• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Official - Soldado

Not been bowled over with Soldado to date but thought he did pretty well yesterday. He got absolutely no service bar for the header he missed. There's a player in there but we are giving him next to nothing.

Dirty elbow he threw though.

Defoe was poor against Hull, but Soldado was worse yesterday. Did absolutely nothing. hardly touched the ball , lost it when he did and did badly when he had a half chance.

26m price! He is 28 years old so I dont care if he's in a new country or what, he should hit the ground running. He has missed several big chances already (Cardiff, Yesterday - to name a few) Didnt want us to sign him in the first place and I am being proved right. He scored goals for Valencia blah blah blah. Yes against weaker teams in a soft league. He is not the top striker people think.

Defoe was poor against Hull, but Soldado was worse yesterday. Did absolutely nothing. hardly touched the ball , lost it when he did and did badly when he had a half chance.

Disagree, thought he worked hard, had a couple of good layoffs and although not something I saw (because I was watching on tv), the co-commentator yesterday reckoned he was making good runs all day long.

He did **** up that chance though. That I'll give you.

Disagree, thought he worked hard, had a couple of good layoffs and although not something I saw (because I was watching on tv), the co-commentator yesterday reckoned he was making good runs all day long.

He did **** up that chance though. That I'll give you.

First touch was poor. Did very , very little.

26m price! He is 28 years old so I dont care if he's in a new country or what, he should hit the ground running. He has missed several big chances already (Cardiff, Yesterday - to name a few) Didnt want us to sign him in the first place and I am being proved right. He scored goals for Valencia blah blah blah. Yes against weaker teams in a soft league. He is not the top striker people think.

What big chance did he miss v. Cardiff? ANd what big chance did he miss yesterday? By big chance, you surely mean a chance that should be scored. I think the chances you are actually referring to are half-chances at best. Oh and by "a few" did you actuallly mean 2?

He's a good/very good striker in the right team, we're just not the right team. We could go out and pay £50m for Falcao in January, he wouldn't do a great deal better than Soldado has. We made a big mistake not getting Benteke but it's too late now, the team is currently making Soldado look a lot worse than he really is.

Never really understood dropping 30 large on a top drawer international striker, then not playing to his strengths.

He thrives on crosses and balls into the box, so we play with inverted wingers that never cross the ball.

I know our width should come from our full backs, but recently, especially walker, all he wants to do is cut inside too.

Official - Soldado

I have gone back to the Scout Nation (SN) videos on YouTube to look at our Roberto and I think I have managed to pick up on why he is struggling:

1. When he played for Valencia, they seemed to move the ball forward a great deal quicker that Spurs do?
2. For Valencia, he seemed to patrol a 9 yard strip around the opponents penalty area? He is now roaming further afield with Spurs to try to get involved (which is what Adebayor was forced to do last year).
3. Roberto so reminds me of Gary Lineker. Lineker thrived on the quick ball, delivered at pace into the box, enabling him to gamble on the best place to get on the end of it. The facts of the matter are that we are not delivering these type of balls for Roberto.
4. IMV, the "inverted winger system" currently employed by Spurs nullifies approx 85% of Soldado's game? This system forces an opponent to pack their 18 yard box with defenders, which effectively cuts off the very supply he thrives on.
5. When Lennon gets the ball on the left, he invariably drifts in. When Townsend gets the ball on the right, he also invariably drifts in as well. I would like to see Lennon and Townsend swap flanks every now and then, to whip balls in with their favoured feet. If they stayed wide, this would stretch the opponents defence, thereby giving Soldado the space to use his greatest asset, which is losing his markers.
6. Some might think that some of the defending on the SN videos seem to be shocking, but the system played by Valencia creates this.
7. It's no surprise to me that Torres is playing better under Mourinho, as the 2 that support him are encouraged to stay wide!

To get the best out of Soldado, we either have to experiment with our system, or accept that he is going to be reliant on scraps for the rest of the season. The problem with this is that his barren scoring run will extend to the point where he no longer finds the inspiration to find the space to take the scraps. A proven Spanish International does not become a bad player overnight, we just have to know what makes him tick!

Never really understood dropping 30 large on a top drawer international striker, then not playing to his strengths.

He thrives on crosses and balls into the box, so we play with inverted wingers that never cross the ball.

I know our width should come from our full backs, but recently, especially walker, all he wants to do is cut inside too.

This 100%

Where are the balls through the channels to him?

Where are the 1-2's around the D? (He's had one of those and scored).

Where are the balls over the top at the right moment?

Where are the balls across the face of the goal for him to slide onto?

Where are the secondary balls breaking to him in the box?

Where's the bit of luck giving him a jammy tap in off a keeper mistake?

No, I haven't been bowled over by him either and would always prefer a Berbs type to a Soldado type, but I've seen every minute he's played for Spurs and can hardly recall a single instance of any of the above.

Also, two words: Gary Lineker. Dribbling around 6 players to score? 35 yard screamers? Blistering pace destroying defences ? Superhuman strength pushing defenders around? Eh, no.

I sometimes wonder if we watch the same game as our coaching staff.

The last few posts all seem to aggree that bobby can't play in an inverted winger system, so why are we persisting with it?

Alright, defensively, this is the most solid I've seen us in years, but surely changing the way the front 4 set up won't effact that, and it would play to our strengths offensively.

Bobby would thrive on Lennon from the right, eriksen behind and lamela/andros "the new bale" on the left.

I sometimes wonder if we watch the same game as our coaching staff.

The last few posts all seem to aggree that bobby can't play in an inverted winger system, so why are we persisting with it?

Alright, defensively, this is the most solid I've seen us in years, but surely changing the way the front 4 set up won't effact that, and it would play to our strengths offensively.

Bobby would thrive on Lennon from the right, eriksen behind and lamela/andros "the new bale" on the left.

it probably will, them not over committing means they are back there in transition, less energy expelled and maintain as much of the defensive structure as possible

it could and most probably would affect the defensive performance

thing you have to ask yourself is how harry managed it in the year he set defensive records and still had us scoring like there was no tomorrow in quite a few games

He's a good/very good striker in the right team, we're just not the right team. We could go out and pay £50m for Falcao in January, he wouldn't do a great deal better than Soldado has. We made a big mistake not getting Benteke but it's too late now, the team is currently making Soldado look a lot worse than he really is.

Dont think Benteke would do anything either.
The only striker that would do anything in our current set up is one who can create something from nothing for himself like Suarez.

Play Lennon on the right Townsend on the left. Townsend won't be as tempted to shoot all the time and look to cross by going outside on his right. Lennons 1 in 4 good deliveries will reap rewards a quarter of the time.

Add the silk of Holtby/Eriksen/Sigurossen/Dembele and you will have assists from the centre too.

Simples.

Dont think Benteke would do anything either.
The only striker that would do anything in our current set up is one who can create something from nothing for himself like Suarez.

Yep, Suarez doesn't really need 'service'. He can run with it from the half way line and score, win free kicks, win penalties, etc. For a laugh. In other words, 'production'. A match winner. No worries or excuses about 'service'.

If we spent 30 mil on a player who apparently needs it served up on a platter, in the 6 yard box, with no (big) defenders around him, well I dunno...

And, Benteke would at least win some headers.

And oh, did we really spend 100 mil plus on players and yet we still don't have a game changer/impact player on the bench?

Last edited:

I was at the game yesterday and he worked his socks off

Three times he beat a bigger man to a header

He fought for the ball from there defence and put the through ball in for. Verts pen chance

He elbowed Jagielka when he was fed up of being held - he showed fight that non of our forwards have shown for a long time

He was passed the ball TWICE in the area!!!! That's ****ing awful for any forward to work with but he is all about the ball in the box.

He is a natural finisher, but what we haven't done is play the same number 10 behind him this season (has to be eriksen as lazy as he has been as at least he is a 10). I love Holtby but he never stays in the attacking third.

He also needs some bloody support from midfield generally otherwise he will always have 4 men marking him

It's no coincidence that a similar player from Spain is looking great in Negredo (he is more physical and aerial I know) with a side playing fast dynamic passes

He will still score 20 plus this season I'm convinced and that's a great season Imo

With this set-up he'd score a hatful I reckon...

----------------------Lloris------------------------------
Walker---Kaboul/Dawson---Chiriches-------------Vert
--------------------Sandro------Paulinho----------------
Lennon/Lamela---------Eriksen-------Townsend/Lamela
-----------------------Soldado----------------------------

With this set-up he'd score a hatful I reckon...

----------------------Lloris------------------------------
Walker---Kaboul/Dawson---Chiriches-------------Vert
--------------------Sandro------Paulinho----------------
Lennon/Lamela---------Eriksen-------Townsend/Lamela
-----------------------Soldado----------------------------

For home games, I'd drop one of Paulinho or Sandro as well tbh and add another creative player.

Back