• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Re-signing for a former club

Pirate55

The Last Man Standing 17/18
is it a good thing?

We have had some bad experiences recently with re-signing players. Chimbonda and Keane were disasters. Defoe and Crouch were ok and Kaboul and Sherringham were successes.

Which camp will Ade fall into? I hope it will be the latter, but I fear it may be the former.

I don't think Keane was a disaster - he did ok and his goals helped quite a bit during that terrible season

I think there is a good case for saying never go back. Klinsmann is another where it didn't work out.

Perhaps it's notable that the relative successes were players who had played for the manager just before joining us again (Kaboul, Defoe and Crouch).

The exception is for players who have been with us for a long time, establishing their records, and are coming back in their twilight when we know they are past thgeir best, e.g. Sheringham (and Jennings in a token way).

I think there is a similar danger for a player coming back as manager. Even Hoddle, a club legend, left slightly diminished. Rowe and Nicholson were different as they never really left.

P.S. I wouldn't count Ade as going back. Its was more a loan as a prelude to a permanent deal.

I don't think Keane was a disaster - he did ok and his goals helped quite a bit during that terrible season

He was just shocking on his return. I dont know what they did to him at Liverpool, but they completely changed him from one of my favourite players to one I couldnt bear to watch. The transformation was just staggering.

I think there is a good case for saying never go back. Klinsmann is another where it didn't work out.

Perhaps it's notable that the relative successes were players who had played for the manager just before joining us again (Kaboul, Defoe and Crouch).

The exception is for players who have been with us for a long time, establishing their records, and are coming back in their twilight when we know they are past thgeir best, e.g. Sheringham (and Jennings in a token way).

I think there is a similar danger for a player coming back as manager. Even Hoddle, a club legend, left slightly diminished. Rowe and Nicholson were different as they never really left.

P.S. I wouldn't count Ade as going back. Its was more a loan as a prelude to a permanent deal.[/QUOTE]

I think Ade himself thought of it as only one season. He harboured hopes of going to Real Madrid. But Mourinho, who had him on loan (and played him to devastating effect against us in the CL) obviously didnt fancy signing him full time. I wonder why?

He was just shocking on his return. I dont know what they did to him at Liverpool, but they completely changed him from one of my favourite players to one I couldnt bear to watch. The transformation was just staggering.

I think we did it to him before he went to Liverpool. I don't think his performances were great before we sold him - that's why we all found it so funny that Liverpool paid so much money for him.

I think we did it to him before he went to Liverpool. I don't think his performances were great before we sold him - that's why we all found it so funny that Liverpool paid so much money for him.

Sorry I dont agree. Unless my memory is failing me, didnt we just miss out on CL football under Jol with Keane and Berba running wild and scoring for fun. I was really upset when Keane went and even at the inflated fee thought Liverpool had got a bargain. I remember thinking Torres and Keane in tandem would be a real force to be reckoned with. Less than half a season later, he returned for a fraction of the price a beaten and deflated man - and was nowhere near the same player again.

Ramos was in charge of us when Keane and Berbatov left, we had won the Carling Cup months before we sold Keane to Liverpool. Last few months of the season he seemed to just be breezing by, wasn't the Keane he used to be and his partnership with Berbatov didn't look at scintillating as it once did. Scored an awesome goal against Chelsea though.

Looking at THFC6061's site, it looks like Keane scored 3 league and 5 cup goals in the 2nd half of the season. Somewhere in the middle I guess - hardly prolific, but useful.

Klinsmanns return was successful considering the brick we were in at the time? 9 goals in 15 games (albeit 4 against Wimbledon, but it was that game that saved us from oblivion)

I don't think that Adebayor has re-signed for Spurs, as he was never our player to start with.

We had him on a loan deal and decided to make the move permanent, which is a bit different to one of our players leaving Spurs and signing for a different club, only to return some time later.

Sorry I dont agree. Unless my memory is failing me, didnt we just miss out on CL football under Jol with Keane and Berba running wild and scoring for fun

Nope, Berbatov didn't sign until 2006. And yes, I think there was some evidence he was on the decline by the time we sold him. A rising tide carries all and we certainly improved a lot over that period. I think, when played around a higher standard at Liverpool, and when he came back into a struggling team, it is was more evident.

The Keane one was strange really but you can hardly say it was bad business for us, essentially we got paid a large chunk of money to loan him out for half a season. It is true he never looked the same player after he came back but as some have mentioned I think it might have just been coincidental as his career was winding down. Even though he didn't score a lot of goals when he came back it definitely gave us a boost in confidence when we were truly in the brick and his overall play was still useful.

Kaboul and Defoe obviously worked out really well for us.

Keane had had two excellent seasons but the price offered by Liverpool was crazy. Levy wrote one of his public letters complaining about tapping up by Liverpool and United, but had sealed the deal for Keane within a few days. Clearly we only signed Keane back because Defoe got injured. A bit of a panic buy but he got a few important goals, so it was probably a reasonable decision. I think its a shame that we ended up seeing him in the declined form rather than remembering his best spell just before he left. In retrospect I think we can say Keane and Berbatov was a combination that was better than its parts. Berbatov has the extra class but has never been as effective as he was alongside Keane, even when you'd think Rooney could do everything Keane did.

Its funny how Liverpool gave up on Keane so soon and sold him when they were short of strikers. Now they are doing the same with Carroll.

For what he cost us, and considering how little of that we got back he was at least pretty close to a disaster.

--------------------

Ade didn't really re-sign in my eyes, just signed permanently after being on loan. In general if you've been at the club before or not is of little importance compared to if you're good enough or not.

Generally think it's a bad thing - Keane, Defoe, Chimbonda, Crouch, Klinsmann, Sheringham, Hazard all ultimately disappointed on their return. Kaboul is the one exception I can think of.

I don't think Ade really ever left though - he was a loanee who we made permanent, with a brief interlude while negotiations were ongoing.

Generally think it's a bad thing - Keane, Defoe, Chimbonda, Crouch, Klinsmann, Sheringham, Hazard all ultimately disappointed on their return. Kaboul is the one exception I can think of.

I don't think Ade really ever left though - he was a loanee who we made permanent, with a brief interlude while negotiations were ongoing.

Really struggling to understand your logic with that one. Can you explain in more detail why you think they disappointed?

Back