that would look and I like it

I agree that what we're doing right now formation-wise is working and no real reason to change it, as I've mentioned it might be worth just it to try out against certain teams, especially those that play posession football. Think of the space that will be covered by Porro - Sar - Biss - Bentancour - Udogie in the area of the pitch teams try to hold the ball and pass around. Then on offence many many options to start an attack.

(hopefuly) Ange knows best, i'm just trying to imagine how that would look and I like it
That's exactly one of the reasons why I like to think forums like this exist: theorycrafting and trying to come up with things to talk about when Spurs aren't playing (although hopefully we will be this time next year).
On the one hand, Ange seems to have gotten his ideas across so quickly. I think he's officially been here for all of three full months now? I know he might've done some things in June but he wasn't working in an official capacity, so it's extremely impressive what he's been able to achieve in such a short time. Granted he will always remind us that there's plenty more work to do, so IMO let him do that work on his main system. I think any departure from that would be a distraction that could cause us to lose our current momentum.

So yes, we've been a bit lucky here and there (Man United starting this season like they did last, obviously last weekend against Lpool) but even if we weren't starting off well, I would still be against Ange tweaking things too much. In other words, it's easier to argue for no changes when things are going well, but my argument is that the system will eventually prove itself once the players begin to master it and gain some understanding of their teammates

That's exactly one of the reasons why I like to think forums like this exist: theorycrafting and trying to come up with things to talk about when Spurs aren't playing (although hopefully we will be this time next year).
On the one hand, Ange seems to have gotten his ideas across so quickly. I think he's officially been here for all of three full months now? I know he might've done some things in June but he wasn't working in an official capacity, so it's extremely impressive what he's been able to achieve in such a short time. Granted he will always remind us that there's plenty more work to do, so IMO let him do that work on his main system. I think any departure from that would be a distraction that could cause us to lose our current momentum.

So yes, we've been a bit lucky here and there (Man United starting this season like they did last, obviously last weekend against Lpool) but even if we weren't starting off well, I would still be against Ange tweaking things too much. In other words, it's easier to argue for no changes when things are going well, but my argument is that the system will eventually prove itself once the players begin to master it and gain some understanding of their teammates

Let him cook. He'll figure out any changes needed.

Let him cook. He'll figure out any changes needed.
It's all hypotheticals anyway. As much as I'd love to have a backup plan in place, I agree that we need more time with Ange's preferred method of play. He admitted himself that he doesn't think about how to react to other teams; he wants other teams to react to us. We are the ones dictating terms (ideally) which is that dominant spirit Ange wants to instill into the players.
I think @Yid (Israel) might have a workable tactic in the event another one of our LWs decides to join our growing treatment room, but I think Ange would rather pull up an academy player to fill in a hole than to change his plan altogether. Honestly, I think that would breathe a strong wind into the sails of the younger players.

It's all hypotheticals anyway. As much as I'd love to have a backup plan in place, I agree that we need more time with Ange's preferred method of play. He admitted himself that he doesn't think about how to react to other teams; he wants other teams to react to us. We are the ones dictating terms (ideally) which is that dominant spirit Ange wants to instill into the players.
I think @Yid (Israel) might have a workable tactic in the event another one of our LWs decides to join our growing treatment room, but I think Ange would rather pull up an academy player to fill in a hole than to change his plan altogether. Honestly, I think that would breathe a strong wind into the sails of the younger players.

What's the point of having an academy if they never get a chance? Especially one that is doing so well and plays the same way as the first team.

Agreed. An injury crisis is the only way we'd see a change like that at this point, even then it's probably unlikely. An academy player, even moving Porro to a wide attacking role may be preferable.

"Backup plan" will imo be more adjustments to the current system rather than a signing change of system.

On a note actually related to this thread. I cannot wait to see Bentancur back. Just hope his return to the best version of him is quick.

Bentancur at the level he was when at his best seems a perfect fit for this system.
Yea seems made for that number 8 role Sarr is currently playing. Think he could also play at the base of the midfield when Bissouma is out or needs a break.

Yea seems made for that number 8 role Sarr is currently playing. Think he could also play at the base of the midfield when Bissouma is out or needs a break.

Hope you're right about him as a Bissouma replacement, I'm still waiting to see on thst one. For Sarr's role he seems a perfect fit.

Hope you're right about him as a Bissouma replacement, I'm still waiting to see on thst one. For Sarr's role he seems a perfect fit.
He played as a deep CM in Conte’s system and looked our only decent player in that time. Obviously it’s a different ask in this Ange system, but he has the same “press resistant “ qualities Bissouma is showing.

Back