• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Saints (first half ratings. Second half was an embarrassment)

You can do what you want. My ratings are based on the first half as the thread title suggests, as the second half we were woeful. It would be difficult to rate the two halves as they were totally and utterly opposites.

Sorry it confused you.

Ok. I am just going to assume people are voting for the whole game as normal.

The 2nd half wasn't great but it wasn't quite the worst half of football in the history of forever, people are overreacting. People are down on Walker so are underrating him here, if Defoe wasn't so wasteful he'd have had a couple of assists to his name and I can only recall one dodgy defensive moment during the game.

So we didn't control the game in the second half like we did in the first away from home and we're slating the team even though we won and, if we were being honest, Southampton didn't really create anything that was that dangerous apart from their goal and the long hopeful punt that came off their players shoulder . On that, a great save from old man Friedel from the corner and that ball could have gone anywhere but ended up at Rodriguez's feet.

Thought that Dempsey was poor, he offers very little, however in the end he won us the game because of the run he made. Hudd wasn't that good either yet set up our opener. Defoe missed a few (not sitters) but looked busy and troubled them. Bale wasn't great but scored. Gallas was the MOM for me, followed by Sandro and Lennon. Caulker kept Lambert quiet, he looks like he will progress and be a great defender in time.

People are reacting to how they felt - uncomfortable because in their minds it should have been easier. Well get real people. I've been around the block enough to realise that away from home there will always be a period where you are up against it, it is never ever easy. Yesterday we responded brilliantly, blocking, harrying and chasing. They had their period in that second half, on their own turf ffs, but couldn't get passed us, why is that a bad thing?

Lennon was my MOM closly followed by Sandro, both Gallas and Walker were better then the previous week.

Friedel - 5.5. Some nervous moments - particularly when coming off his line

Walker - 6. Better than last week (although that's not saying much), some great runs and some intelligent crosses (particularly cutbacks), didn't switch off as much as he has done recently.
Gallas - 7. Personally thought Billy G was also much better than last week (same as above though, as it'd be difficult to be any worse), won some big headers, was a leader, couple of shaky moments but otherwise a really good performance.
Caulker - 6. Quietly and calmly effective, as always, without standing out. Want him to really start to dominate the defense soon.
Verts - 6. Not so much trademark bucaneering attacking in this game, was pretty solid defensively, although like others I noticed a couple of lazy moments when he didn't track back as much as he should have

Sandro - 8. Monstrous, as per usual, a beast in 50-50s and intelligent in possession. Some great tackles and one EPIC headed block in particular.
Thudd - 7. Ran the show first half, metronome type performance, makes us beautifully fluid and I love the way he always gets Bale/Azza in the game. Visibly tired second half, influence faded = the team's possession game faded. Getting better with more games though...
Dempsey - 6.5. Got his goal - he's a goalscorer and this is a skill he possesses which I see is already being underrated (he GAMBLES, makes good runs, has the 'in the right place' quality VDV had). Clint is a strange one - sometimes he picks the ball up, is strong and difficult to shift, turns and moves well into space before releasing. Other times he doesn't show that same strength and touch, or gets it under and then dallies, failing to see teammates in good positions quickly. So he can look either horrendously inconsistent, or worse very anonymous. IMO Dempsey is still finding his way in this team and needs time/patience. I am as guilty as anyone of comparing his mentally to VDV... but that's not fair, as they're different players.

Lennon - 8. Superb again from Azza - my MOTM. Several pacy, direct, probing runs which caused panic in SCBC's defense... most outstandingly for our second follow, which he followed up with a great pass for JD.. as well as beating a couple of men and running half the length of the pitch to set up a great chance for Walker. Azza is in great form and really looks a key member of our front three
Defoe - 6. Not the best recent performance from JD - was his most selfish and frustrating self, with largely inaccurate shooting and erratic decision-making. Having said that, unlucky not to score, and he was constantly a buzzing threat at the very least.
Bale - 7.. Ridiculously good header for his goal - he seems to really be consistently adding this ability to attack crosses to his armoury. Some good/great runs and crosses as always. Wasn't as involved in the general flow of the game as he might have been though.

Friedel - 6 Unlucky that his save led to the goal. Still too much of a home bird (i.e. rooted to his line).

Walker - 7 Great first half I thought which was good to see. Defor should have done a lot better with some of his cutbacks.
Gallas - 7 Some key defensive moments in the 2nd half.
Caulker - 6. Ok. Nothing more.
Verts - 5.5 Solid defensively in the 1st half, but for the 2nd or 3rd game running has decided to not track back on numerous occasions.

Sandro - 6.5 Solid with a few spectacular defensive moments added in.
Thudd - 6.5 Slowly coming back into form. Was missed when subbed in the 2nd half.
Dempsey - 6 Didn't do enough for me in this game either but I have a feeling he would shine playing with Ade. Good follow up for the goal.
Lennon - 7.5 Our best player at the moment.
Defoe - 6 Thought he made good decisions in this game with his layoffs and positioning but terribly wasteful with his shooting.
Bale - 6.5 Great header but fell away in the 2nd half along with a lot of the others.

Livermore 5 - I love the guy but he didn't really add anything to this game. Doesn't compliment Sandro at all.
Siggy 5 - Can't remember anything he did at all.

Friedel 6,5 - Solid game

Walker 7 - How to rate that performance? I thought he was excellent in the first half. Perhaps our best player. He made several good runs down the right flank and also picked out his man with his crosses. After half time he began makign bad decisions on the ball in the defensive third again and caused us some trouble. Overall a decent performance though.

Gallas 7,5 - A good performance here. Untroubled in the first half, but in the second he made a few important clearances and blocks inside out box.

Caulker 7,5 - Put in another good performance. In the first half I was impressed with him on the ball. Creative play from the back and one pass for Defoe with the outside of his foot was particularly impressive. Coped okay when under pressure in the 2nd half.

Vertonghen 7 - Decent perfomance, albeit less eyecatching than some of his previous ones. Put a couple of good balls into the box from the left side. Struggled slightly with Mayuka's quick feet in the second half, but did ok.

Sandro 7,5 - Some very good passing in the first half which was nice to see as it hasn't always been his strong point to put in mildly. In the second half we just couldn't keep the ball, but at least he showed what a hard motherfudger he is when he stopped that shot with his head in the dying minutes.

Huddlestone 7 - Decent performance. A nice assist for Bale, although it is fair to say that Bale made a lot out of little. Some good passing, but also gave away possession a couple of times ater sloppy first touches. Went off before we really got in trouble. I didn't think he looked particularly tired myself. Hopefully we can keep him on for a litt elonger next time rather than bringing Livermore on.

Lennon 8 - In very good form. Caused them all kinds of problems with his runs on the ball in the first half, and set up Defoe perfectly prior to our second goal. Was also one of our more positive players after the break. Set up a chance for Walker after another great run early on.

Dempsey 7 - Gets an extra half point for his match-winning goal. A slightly better alround performance as well I think. Managed to find room between the lines in the first half and was involved in some decent passing play.

Bale 7,5 - Exceptionally good header for his goal and was always a threat down the left flank in the first half. In the second he understandably disappeared a bit from the game, but at least he managed to take some pressure off us near the end with a couple of forward runs with the ball.

Defoe 6,5 - His finishing was off today, but his movement was good off the ball in the first half. Deserves his part of the credit for our second goal.

Livermore 5,5 - Gave the ball away too cheaply on a few occassions.

Sigurdsson -

Dawson -

Southampton (A) Results

With a win comes a game rating of 6.45, however out of all our wins this is only the second highest rating after the QPR one (6.35). A game of two halves here is a breakdown of the ratings:

Positives
Sandro finally gets his first MOTM performance even though he is our third highest rated player throughout the season (behind Dembele and Vertonghen). He pips Aaron Lennon to it by just 0.03 of a rating.

Huddlestone slightly improves on his previous highest rating of 6.50, which he got way back against Reading with a substitute appearance, with a rating of 6.56.

Negatives
Friedel gets his lowest rating for the second game running, slightly worse than his previous match against Chelsea where he got 5.74 he now got 5.65. With seemingly more people wanting Lloris in goal he needs to up his game soon.

Defoe's last two games have both been sub 5.5 performances, bringing him equal with Kyle Walker on 3 now. Joining them is Livermore who in just 5 appearances has gotten his 3rd sub-5.5. His rating of 4.65 however comes nowhere near the 4.17 he got against Norwich (H).

sCXZ1.jpg

Southampton (A) Results

With a win comes a game rating of 6.45, however out of all our wins this is only the second highest rating after the QPR one (6.35). A game of two halves here is a breakdown of the ratings:

Positives
Sandro finally gets his first MOTM performance even though he is our third highest rated player throughout the season (behind Dembele and Vertonghen). He pips Aaron Lennon to it by just 0.03 of a rating.

Huddlestone slightly improves on his previous highest rating of 6.50, which he got way back against Reading with a substitute appearance, with a rating of 6.56.

Negatives
Friedel gets his lowest rating for the second game running, slightly worse than his previous match against Chelsea where he got 5.74 he now got 5.65. With seemingly more people wanting Lloris in goal he needs to up his game soon.

Defoe's last two games have both been sub 5.5 performances, bringing him equal with Kyle Walker on 3 now. Joining them is Livermore who in just 5 appearances has gotten his 3rd sub-5.5. His rating of 4.65 however comes nowhere near the 4.17 he got against Norwich (H).

sCXZ1.jpg

Good work!!

Southampton (A) Results

Positives

Negatives

sCXZ1.jpg

Wow good work

Southampton (A) Results

Positives

Negatives

sCXZ1.jpg

'on form' Defoe

Back