• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

I think most on here dont understand what Soldado is all about, what his strengths or weaknesses are and dont appreciate that strikers are of a certain mould.

Watch the youtubes and games soldado played in spain. His game is about service, whiz the ball into him with pace, into his body or into space where he onlt has one touch to finish and he is deadly. He dimply isnt a lone stiker of any type in the true sence that he plays for us. We need to whip balls into him at pace, front either wing. He is a finisher, a poacher. I

Look at him off the ball in a match. Always on the shoulder of the last defender, 3 pages ahead of our midfield, however, they dont have the vision, skill set or instruction to give it to him early. Always dwelling in the pass for a second too long, and boom, the chance has gone. Its so clear to see.

Last night Soldado put a shift in but no wonder he fades when hes has to play with trigger happy towndsend, no final produce lennon and sideways bentaleb.

I think most on here dont understand what Soldado is all about, what his strengths or weaknesses are and dont appreciate that strikers are of a certain mould.

Watch the youtubes and games soldado played in spain. His game is about service, whiz the ball into him with pace, into his body or into space where he onlt has one touch to finish and he is deadly. He dimply isnt a lone stiker of any type in the true sence that he plays for us. We need to whip balls into him at pace, front either wing. He is a finisher, a poacher. I

Look at him off the ball in a match. Always on the shoulder of the last defender, 3 pages ahead of our midfield, however, they dont have the vision, skill set or instruction to give it to him early. Always dwelling in the pass for a second too long, and boom, the chance has gone. Its so clear to see.

Last night Soldado put a shift in but no wonder he fades when hes has to play with trigger happy towndsend, no final produce lennon and sideways bentaleb.

yeah this. it so clear that soldado has great one touch skill - both in attacking goal as well as setting up another player towards goal.

surely poch has seen those videos and more, so the question remains how poch intends soldado to be played within the context of the team.

i can't believe that poch will stick with ade - he does nothing like what poch used to do at soton.

its looking likely to me that Poch needs to take a risk on starting soldado and kane some time.

Soldado is wasted at spurs as long as we stick with inverted wingers,Esp Townsend who seems incapable of cutting inside and using that angle to slip a ball in for a striker playing off the CBs shoulder. It wouldn't be so bad if his shots hit the target now and again as at least there's a chance the keeper might parry or spill it for an onrushing striker. Ian rush and linaker would struggle to score in this team if we continue to play that system with these players.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Why does everybody make so many excuses for Soldado? "He is this type of player" or "He needs that type of service" or "His team mates don't play to his strengths/are not on his wavelength" etc, etc....

The truth of the matter is that 20/21 year old academy graduate Harry Kane is consistently a bigger threat than £26 million Soldado.

Should Pochettino change the way that he wants his team to play to accomodate Soldado's strengths? (whatever they may be?) or should he instead look to sell him and bring in a player who suits his preferred style? I know which of the two I'd opt for.

Soldado is wasted at spurs as long as we stick with inverted wingers,Esp Townsend who seems incapable of cutting inside and using that angle to slip a ball in for a striker playing off the CBs shoulder. It wouldn't be so bad if his shots hit the target now and again as at least there's a chance the keeper might parry or spill it for an onrushing striker. Ian rush and linaker would struggle to score in this team if we continue to play that system with these players.

In that case let's sell him as soon as the January window opens as that is the way that Pochettino will set us up.... Kane looks a better player anyway. The question is therefore whether we want to try to sign a proper replacement for Adebayor (Bony or Benteke perhaps?) or we go and try for a player with potential (Berahino from WBA or Boulasie from Palace would be my two picks if going down that route).

I'm with Glasgow Spur.. You can clearly see that Soldado is a good player, his goal last night had poacher written all over it, he has something about Linekar about him. However, since we've bought him we've not got the best out of him, he's always got his back to goal against 2 big defenders. When Kane came on he was certainly more involved as he was getting more space with defenders thinking about Kane.

Also, the inverted wingers mean by the time the ball comes into the box he's marked by 4 defenders, it was happening time and time again last night, and particularly with Townsend, Soldado doesnt know when to make his run. What we need is the full backs overlapping, like Shaw did for Soton last season under Poch and then Soldado will be knocking them in. Or if that isnt happening we should be playing natural wingers, lennon on the right and townsend on the left..

I also think, Soldado needs to be stronger and start telling Townsend and Lennon where he wants the ball played and this should be worked on in training more.

Why does everybody make so many excuses for Soldado? "He is this type of player" or "He needs that type of service" or "His team mates don't play to his strengths/are not on his wavelength" etc, etc....

The truth of the matter is that 20/21 year old academy graduate Harry Kane is consistently a bigger threat than £26 million Soldado.

Should Pochettino change the way that he wants his team to play to accomodate Soldado's strengths? (whatever they may be?) or should he instead look to sell him and bring in a player who suits his preferred style? I know which of the two I'd opt for.

I believe an 'on form' Soldado (ie Valencia form) would be our best attacking threat so in turn it'd make sense to try and play to his strengths, no? I don't think Ade has had a similar consistent scoring record and neither has Kane, obvioisly - and asides from a proper run in AVBs time last season, where admittidly he was poor, i don't think he's had a fair crack since - the odd game here and there, no real run where he and the players in support have a chance to build an understanding.

We paid a huge some of money for him - seems stupid to not try and play a way which gets the best out of him.

Its a good arguement and to some extent i agree but Levy didnt get in what we have needed in the last 3 seasons, a proper lone striker. With this in mind Poch must, until We can get a suitable player in, play to Soldados strengths. If you dont score, you cant win football matches. Lets face it, Ade is no finisher and the jury is still out on Kane, bar one good finish which i would expect a premiership player to finish, yes his linkup play is good but its goals we want.

I think the big picture is getting lost here. We need to win football matches with the players we have. Since i can remember we have tried swuare blocks in round holes and it doesnt work. It has to stop. If Poch is as good as he and the media think he has to be able to come up with a solution to the problem which is: we dont have a player who can adeqately play up top on his own in the 433/4231 formation.

AVB, Sherwood and to an extent, Redknapp, were all unable to find a solution to this problem. Can Poch?

I couldnt care less if we sell Soldado in Jan but for **** sake, can we stop playing Ade up front on his own or Soldado up front on his own. Kane as a no 10 maybe a near solution?

Its a good arguement and to some extent i agree but Levy didnt get in what we have needed in the last 3 seasons, a proper lone striker. With this in mind Poch must, until We can get a suitable player in, play to Soldados strengths. If you dont score, you cant win football matches. Lets face it, Ade is no finisher and the jury is still out on Kane, bar one good finish which i would expect a premiership player to finish, yes his linkup play is good but its goals we want.

I think the big picture is getting lost here. We need to win football matches with the players we have. Since i can remember we have tried swuare blocks in round holes and it doesnt work. It has to stop. If Poch is as good as he and the media think he has to be able to come up with a solution to the problem which is: we dont have a player who can adeqately play up top on his own in the 433/4231 formation.

AVB, Sherwood and to an extent, Redknapp, were all unable to find a solution to this problem. Can Poch?

I couldnt care less if we sell Soldado in Jan but for **** sake, can we stop playing Ade up front on his own or Soldado up front on his own. Kane as a no 10 maybe a near solution?

I am of completely the opposite viewpoint to you. The manager has a specific way that he wants us to set up and play football. If he changes this now to accomodate Soldado, then surely we would have to start all over again in January when the manager get's the player(s) that he wants to play as centre forward? (and that's assuming he doesn't think we already have that player in Adebayor).

You say we don't have a player suited to playing up top on his own in a 433/4231 system, but I'd argue that we do - Adebayor is suited to playing that role. Against West Brom at the weekend I didn't think our problem was Adebayor not being suited to playing as a lone centre forward, I think had you swapped him with Diego Costa he also would've done as little as Adebayor did. The problem against WBA was much more deep rooted than just our lone centre foward. Personally I think it all stemmed from Capoue taking the easy option of playing in between our two centre halves when we were in posession, which in turn resulted in Dembele and our 3 attacking midfielders in front of him all having to pick the ball up too deep. This made it easy for WBA to take a good defensive shape and left Adebayor isolated.

You say that AVB, Sherwood and Redknapp were all unable to find a solution. Again I disagree. Redknapp actually solved the problem by bringing in Adebayor and we did really well under his stewardship. Sherwood reinstated Adebayor and the team started to look an attacking threat, scoring goals again. It was only AVB that struggled - now look at the player who was his choice to play in the lone centre forward role and perhaps you get the idea why we indeed struggled under AVB.

It may be that Pochettino looks to upgrade Adebayor in January (but I bet he still keeps him irrespective) but in the meantime he will need to concentate on his 4-2-3-1 formation playing in the right areas of the pitch and ensuring that the lone centre forward is not so isolated.

Last edited:
I believe an 'on form' Soldado (ie Valencia form) would be our best attacking threat so in turn it'd make sense to try and play to his strengths, no? I don't think Ade has had a similar consistent scoring record and neither has Kane, obvioisly - and asides from a proper run in AVBs time last season, where admittidly he was poor, i don't think he's had a fair crack since - the odd game here and there, no real run where he and the players in support have a chance to build an understanding.

We paid a huge some of money for him - seems stupid to not try and play a way which gets the best out of him.

For once, I am with you 100% agreement with you.

Don't see why people want to **** away £26m after just over 1 season.

As I've said elsewhere, we need to make Soldado our regular first-choice striker and see if he becomes the player we thought we were buying. He's had a full year to adapt to the premiership... unfortunately the injury niggles have prevented him getting a proper run of games this season, but surely now is the time to see if he can replicate his form in Spain. And if he can't then we need to sell him in January. There are surely Italian and Spanish sides who will be willing - and perhaps desperate for a striker at that point in the season - to roll the dice on Soldado and see if his problem is the Premier League, rather than a personal loss of form. I doubt we'd have to take too big a loss on him. The Soldado of two years ago would be a very attractive proposition to a Spanish side in need of goals.

My own preference is for him to get a run of games and start banging in goals regularly. But we need to find out one way or another and replace him sooner rather than later if he doesn't come good.

I am flabbergasted that so many of you think Soldado should be our first choice centre forward in the formation that Pochettino wants us to play in. What on earth has he shown that makes people think he would be successful?

Ignore the fact that he cost £26 million.
Ignore the fact that he scored goals in Spain.
Ignore the fact that you WANT him to do well and replace with the cold hard facts and then it is clear that he is currently third choice for a reason.... and that reason is that we only have the 3 strikers in the first team squad!

I am flabbergasted that so many of you think Soldado should be our first choice centre forward in the formation that Pochettino wants us to play in. What on earth has he shown that makes people think he would be successful?

Ignore the fact that he cost £26 million.
Ignore the fact that he scored goals in Spain.
Ignore the fact that you WANT him to do well and replace with the cold hard facts and then it is clear that he is currently third choice for a reason.... and that reason is that we only have the 3 strikers in the first team squad!

I haven't seen enough of him to make that call - i don't think anyone has. He hasn't had a run of games since AVB was here, and that was in a side which wasn't clicking at all. give him a proper run in the first team

If we sell Soldado fine, don't have a problem with that. My problem is that at the moment we seem to have midfield/attack set ups. Ericksen, Lamella and chadli supplying Ade. Isn't really working. Or Townsend and Lennon supplying Soldado or Kane,not really working either.
I would like to see that swapped round. The movement if eriksen, Lamella and Soldado compliment each other. Ades presence in the box compliments the two wingers.

I am of completely the opposite viewpoint to you. The manager has a specific way that he wants us to set up and play football. If he changes this now to accomodate Soldado, then surely we would have to start all over again in January when the manager get's the player(s) that he wants to play as centre forward? (and that's assuming he doesn't think we already have that player in Adebayor).

You say we don't have a player suited to playing up top on his own in a 433/4231 system, but I'd argue that we do - Adebayor is suited to playing that role. Against West Brom at the weekend I didn't think our problem was Adebayor not being suited to playing as a lone centre forward, I think had you swapped him with Diego Costa he also would've done as little as Adebayor did. The problem against WBA was much more deep rooted than just our lone centre foward. Personally I think it all stemmed from Capoue taking the easy option of playing in between our two centre halves when we were in posession, which in turn resulted in Dembele and our 3 attacking midfielders in front of him all having to pick the ball up too deep. This made it easy for WBA to take a good defensive shape and left Adebayor isolated.

You say that AVB, Sherwood and Redknapp were all unable to find a solution. Again I disagree. Redknapp actually solved the problem by bringing in Adebayor and we did really well under his stewardship. Sherwood reinstated Adebayor and the team started to look an attacking threat, scoring goals again. It was only AVB that struggled - now look at the player who was his choice to play in the lone centre forward role and perhaps you get the idea why we indeed struggled under AVB.

It may be that Pochettino looks to upgrade Adebayor in January (but I bet he still keeps him irrespective) but in the meantime he will need to concentate on his 4-2-3-1 formation playing in the right areas of the pitch and ensuring that the lone centre forward is not so isolated.

Ive kind of answered this in other threads but i agree with some of your points. As im in my iphone i cant bold etc so ill do a paragraph for each.

To me, it makes no sense to play the 'Poch' way without the players to do so as you wont get the results. All you are doing is wasting your time playing players out of position that wont play in jan because you will move them on as they dont 'fit' the system. No one wins. Imho better to come up with a system to get points on the board and start again in Jan, assuming Levy stops ****ing about and gets the players for the system, not those with good sell on atributes.

Id say we dont have the players for 4231 etc and id agree, to play that you need uber creative midfielders or a cracking no 10. We have neither as Eriksen and Lemela arnt firing.you may get away with it with a proper power house striker eg shearer, heskey, benteke, drogba, lukaku but ade is not this. Spends half the game on the floor and trips over his own feet and, therefore, we cant play 4231.

I often wonder what this thing with ade is, he plays well for 3/4 games then goes missing for weeks yet people think hes world class. To me ge doesnt work nearly as much as he should and if Andros wasnt around you would realise how ball greedy he is.

Finally someone has seen sense here. A striker playing in the inverted wingers system spends most of their time either a) showing with their back to goal for a ball to feet from the winger who has just cut inside or b) running across goal trying to take defenders with him to clear space for said inverted winger to run into or get a shot off. Unless you have a very cute winger who is willing to cut inside and slip neat through balls in (i.e Not Andros Townsend) it doesn't work.

This should pretty much be the be all and end all.

The Soldado experiment has clearly failed. He was poor pretty much all of last night, bar a deflection he managed to keep on target. I can't honestly see why Ade gets so much abuse and Soldado gets off scot free with so many of our fans.

He's currently our third choice striker on merit.

Sorry that is simply not true.... He did not put a shift in last night, he did not run in behind once and his movement was poor.

This isn't Spain and the English game will involve a bit more back to goal work and having to use some strength - all good foreign imports buy into this, yet he hasn't.

Harry Kane is no world beater yet look at how much more involved he is as soon as heh comes on. This comes from selfless running, a bit of fight and drive and understanding the English game.

I've never seen more excuses made for a player - sure he was good in Spain but he has looked poor in the prem and will continue to do so until he is sold.

For once, I am with you 100% agreement with you.

Don't see why people want to **** away £26m after just over 1 season.

I can't see why people want to **** away this season based on a £26m mistake. He's not shown he can do it in the last 14 ish months, so what has changed all of a sudden?

Back