• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Norwich

Mate, where you there? I was.
It was bloody clueless. We genuinely look like a team devoid of ideas.

I was very pro AVB when he came in, but am already doubting his ability. Defoe was awful.

it's been 3 games and already you're changing your opinion? Jesus man give it some time - we have a team that is now without 3 of it's best players from last season (4 if you include Parker) we have made 3 new signings in the last couple of days that haven't had time to work with the rest of the team, we are changing from a side which had little tactical restraint to one where we are expected to play as part of particular tactic/system - it is going to take time for things to click in to place, it's a shame that's the case but it is - don't judge the manager on the first 3 games because that is no time frame to measure where we are going

Dont want to single one person out however, as I've been saying for months and been repeatedly shot down for, Livermore isnt close to being a pL player and will end up in league 1. Cant pass, cant tackle, cant shoot. Has heart, size and work-rate however if someone is 20 then its too late to teach them the basics

However most of the blame for today should lie with AVB. Defoe up top on his own makes no sense nor does two defensive midfielders

Just hope that the new guys bed in quickly. Still think we can get 4th as Arse arent appearing great at the moment either

Didnt see the game, but would have to agree with this comment. We still have 5/6 players to come in so this cant really be judged as our first team. Lloris, Kaboul, Ade (to start), Dembele (to start), Parker and Dempsey. Keep the faith.

Didnt see the game, but would have to agree with this comment. We still have 5/6 players to come in so this cant really be judged as our first team. Lloris, Kaboul, Ade (to start), Dembele (to start), Parker and Dempsey. Keep the faith.

This is logic I don't fully understand because surely the first XI's we did put out should be good enough to beat WBA/Norwich at home? There can't be many Norwich/WBA players we'd have in front of our players that were chosen in our team for example.

Also another counter argument is if we didn't have our full availability of players then why revolutionise the tactics now? Why not play 4-4-x like last season until everyone was available as its a formation existing personnel know?

Finally the players you've mentioned. You've mentioned 6. Parker won't be in the first team under AVB IMHO and loads of GG posters wanted him out during the course of last season, let alone have him in the side this season. For Dempsey/Dembele to start surely that means another new signing (Sigurdsson and/or Ade) will miss out? It's well known I don't rate Kaboul (Dawson, Verts and Gallas all ahead of him in the pecking order IMHO) and I am extremely worried about him in a high line. Lloris? Can't really see what Friedel as done wrong.

Basically AFAIC yesterday was our strongest team with the exception of Ade up top and Dembele replacing Livermore in the centre of midfield and yes, I am worried.

Interesting that people are finally starting to think my way about Walker. Especially considering the personal abuse I took on this forum early last season for daring to suggest Walker wasn't a good defender.

Apart from being a thug, he reminds me a lot of Hutton in the way he plays.

This is logic I don't fully understand because surely the first XI's we did put out should be good enough to beat WBA/Norwich at home? There can't be many Norwich/WBA players we'd have in front of our players that were chosen in our team for example.

Also another counter argument is if we didn't have our full availability of players then why revolutionise the tactics now? Why not play 4-4-x like last season until everyone was available as its a formation existing personnel know?

Finally the players you've mentioned. You've mentioned 6. Parker won't be in the first team under AVB IMHO and loads of GG posters wanted him out during the course of last season, let alone have him in the side this season. For Dempsey/Dembele to start surely that means another new signing (Sigurdsson and/or Ade) will miss out? It's well known I don't rate Kaboul (Dawson, Verts and Gallas all ahead of him in the pecking order IMHO) and I am extremely worried about him in a high line. Lloris? Can't really see what Friedel as done wrong.

Basically AFAIC yesterday was our strongest team with the exception of Ade up top and Dembele replacing Livermore in the centre of midfield and yes, I am worried.

one word. Transition. We are in transition as a team. You have to accept that fact. There were plenty of crap performances last year - norwich and wolves at home, QPR, Sunderland, Villa (away), which according to your logic we should have won with the team we had out there. We didnt. We have a new manager and five new players. Get used to it and get behind it. Dont keep harking back to the past.

Our full first team with all players fit and playing in a recognised formation will still be a good side this season. It may take some time to bed in but it will happen. Also, we may start scoring from corners and freekicks. Now wouldnt that be a bonus.

Apart from being a thug, he reminds me a lot of Hutton in the way he plays.

he had a horrible game, and has been very bad from the start of the season. Last season I thought that we could have another Bale in our hands, but so far this season the only thing he is showing is lack of ambition and intent

Friedel 8
Walker 4
Gallas 5
Vertonghen 5
Assou-Ekotto 6
Sandro 6
Livermore 4
Lennon 5
Sigurðsson 5
Bale 5
Defoe 4

Dembélé 7
Huddlestone 4
Adebayor 6

Special mentions for Friedel, without whom we'd likely have been on the end of a 3- or 4-1 reverse, and Dembélé—an impressive debut amidst the rumblings of discontent. As for the rest, must do better.​

one word. Transition. We are in transition as a team. You have to accept that fact. There were plenty of crap performances last year - norwich and wolves at home, QPR, Sunderland, Villa (away), which according to your logic we should have won with the team we had out there. We didnt. We have a new manager and five new players. Get used to it and get behind it. Dont keep harking back to the past.

Our full first team with all players fit and playing in a recognised formation will still be a good side this season. It may take some time to bed in but it will happen. Also, we may start scoring from corners and freekicks. Now wouldnt that be a bonus.

Don't really agree with much of that tbh. QPR, Sunderland and Villa away for example we were the better team. But even if we weren't, we were away. It's the HOME factor that's important. A draw against Norwich and WBA away from home is a good result. At home, it's a poor result.....regardless of "transition".

Wow im really surprised at Verts' ratings - i was at the game and thought he was very good.

Anyway keep the faith guys.....

Having been to our first three games and read this forum in the last 24 hours, I forgot to add a rating:

"Some" of our fans: -5

WTF has happened to some of you, get behind the team and stop bl**dy whinging FFS.

Having been to our first three games and read this forum in the last 24 hours, I forgot to add a rating:

"Some" of our fans: -5

WTF has happened to some of you, get behind the team and stop bl**dy whinging FFS.

There is good reason for that mate. A lot of us have been through false dawn after false dawn. then we tasted success albeit short lived with Harry so we want more. It is difficult to stomach yet another season where we are struggling and falling behind or going through a "transition." Why should we be going through a transition? We have a pretty good squad not like the dross of the nineties. The only reason for a transition is we have a manager who is obsessed with a system of play which is in itself a huge gamble. I'm afraid the early signs for AVB are not good. I will still support him and I am desparate for him to do well but I have a gut feelingthis project will not work out.

There is good reason for that mate. A lot of us have been through false dawn after false dawn. then we tasted success albeit short lived with Harry so we want more. It is difficult to stomach yet another season where we are struggling and falling behind or going through a "transition." Why should we be going through a transition? We have a pretty good squad not like the dross of the nineties. The only reason for a transition is we have a manager who is obsessed with a system of play which is in itself a huge gamble. I'm afraid the early signs for AVB are not good. I will still support him and I am desparate for him to do well but I have a gut feelingthis project will not work out.

Try going into school on the Monday morning after the team you love has just been relegated!

he had a horrible game, and has been very bad from the start of the season. Last season I thought that we could have another Bale in our hands, but so far this season the only thing he is showing is lack of ambition and intent

I think the thug comment and hutton comparison is below the belt. He is still a raw talent. With good coaching, the right team structure, and lots of hard work and development, Walker could be one of Englands best. He has the attributes and the right attitude to achieve this. He knows he needs to work on his game. But he needs good management as well. hutton he is not.

I think the thug comment and hutton comparison is below the belt. He is still a raw talent. With good coaching, the right team structure, and lots of hard work and development, Walker could be one of Englands best. He has the attributes and the right attitude to achieve this. He knows he needs to work on his game. But he needs good management as well. hutton he is not.

Hutton is the thug. Walker's game is very similar, can run, but 99 out of a hundred crosses go nowhere near their target.

I thought he actually had a decent moment or two yesterday.

The one i remember was picking up the ball around the edge of our box and going on a long mazy run diagonally across the field past everyone who tried to take him. Partly because nobody made themselves available along the way.

it's been 3 games and already you're changing your opinion? Jesus man give it some time - we have a team that is now without 3 of it's best players from last season (4 if you include Parker) we have made 3 new signings in the last couple of days that haven't had time to work with the rest of the team, we are changing from a side which had little tactical restraint to one where we are expected to play as part of particular tactic/system - it is going to take time for things to click in to place, it's a shame that's the case but it is - don't judge the manager on the first 3 games because that is no time frame to measure where we are going

If you read my posts since that one, you'll see I've calmed down a lot.

I made that post while in a very dissappointed mood, on a bumpy train, on my phone. And with a belly of beer. Not the best combination.

It was born of sheer frustration, nothing more.

Hutton is the thug. Walker's game is very similar, can run, but 99 out of a hundred crosses go nowhere near their target.

Agree - I really don't see a huge difference between the two in terms of style and execution. It's all based around the physical, with the technical side really lacking.

I miss Corluka's slide rule passes into Lennon.

Whoa the Walker stuff is out of order. He is 22 years old with one full season for us he needs and experience to learn his trade? I am much more concerned with our centre backs tbh they have looked shaky in the last 2 games. See Vertongen lose his man for the header which brought out a wonder save from friedel?I saw occasions yesterday where he was just standing and watching in the box. Gallas looks old and tired. Benny who I would normally rate looked ropey in both games.

Back