• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Wigan

Friedel- 7

Walker - 5
Caulker - 6
Gallas- 4
Vertonghen - 7

Lennon - 5
Sandro - 6
Huddlestone- 6
Bale - 6

Dempsey - 4
Defoe - 3

Sig - 4
Ade - 6

Friedel 6
Walker 5
Caulker 6
Gallas 6.5
Vertonghen 6.5
Lennon 5
Sandro 6
Huddlestone 5
Bale 6
Dempsey 4
Defoe 5

Sigurðsson 5
Adebayor 5
Carroll 6

Friedel - Needs dropping

Walker - Needs dropping
Caulker - Decent
Gallas - Needs dropping
Vertonghen - Good

Sandro - We missed him
Hudd - Still looks off the pace
Lennon - Anonymous
Dempsey - Needs to start either with Adebayor or on the bench
Bale - Was brick on the right

Defoe - Needs dropping

Sig - Should play further forward although having arguably our 3 best CMs injured doesn't help
Adebayor - Must start from now on. We can't keep dingdonging around just because Defoe has scored goals (the clowns booing when Defoe came off for Ade yesterday were a joke)
Carroll - didn't look up to the occasion - very difficult circumstances to make your PL debut under.

We missed Dembélé hugely and with no muscle in midfield after Sandro went off, our centre was limp. Sigurdsson should not play at CM. Btw, why did we resort to lumping the ball into the box for the last 15 minutes? I thought we had outgrown such a crude and desperate strategy after Crouch left... You would have thought shifting to a back 3 would have meant we focused on keeping the ball in midfield..

Friedel 5 - should have done better for the goal; he's a great shot stopper but was never the kind to be brave and claim the foul
Walker 5 - poor form continues
Caulker 6 - solid play all round
Gallas 6 - good interceptions
Vertonghen -
Lennon 5 - became the little man again
Sandro 6 - the usual sandro show, pity the injury
Huddlestone 6 - never seen him so mobile before, but not suited to the high tempo passing - pressing game
Bale 6 - above average, but...
Dempsey 6- tried hard, very hard but couldnt release the ball in time to avoid being tackled
Defoe 5 -don't remember anything about his play except his disgruntled slow walk off the pitch

Sigurðsson 6 - did what he could - one of two nice passes and defended well up and down the pitch.
Adebayor 6 -OK for a start, still getting used to the players
Carroll 5 - took some time to adjust, can't say i remember much

Friedel 6,5
Walker 5,5
Gallas 5,5
Caulker 5,5
Vertonghen 6,5
Sandro 6
Huddlestone 6,5
Lennon 5,5
Demspey 5
Bale 6,5
Defoe 5,5

Sigurdsson 5,5
Adebayor 6
Carroll -

6.5 is your highest rating - based on what have Friedel and Huddlestone recieved that - out of interest?

Your love of Lloris blinds you to Brads display. Two very good saves kept us in the game. Ok he made a mistake for the goal, but so did Lloris for Norwich winner.

Regarding his distribution, when passed back to him and everyone is marked what else is he supposed to do. Its not his fault we have no targets to aim for.

Completely agree...
Also i was at the game and agree that Hudd although by no means great was one of the few players who moved the ball quick enough at times to allow players space.
Everyone was well below par but agree that Friedel/Hudd/Bale at least had moments where they looked the part.
Bare in mind 6.5 is not a good score, simply better then the rest who were even worse.

6.5 is your highest rating - based on what have Friedel and Huddlestone recieved that - out of interest?

I think Unit Kaboom has pretty much summed it up for me. Friedel made two good saves in the first half that kept us in the game. YOu can say that the shots were pretty much straight at him, but he stayed patiently on his feet where many other keepers go down too early. I agree he could have done better for the goal, something I have also punished him for in my rating. Would probably have been half or a whole point higher without it. Having said that, the biggest mistake was probablty not tracking Ben Watson.

Huddlestone was our most positive attacking player along with Bale. He spread some decent passes around and looked to hit an early pass whilst there was still some room available. I can mention a perfectly threaded pass through to Caulker inside the penalty area in the second half that Caulker unfortunately couldn't control quickly enough. He also had a lovely chipped pass out to Bale on the flank late on that Bale shot tamely at the keeper. In short, he was our only player who showed any kind on creativity and invention in his passing. Everyone else just played simple passes they was never going to hurt Wigan.

6,5 is not a high rating though. In fact it is my average, my starting point.

I'd like to see the results of a full-on professional video analysis of our performance in this game. My suspicion is that it would be even worse than the average player rating in this thread would suggest.

Edit: that might even include GGG's universal 1, but we can apply statistical methods otherwise.

Last edited:
So. Where to begin. With our worst performance of the season, surpassing the 5.54 we got against Norwich (H) a lot of players have received sub 5.5 ratings this time. Only Adebayor improved upon his last match and he still got a sub-5.5 in this one. Seems to me that resting players in the League Cup didn't help with this performance, notably with Lennon whose performance dropped an astonishing 2.39 points from the Southampton game.

MOTM was Vertonghen with the lowest rating for a MOTM of the season with 6.37. This was his 4th MOTM of the season, 2 more than anyone else. Previous lowest MOTM was Dembele vs Panathinaikos (A) with 6.45.

Positives

None.

Negatives

Worst performance of the season by (previous worst in brackets):

Friedel - 5.29 (5.65) - Third consecutive worst performance in a row and first sub-5.5
Huddlestone 5.08 (5.27) - Second sub-5.5 performance in 7 games.
Dempsey 4.00 (4.23) - Second consecutive worst performance in a row and fourth sub-5.5 performance, incredibly almost got the first sub-4 of the season.
Carroll - 5.46 (6.14) - Only his second game this season and first sub-5.5

Second worst performance of the season with sub-5.5:

Walker - 4.89 - 4th sub-5.5 of the season (Chelsea (H) only being worse)
Lennon - 5.32 - 2nd sub-5.5 of the season (Norwich (H) only being worse)
Defoe - 4.61 - 4th sub-5.5 of the season (Norwich (H) only being worse)
Sigurdsson - 4.79 - 4th sub-5.5 of the season (QPR (H) only being worse)
Adebayor - 5.44 - 2nd sub-5.5 of the season (Chelsea (H) only being worse)

jbAap.jpg

So. Where to begin. With our worst performance of the season, surpassing the 5.54 we got against Norwich (H) a lot of players have received sub 5.5 ratings this time. Only Adebayor improved upon his last match and he still got a sub-5.5 in this one. Seems to me that resting players in the League Cup didn't help with this performance, notably with Lennon whose performance dropped an astonishing 2.39 points from the Southampton game.

MOTM was Vertonghen with the lowest rating for a MOTM of the season with 6.37. This was his 4th MOTM of the season, 2 more than anyone else. Previous lowest MOTM was Dembele vs Panathinaikos (A) with 6.45.

Positives

None.

Negatives

Worst performance of the season by (previous worst in brackets):

Friedel - 5.29 (5.65) - Third consecutive worst performance in a row and first sub-5.5
Huddlestone 5.08 (5.27) - Second sub-5.5 performance in 7 games.
Dempsey 4.00 (4.23) - Second consecutive worst performance in a row and fourth sub-5.5 performance, incredibly almost got the first sub-4 of the season.
Carroll - 5.46 (6.14) - Only his second game this season and first sub-5.5

Second worst performance of the season with sub-5.5:

Walker - 4.89 - 4th sub-5.5 of the season (Chelsea (H) only being worse)
Lennon - 5.32 - 2nd sub-5.5 of the season (Norwich (H) only being worse)
Defoe - 4.61 - 4th sub-5.5 of the season (Norwich (H) only being worse)
Sigurdsson - 4.79 - 4th sub-5.5 of the season (QPR (H) only being worse)
Adebayor - 5.44 - 2nd sub-5.5 of the season (Chelsea (H) only being worse)

jbAap.jpg

Good work but a bit depressing to read :(

No, I don't believe in match ratings with no thought or effort and just the result of emotional overreactions. Some may argue that's all of them!

Back