• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Official - Soldado

His ability to hold a ball and deliver superb, first-time passes at the right moments have led to several goals this season; I think Sigurdsson would certainly be happy to explain to you how good his link-up play is (providing teams don't strangle the midfielders supporting him, in which case he is deprived of people to link up with!)...he's a pretty complete forward. He's not more a hold up player than Aguero, but he can hold the ball when necessary...BTW, he'd have had at least 3 more premier league goals if people had passed to him when he was standing slightly dropped off from the 6 yard box with a clear open path to goal instead of shooting. He will score 20 goals this season NO problem. And before you ask, yup, you can stick that on me, I'm happy to accept the responsibility. He's already got what, 6?

you and superlatives, like a stubborn marriage

not sure how you hold a ball AND deliver superb first time passes at right moments. you cant do both at the same time..., have to say that he has contributed to a few goals this season but so have the scorers and other people involved just as much if not alot more than him.

yes the drop off to siggy was nice, that means that this guy has EXCELLENT link up play? well he's not special then, defoe has laid off a goal or two, giroud did one the other day, chamahk did it for arsenal, dean ashton, adebayor couldnt stop assisting two seasons ago and thats not even mentioning the top class strikers who actually do have excellent link up play and seem deserving of the word. seems being an excellent link player is an easy target. maybe for the ransom we paid we should be looking for super excellent then.

plus you're one of those people blaming service and people not passing to him at the right time...you did do that for ade and defoe right? makes you wonder how strikers in poorer teams with poorer midfields even get a single goal...or even vice versa (good strikers on good teams)

and yes i am holding you to 20 league goals this season

Last edited:

I think he is a clever player, more pass and move than bringing other people into the game although I do remember a chest off that lead to a goal, I do think however that he will turn out to be a great buy.

agree with this, aside from the last bit

he wont be a great buy until the team plays more penetrative football and he gets involved more in build up IMO

you and superlatives, like a stubborn marriage

not sure how you hold a ball AND deliver superb first time passes at right moments. you cant do both at the same time..., have to say that he has contributed to a few goals this season but so have the scorers and other people involved just as much if not alot more than him.

yes the drop off to siggy was nice, that means that this guy has EXCELLENT link up play? well he's not special then, defoe has laid off a goal or two, giroud did one the other day, chamahk did it for arsenal, dean ashton, adebayor couldnt stop assisting two seasons ago and thats not even mentioning the top class strikers who actually do have excellent link up play and seem deserving of the word. seems being an excellent link player is an easy target. maybe for the ransom we paid we should be looking for super excellent then.

plus you're one of those people blaming service and people not passing to him at the right time...you did do that for ade and defoe right? makes you wonder how strikers in poorer teams with poorer midfields even get a single goal...or even vice versa (good strikers on good teams)

and yes i am holding you to 20 league goals this season

Errr...you receive the ball with your back to goal, you wait until the right moment/second and then deliver a technically excellent pass to the supporting player.
You're barking up the wrong tree re: Defoe, I like him a lot, but for me we have found a striker who is simply better.

You're also barking up the wrong tree with Ade, I am one of the only people here who continually points out what he brings to the team even when playing at 70%!

Yup, correct, I have seen several times this season when he has dropped a yard off or around into the perfect space to place a shot into a virtually empty net from 7-8 yards and he has not been seen. This is because we have not had a striker who moves like he does in the box for a long time. Did I 'do that' for Ade and Defoe? For Ade absolutely, indeed I'll pull and 'Affy' here and say that I've defended him to people like you in the past (when I say 'do an Affy' I mean I'll just throw something provocative out there and see if you bite, whether it's true or not)...

If you're absolutely honest (which i won't hold my breath for) your big gripe is the money spent on Soldado. You were one of the people who said you'd keel over if Levy spent over 20 million pounds on a player, and he did it twice this summer which must've been hard to take.

If you genuinely don't like, or agree, that Soldado is a striker who makes a huge difference to our side, then fair play. But I'd ask for more substantial criticism than that which you've offered.

Apologies, by the way, for my sensationally superb superlative! :lol:;)

agree with this, aside from the last bit

he wont be a great buy until the team plays more penetrative football and he gets involved more in build up IMO

Tbh who has he got to interact with, Ericksen and Holtby need more time to settle although he done well with Holtby in he second half, the answer could be Lennon hitting the dead ball line and pulling the ball back, Soldado seems a cool finisher.

Errr...you receive the ball with your back to goal, you wait until the right moment/second and then deliver a technically excellent pass to the supporting player.
You're barking up the wrong tree re: Defoe, I like him a lot, but for me we have found a striker who is simply better.

You're also barking up the wrong tree with Ade, I am one of the only people here who continually points out what he brings to the team even when playing at 70%!

Yup, correct, I have seen several times this season when he has dropped a yard off or around into the perfect space to place a shot into a virtually empty net from 7-8 yards and he has not been seen. This is because we have not had a striker who moves like he does in the box for a long time. Did I 'do that' for Ade and Defoe? For Ade absolutely, indeed I'll pull and 'Affy' here and say that I've defended him to people like you in the past (when I say 'do an Affy' I mean I'll just throw something provocative out there and see if you bite, whether it's true or not)...

If you're absolutely honest (which i won't hold my breath for) your big gripe is the money spent on Soldado. You were one of the people who said you'd keel over if Levy spent over 20 million pounds on a player, and he did it twice this summer which must've been hard to take.

If you genuinely don't like, or agree, that Soldado is a striker who makes a huge difference to our side, then fair play. But I'd ask for more substantial criticism than that which you've offered.

Apologies, by the way, for my sensationally superb superlative! :lol:;)

Good post.

Defoe has proven over his career that he goes on purple patches only to disappoint in the long run.

Adebayor whilst being talented doesn't have the hunger to be a top player and he's unrealiable.

Early days yet but I fail to see how people can't spot Soldado's first touch is better, finishing is better and his linkup play is better.

Good post.

Defoe has proven over his career that he goes on purple patches only to disappoint in the long run.

Adebayor whilst being talented doesn't have the hunger to be a top player and he's unrealiable.

Early days yet but I fail to see how people can't spot Soldado's first touch is better, finishing is better and his linkup play is better.

He's scored one goal in open play in seven games for starters, missing a number of decent chances along the way.

He's not linked up particularly well, as we've been a bit toothless in attack, granted that's also the guys behind him however he has to shoulder some of the blame.

His first touch is decent though. Can't argue there.

He'll be given time, but i for one hope he improves.

He's scored one goal in open play in seven games for starters, missing a number of decent chances along the way.

He's not linked up particularly well, as we've been a bit toothless in attack, granted that's also the guys behind him however he has to shoulder some of the blame.

His first touch is decent though. Can't argue there.

He'll be given time, but i for one hope he improves.

How many chances has he actually had? He should have scored a couple against Cardiff, apart from that I don't remember too many misses. He was involved in the buildup to other goals as well. His success in Spain doesn't automatically mean he's going to be a success here, but the other two aren't reliable enough.

Good post.

Agreed. Early days indeed, but it is at the very least encouraging that our attacks are not thwarted before they start by needless offsides (Ade and Defoe are you watching).

Do people think Defoe would have had the awareness of Soldado to lay the ball to Eriksen in Siggys goal v Norwich, and lay off for Siggy's goal v chelsea? Defoe would have tried to score straight away. I think Soldado's link up play is good and for me is our definite number 1 striker. How people say he has missed numerous chances. Off the top of my head I dont think we have created that many clear cut chances for him? Defoe arguably had an easier chance than Soldado has had at all against West Ham and he missed it..

Do people think Defoe would have had the awareness of Soldado to lay the ball to Eriksen in Siggys goal v Norwich, and lay off for Siggy's goal v chelsea? Defoe would have tried to score straight away. I think Soldado's link up play is good and for me is our definite number 1 striker. How people say he has missed numerous chances. Off the top of my head I dont think we have created that many clear cut chances for him? Defoe arguably had an easier chance than Soldado has had at all against West Ham and he missed it..

I think this post should be referred to whenever people question why Soldado starts over Defoe, especially the bolded bits

...so you enjoyed the second goal on Sunday then I trust?!!!!!

yes i did.

but only people like you, the superlative addicts ;), equate that to consistency and therefore part of someone's entire game for the match.

basically for you because he did that then he must do it all the time. rubbish , talk to gary neville that seem fixated on solly. he'll probably tell you that solly doesnt get involved enough...you can retort by saying well because of the goal then he does get involved enough

and which part of "more" doesnt allow for the goal anyway?

yes i did.

but only people like you, the superlative addicts ;), equate that to consistency and therefore part of someone's entire game for the match.

basically for you because he did that then he must do it all the time. rubbish , talk to gary neville that seem fixated on solly. he'll probably tell you that solly doesnt get involved enough...you can retort by saying well because of the goal then he does get involved enough

and which part of "more" doesnt allow for the goal anyway?

I'm not near you right now, so I could not sit you down and illustrate, using all of Gary Neville's technological toys, the amount of times Soldado's involved in passages of play in the final third. You are aware that sometimes, a player is vital to a move without touching the ball so long as moves with intelligence, right? Love the fact you didn't bother replying to my longer reply to you, says it all really matey...no superlatives necessary! :lol:

ive said it before and il say it again, the inverted wide player style does Soldado (or any other striker) no favours at all

he will still have to feed off scr@ps if we continue to play like this

I'm not near you right now, so I could not sit you down and illustrate, using all of Gary Neville's technological toys, the amount of times Soldado's involved in passages of play in the final third. You are aware that sometimes, a player is vital to a move without touching the ball so long as moves with intelligence, right? Love the fact you didn't bother replying to my longer reply to you, says it all really matey...no superlatives necessary! :lol:

gary used his eyes to say that solly isnt involved much.....i trust him though not completely. you are right , you would need to give me front box seats view with technology to show me what solly is doing. cause i cant see it on the box

no it doesnt. it says i have a life, that i actually work for a living and probably didnt have the time as some stay at home workers to make a lengthy reply cause a working man tends to have a time set for him to turn up to work you know. and they do this like everyday....says it all that you dont even consider that......absolutely shocking!!!!!(see what i did there with the superlative? ;))

and i apprecaite the lack of superlatives too, i wouldnt want to let out a loud sigh in the office LOL

Last edited:

ive said it before and il say it again, the inverted wide player style does Soldado (or any other striker) no favours at all

he will still have to feed off scr@ps if we continue to play like this

this IMO is accurate. Soldado's movement in and around the box is very good.

for the record i'll get time to reply to your lengthy one during lucnh or dinner

gary used his eyes to say that solly isnt involved much.....i trust him though not completely. you are right , you would need to give me front box seats view with technology to show me what solly is doing. cause i cant see it on the box

no it doesnt. it says i have a life, that i actually work for a living and probably didnt have the time as some stay at home workers to make a lengthy reply cause a working man tends to have a time set for him to turn up to work you know. and they do this like everyday....says it all that you dont even consider that......absolutely shocking!!!!!(see what i did there with the superlative? ;))

and i apprecaite the lack of superlatives too, i wouldnt want to let out a loud sigh in the office LOL

:eek:

Errr, does this count as 'off-topic'?

Back