• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Palace

Thing is he isn't a scape-goat he was in the team as the creative force inbrtween Paulinho and Dembele and the front 3 and he did naff all and moves constantly broke down on him. I would honestly push Dembele further forward and give him creative license and play Paulinho and Capoue behind him rather than witness that kind of display from Sig again. Was it a terrible performance? No but we've moved on from the days when Steed Malbranque was our most creative player. I look at the speed of thought, quick feet and pace and class of those around him in the team and he looks like he's on a lower level. If he doesn't improve he will be sold at the end of this season. I'm not being harsh - it's the reality.

Siggy was the opposite of poor. MOTD pundits were drooling over RVP's technique for his goal. Sigg's effort had the same technique. He was pulling strings and interplaying well.

But, hey ho, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

IMO Sigg will be one of the first names on the team sheet this season.

Lloris - 7 - Did alright, made some decent saves towards the end.

Walker - 7 - Looked good going forward and back, actually linked well with Lennon for once.
Dawson - 6 - few long balls straight out the pitch. Struggled a bit with the aerial balls.
Vertonghen - 6 - Also struggled a bit with the aerial balls.
Rose - 6 - Solid defensively, but on a different wavelength to Chadli.

Paulinho - 7.5 - Looked beastly. hope to see more of him going forward.
Dembele - 7.5 - Also beastly, some good mazy runs.
Siggy - 6 - Should have scored, didn't get involved enough.
Lennon - 7 - Good going forward, hopefully he can keep up this attacking play and he'll get the final ball right on occasion.
Soldado - 7 - Didn't quite come off for him, but he took his penalty well and had good movement.

All in all a good team display. Had a number of chances, hopefully we'll improve our finishing as we go.

Edit: I have forgotten how to spell siggy's name, so i won't try in future.

Last edited:
IMO the way we play and our style can't get the best out of him . To a certain extent he's a kind of player which needs the team to accommodate. He's skillful and got a good pass but don't expect he can sort everything out on his own . Therefore it's also important to those play near him especially the wings and the striker . It looks Soldado can play together with Sig , that chance was started from a good run by soldado and he spotted sig's position probably at the very beginning . But there seems nothing came off from the wings and sig so far . They've got work on this.

Lloris - 7 - Did alright, made some decent saves towards the end.

Walker - 7 - Looked good going forward and back, actually linked well with Lennon for once.
Dawson - 6 - few long balls straight out the pitch. Struggled a bit with the aerial balls.
Vertonghen - 6 - Also struggled a bit with the aerial balls.
Rose - 6 - Solid defensively, but on a different wavelength to Chadli.

Paulinho - 7.5 - Looked beastly. hope to see more of him going forward.
Dembele - 7.5 - Also beastly, some good mazy runs.
Sigurrdsson - 6 - Should have scored, didn't get involved enough.
Lennon - 7 - Good going forward, hopefully he can keep up this attacking play and he'll get the final ball right on occasion.
Soldado - 7 - Didn't quite come off for him, but he took his penalty well and had good movement.

All in all a good team display. Had a number of chances, hopefully we'll improve our finishing as we go.

Could you relay them to me as I must've missed them. Sigurdsson had a chance that he put wide, what else?

Lloris -7- Assured.
Walker -6- Some good forward runs.
Dawson -6- Wayward long passes.
Vert' -6.5- Composed.
Rose -6- Same as Walker.
Lennon -6.5- Full of running as always, final ball selection wasn't great but won a penalty and set up a sitter for Chadli.
Paulinho -6.5- Decent debut.
Dembele -6- Some surging runs and a decent long range shot.
Chadli -6- Should've done better with header at end of first half.
Sig' -5.5- A quality shot in first half, missed sitter to kill off game in the 2nd.
Soldado -6.5- Largely starved of service but still scored the winner with a calmly slotted pen.

Capoue -6.5- Decent debut.
Defoe - 6.5- Full of incisive running against tired defence, shame he didn't score.

Agree with Rossi and DHSF that it weren't a great game to watch but hopefully the new players will gel into a fluid unit soon and we won't struggle to ruthlessly carve open the bottom teams like we did last season.

Could you relay them to me as I must've missed them. Sigurdsson had a chance that he put wide, what else?

Sigurdsson had a chance that he put wide, Chadli had a headed chance before the break that he put wide, Defoe had a chance towards the end and Soldado had 2-3 chances in the box that he couldn't get quite right.

That's 5-6 decent chances, ignoring the long range efforts which were also decent attempts on goal by Dembele and Sigurdsson.

Edit: also a Sigg shot blocked.

Last edited:
Siggy was the opposite of poor. MOTD pundits were drooling over RVP's technique for his goal. Sigg's effort had the same technique. He was pulling strings and interplaying well.

But, hey ho, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

IMO Sigg will be one of the first names on the team sheet this season.

He will be but not because he is one of the best 11 we have but because essentially he is the only one really suited to that role. I would argue that Holtby would be a better bet although Sig strikes me as more of a goal threat.

Desperately need some creativity in that AM spot. I like Sig, I really do scored a few good goals last season. But I would rather we had Krancjar in there instead. We're just a Mata/Cazorla away from really challenging.

Chadli far post header. Defoe one on one. Siggurdsson shot blocked from pull back.

Anyway to my ratings.

Lloris Though he did not have too much to do, he was alert to any through ball and was calm. When called up he made a good save from a deflected shot. (7)
Walker he looked more threatening overlapping that Lennon did all game. Still made a mistake, but his pace and energy is a real asset. (6.5)
Dawson Steady game, looked better in position than normal but was surprised Phillips managed to get in behind him. (6)
Vertonghen Looks so calm on the ball, always seems to pick the right option. And first game after three week layoff as well. (7)
Rose Looked tenacious in the tackle. Got up and down the line well, and did well to cover across for Walker on occasions. Could linke up better with chadli but that is a new combination (7)
Dembele Moves around the pitch so effortlessly, and picks out a pass with ease. But nothing dangerous from him apart from one shot. Just want to see him be a bit more attacking. (6)
Paulinhio Did all the small things very well. Strong in the tackle, good on the ball. He was playing the more defensive role, so looking forward to when he is released more and can get in the box (7.5)
Lennon Frustrated the hell out of me today, got into a lot of good positions and created nothing. Did get the ball for the penalty but that was it. He seems to moan a lot as well. I was desperate for Townsend to replace him at the end (6)
Chadli First half he was a one trick pony. Just cutting in on his right all the time. Then second hald he started to go on the outside and that got the full back guessing. Should have scored from the header. A decent debut (6.5)
Siggy Some decent play, but not spectacular. Should have scored from the pull back from Soldado, had some ok shots. But for me he did not demand the ball enough or do a lot with it when he had it. (6)
Soldado A fairly quiet debut, but his movement was very good and he will score a lot of goals. Was nice to be relaxed at a pentaly knowing we have a player who can put it away. (7)

Subs:

Kaboul Not much time to have any major input. Just nice to see him in the team and on his way back.
Capoue Enjoyed his debut a lot. He looked like he was trying too hard at the start. Then started to get stuck in, looked composed on the ball and good at breaking up the opposition. Like him a lot from that cameo (7)

my MOM: Paulinhio

Comments:

Thought we should have pushed on more once we was ahead. would be nice to get 2 up and really punish them. Thought Lennon should have been replaced by Townsend. Good decision to bring on Kaboul and have a lot of height at the back for Palaces longer onslaught towards the end.

8' Attempt missed. Roberto Soldado (Tottenham Hotspur) header from the centre of the box is high and wide to the left. Assisted by Danny Rose with a cross.

13' Mousa Dembélé (Tottenham Hotspur) hits the bar with a left footed shot from outside the box. Assisted by Aaron Lennon.

21' Attempt missed. Roberto Soldado (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from the left side of the box is too high. Assisted by Gylfi Sigurdsson with a cross following a set piece situation.

24' Attempt missed. Michael Dawson (Tottenham Hotspur) header from the centre of the box is close, but misses to the left. Assisted by Gylfi Sigurdsson with a cross following a corner.

29' Attempt blocked. Nacer Chadli (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from outside the box is blocked. Assisted by Michael Dawson.

35' Attempt saved. Gylfi Sigurdsson (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from outside the box is saved in the top centre of the goal.

40' Attempt saved. Roberto Soldado (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from the right side of the six yard box is saved in the centre of the goal. Assisted by Aaron Lennon.

45'+4' Attempt missed. Nacer Chadli (Tottenham Hotspur) header from the left side of the six yard box is too high. Assisted by Aaron Lennon with a cross.

48' Attempt blocked. Gylfi Sigurdsson (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from outside the box is blocked. Assisted by Roberto Soldado.

48' Attempt missed. Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from outside the box misses to the left. Assisted by Nacer Chadli.

61' Attempt missed. Etienne Capoue (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from outside the box is too high. Assisted by Roberto Soldado.

69' Attempt missed. Gylfi Sigurdsson (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from the centre of the box is close, but misses to the left. Assisted by Roberto Soldado.

72' Attempt missed. Nacer Chadli (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from outside the box misses to the right. Assisted by Danny Rose.

77' Attempt missed. Paulinho (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from outside the box is close, but misses to the left following a corner.

80' Attempt missed. Nacer Chadli (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from outside the box is close, but misses to the left. Assisted by Roberto Soldado following a fast break.

87' Attempt blocked. Gylfi Sigurdsson (Tottenham Hotspur) left footed shot from the centre of the box is blocked. Assisted by Nacer Chadli.

88' Attempt missed. Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur) right footed shot from the centre of the box is close, but misses to the left. Assisted by Nacer Chadli.

Lloris -8- Fantastic shot stopping reactions as well as anticipation at the edge and even outside the penalty box
Walker -7- Keeps on giving. What he lacks in quality, he makes up with quantity in heart, passion and drive
Dawson -6 - would have given a 5 for those misplaced hollywood passes, but in the end he did well with Verts and kept them out
Verts - 8 - Not just stopping and clearing, but cleaning up the mess and even initiating the counter attack. If we don't get CL this guy will be the next Bale!
Rose - 7 - excellent game for Rose. With Chandli not defending much he had a lot of involvement both upfront and at the back. Can and will get better.
Lennon -6- Have mixed feelings about today's performance. Won a penalty but that was by chance.
Paulinho -7 - Got around and put his foot in where it mattered. Movement was good but needs time to gel with team.
Dembele -8- very good in defence and in attack. strong and took everything in his stride.
Chadli -7 - good game, very attack minded and can only get better. Needs to help in defence more/
Sig' -6- Covered a lot of ground and had to cover for Chadli particularly, should have scored.
Soldado -8- Lots of good runs alas lacking service. Did his fare share of defending too. Excellent penatly. Can and will get better.

Capoue -7 - lots of great tackles and interceptions. Can and will get better.
Defoe - 7- Caused defenders a lot of problems by always being a threat and holding up play well when he's not. Hope he stays with us as a supersub till the end of his career.

New Spurs performance with midfield that just reeks power...players need to gel and our new imports can only get better. Worrying signs for our home grown boys, who are just a few notches below their foreign counterparts, and risk being sidelined. But our new signings have demonstrated their worth, and it can only get better from here.

Lloris - 7.5 (in command of his area and some imporatant saves)
Walker - 7 (worked very very hard - made some great through balls)
Rose - 6.5 (I'm a BAE fan but Rose worked very hard and I like the fact he's no pussy, still young and time to grow)
Dawson - 6 (lovely guy but starting to revert back to the long ball attempt, improved second half)
Verts - 7 (Superjan... So composed - seemed to limp late in the game, hope he's okay)
Azza - 6.5 (a bit one dimensional and now predictable. He worked best when he decided to cut inside, perhaps with Walker being Offensive we are starting to see the Glen Johnson affect again)
Nacer - 6.5 (there is something there and perhaps we'll see it eventually, has the confidence to shoot at least. Reminded me of Adel at points for some reason...)
Paulinho - 7 (worked hard but started to flag in the last 15 mins. I think he's a player that will justify himself more to those watching in the stands than on tv)
Dembele - 6.5 (has so much ability but doesn't always seem to fit into the gameplan)
Siggi - 6.5 (I like him - he'd be perfect at a team like Everton. Worked hard today but tried too much at times. If AVB works well with him on the training ground then we could have a player like Gerrard)
Soldado - 7 (Not selfish, works hard, great confidence... just needs a Berbatov type next to him IMO. Lovely pen)

Subs:

Capoue - 7 (What can I say, big man, good brain - one step ahead when the ball came to him)
J.D 6.5 (not much time to impress, but always a goal waiting)

I didn't think Lloris was our MOM by the way - whagwan with that???

this.

I´m not agreeing because I am biased but he had a good game. He missed a sitter but if he would have scored he would have been MOTM. He was technically superb, always on the ball, handful of sublime touches and was our most creative player today.

I thought Sig was excellent, other than his finishing

He was involved all over the pitch and thought him, soldado and Lennon had a couple of moments of great understanding

Sigurdsson had a chance that he put wide, Chadli had a headed chance before the break that he put wide, Defoe had a chance towards the end and Soldado had 2-3 chances in the box that he couldn't get quite right.

That's 5-6 decent chances, ignoring the long range efforts which were also decent attempts on goal by Dembele and Sigurdsson.

Edit: also a Sigg shot blocked.

Chadli's was a half chance. Defoe made his own chance, it wasn't created for him. None of Soldado's were real chances. We have a lot of attempts at goal but we don't create many chances, not in my eyes.

Lloris - 7.5
Walker - 7
Dawson - 6.5
Vertonghen - 7
Rose - 6.5
Paulinho - 6.5
Dembele - 7
Lennon - 7
Siggy - 6.5
Chadli - 6.5
Soldado - 6.5

Capoue - 7.5
Defoe - 6.5

All in all, decent performance highlighting what we already knew our issues are/were; Creativity. Having said that we created at least 4 glorious chance to score. So chances are there, and as much as Sky talked up Palace's chances, they had very very little to encourage them.
Lennon was spritely and I thought he done well, whilst he was wasteful. However he isn't just smashing it in the box now but trying to pick out someone. Didn't work today but didn't go hiding which is good.
Walker was pretty good today, but still has a stupid streak in him.
Siggy was ok, involved but I still want to see more from him in his favoured position. A lot of onus on him to create.

Paulinho, Chadli were ok. Nothing spectacular at all, hope they will improve a fair bit. Soldado is like Defoe with better movement.
Capoue was excellent. Really impressed with him.

A word for Defoe too, thought if he had scored today it would have been a lovely little cameo. Looked decent, should have scored.

Positive start still. COYS

Thing is he isn't a scape-goat he was in the team as the creative force inbrtween Paulinho and Dembele and the front 3 and he did naff all and moves constantly broke down on him. I would honestly push Dembele further forward and give him creative license and play Paulinho and Capoue behind him rather than witness that kind of display from Sig again. Was it a terrible performance? No but we've moved on from the days when Steed Malbranque was our most creative player. I look at the speed of thought, quick feet and pace and class of those around him in the team and he looks like he's on a lower level. If he doesn't improve he will be sold at the end of this season. I'm not being harsh - it's the reality.

Disagree. For all his technique, Dembele is about the least creative player in our squad.

Lloris - 7.5
Walker - 7
Dawson - 6.5
Vertonghen - 7
Rose - 6.5
Paulinho - 6.5
Dembele - 7
Lennon - 7
Siggy - 6.5
Chadli - 6.5
Soldado - 6.5

Capoue - 7.5
Defoe - 6.5

All in all, decent performance highlighting what we already knew our issues are/were; Creativity. Having said that we created at least 4 glorious chance to score. So chances are there, and as much as Sky talked up Palace's chances, they had very very little to encourage them.
Lennon was spritely and I thought he done well, whilst he was wasteful. However he isn't just smashing it in the box now but trying to pick out someone. Didn't work today but didn't go hiding which is good.
Walker was pretty good today, but still has a stupid streak in him.
Siggy was ok, involved but I still want to see more from him in his favoured position. A lot of onus on him to create.

Paulinho, Chadli were ok. Nothing spectacular at all, hope they will improve a fair bit. Soldado is like Defoe with better movement.
Capoue was excellent. Really impressed with him.

A word for Defoe too, thought if he had scored today it would have been a lovely little cameo. Looked decent, should have scored.

Positive start still. COYS

Tbh even I wouldn't be upset if Defoe's role this season is explosive 8 minutes cameos like that.

Soldado was like going back to the Klinsmann days though. A forward with movement, smart link up play, intelligence. Hopefully the start of very bright things.

Klinsmann had Anderton, Barmby and Sheringham supplying him. Soldado doesn't have anywhere near the supply line Klinsmann did so he's going to be feeding off scraps unless we buy 1 or 2 creative players.

I'm also going to defend Siggurdson. While not all of his touches came off, I think people underrate that this was his first game ever with 2 of the other front three players (Soldado, Chadli) and also Paulinho and Capoue. Just as I think that we should give our new signings some time to bed in, we also have to give our old players some time to get used to the new ones, especially the creative ones. If you've ever played as an attacking player, no matter what level, it's tough to play with new players for the first few games, b/c you don't gain the understanding of them overnight. Siggurdson played some good stuff, had two near misses (one he should have finished, one a brilliant save), and ran his nuts off. Also, though Palace is hardly Real Madrid, Jadenek (sp?) is a good central midfielder who will do well in the Prem, imo.

As far as other players, I thought Paulinho was class and MOTM. Full of power and running and absolutely everywhere. Thought Azza got into some great positions, and though the final ball was frustrating at times, he showed a good understanding w/ Soldado and Walker as well. Though Walker and Rose make me a bit nervous, thought they acquitted themselves well. We'll see how well they do against a stronger attack. Capoue looks a beast, and I was pleasantly surprised w/ Chadli.

Should have killed the game off, but I'm happy with the win. We'll need these kind of games if we want to finish Top 4. Could be a special season. COYS.

Back