• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings/Thoughts vs. Fulham

Just a comment on Paulinho...

Almost every pass he received he just knocked back to the original passer, almost all seemed to be wall passes.

There was one he received from Kaboul in the first half, he wasn't even on the half turn, didn't try and make anything of it, just knocked it straight back to Kaboul.

There was space over his right shoulder that he could have easily moved into. The sort of space that Modric would have just let the ball run across his body and moved on into, not even needing to take a touch.

There seems to be no vision with Paulinho. Probably down to lack of confidence... There must be a player in there but I'm struggling to see it.

There really isnt. You cant turn on/off the ability to see space and a pass depending on form.
Years later a player with that vision can still see where the ball should be played, its not something you lose when the physical/technical side of your game goes.

There really isnt. You cant turn on/off the ability to see space and a pass depending on form.
Years later a player with that vision can still see where the ball should be played, its not something you lose when the physical/technical side of your game goes.

That ability to see space is affected by the speed of the play though. Paulinho is still finding his feet with the league and this team of strangers so perhaps he's playing with a bit more caution.

Also considering the lack of protection behind him on top of our leaky defence, him giving the ball away by playing more adventurous passes could be very risky.

I think he's playing within himself at the moment, hopefully he will play with more freedom and confidence in the near future.

I saw enough of our Paulinho against Man Utd, Stoke and crystal palace to know there is a good player in there somewhere. He seemed to be played in different positions in each one of those games however.

I'm not a Paulinho fan and I'm quite sure he's nowhere near as good as advertised but I'd say until he's given a decent run in a 433 with a DM and a passer alongside him(so Sandro and Eriksen) then it's not terribly fair to completely write him off, that's the system that would get the best out of him. I like the idea of Sandro sitting, Eriksen running things and Paulinho breaking box to box but whether it would actually work in practice or not I don't know.

Lloris - 9 - Brilliant goalkeeping display, even forgetting the save for the pen (which was a poorly taken kick)

Naughton, Kaboul, Fryers, Rose - 4 - We spent over £100m in the summer and have a Championship standard defence. That is criminal. Our attack and midfield look strong. We've scored the 7th highest number of goals in the league and yet have a goal difference of only +2. That says all you need to know. We do not have a single defender other than Walker that would get near the first XI of the top 6 IMO.

Lennon - 6 - About par performance from Aaron, not so anonymous.
Chadli - 6 - Neat and tidy, but to be honest, I don't understand why we bought him, unless it was as a utility player to fill in the forward and attacking midfield positions.
Paulinho - 6 - Better work rate, but still pretty poor on the ball. An 'industrious' performance, rather than one of any quality.
Eriksen - 9 - MOTM - Finally, our attacking set pieces are actually something to be feared by the opposition, rather than an opportunity for them to draw breath. Brilliant delivery from open play and dead balls. Just a quality player shining in a poor team. Imagine what he could do in a cohesive unit?

Ade - 4 - On the beach already.
Kane - 7 - Its sad that an overlooked youth team product shows 100 times more in his 3 starts than our £26m summer striking signing shows all season.

We have done that 8 times under Sherwood, just like we did a total of 8 times last season.

just quickly checked last season in the prem we only done that 7 times and none this season under AVB. Sherwood has done it 8 times in 19 games (didnt check that though)? that does say quite a bit... still should watch what he says though.

just quickly checked last season in the prem we only done that 7 times and none this season under AVB. Sherwood has done it 8 times in 19 games (didnt check that though)? that does say quite a bit... still should watch what he says though.

Last season:

Aston Villa (A) 4-0
Fulham (A) 3-0
Emirates Marketing Project (H) 3-1
Reading (H) 3-1
Reading (A) 3-1
West Ham (H) 3-1
West Ham (A) 3-2
Man Utd (A) 3-2

This season:

Sunderland (H) 5-1
Saudi Sportswashing Machine (A) 4-0
Stoke (H) 3-0
Swansea (A) 3-1
Fulham (H) 3-1
Southampton (H) 3-2
Southampton (A) 3-2
West Brom (A) 3-3

I'm not a Paulinho fan and I'm quite sure he's nowhere near as good as advertised but I'd say until he's given a decent run in a 433 with a DM and a passer alongside him(so Sandro and Eriksen) then it's not terribly fair to completely write him off, that's the system that would get the best out of him. I like the idea of Sandro sitting, Eriksen running things and Paulinho breaking box to box but whether it would actually work in practice or not I don't know.

I agree with you, although I didn't actually watch the Fulham game.

Ramires has made himself a vital part of Chelsea I think. If he had been in our squad this season instead of Paulinho, asked to play the same role(s), I think he would have done no better and possibly worse.

Like with Chelsea though I think you need one more "passer" in that central 3. Too much responsibility to put on Eriksen alone, a player who himself will be better when breaking forward into the final third. Why Chelsea went for Matic i think, a player with way more passing ability than Sandro.

Back