• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rating out of 10 for the window?

Rating out of 10 for the window is...

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 7.1%

Votes: 14 16.5%

Votes: 40 47.1%

Votes: 22 25.9%

Votes: 2 2.4%

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
And you really believe that Ings would have come here to spend most of his time sat on the bench.

the point is 70 million figure isn’t true

Wasn’t the plan to play 2 up front?

How do other clubs manage to have more than 1 striker on the books?

the point is 70 million figure isn’t true

Wasn’t the plan to play 2 up front?

How do other clubs manage to have more than 1 striker on the books?

No idea if the plan was to play 2 up front, doubt it though.

Probably because they do not have a first chioce who is world class, meaning the back up striker is unlikely to get the number of games he would want. Go ask Soldado, Jansenn, and others if they were happy to be back up and hardly getting a game.

Probably because they do not have a first chioce who is world class, meaning the back up striker is unlikely to get the number of games he would want. Go ask Soldado, Jansenn, and others if they were happy to be back up and hardly getting a game.

Janssen played 37 times in his first season with the club, he didn’t take his chances.

Janssen played 37 times in his first season with the club, he didn’t take his chances.

Still does not change the fact that very few ( if any) decent striker is going to come here and get splinters in his arse waiting for Kane to get injured/rested.

Is it? We're probably only going to play with one striker up top. That's kane. Scarlett for conference league. Son backup. Was spending £70m on a backup striker ever on the cards if kane stayed? I doubt it.

No - but the Celtic striker who Palace bought could have been a decent option at the price he was sold; especially if we could have used CCV as a makeweight....

Still does not change the fact that very few ( if any) decent striker is going to come here and get splinters in his arse waiting for Kane to get injured/rested.

how do other clubs manage to sign back up strikers?

Palace signed a decent young striker today for 15 million

37 games is a good number of games.

We don’t have a LWF in the class of Son, he’s not the only one at the club though and we find his backups palatable enough to make him the first alternative to Kane.
Kane looks very likely to be off next season, I doubt we’d be looking to sign one striker to replace him so an alternative now would have the added incentive of proving themselves a potential replacement this season. I’m not asking to have a 70m bench warmer, just an alternative, especially now we don’t have to worry about pandering to him by never subbing or dropping him as that wasn’t enough to stop him seeking pastures new.

Leicester managed to get another backup to Vardy which is a very recent example I can think of a player who starts most games and is considered a club legend, albeit coming to the end of his time and they already had a couple of alternatives.

Last edited:
how do other clubs manage to sign back up strikers?

Palace signed a decent young striker today for 15 million

37 games is a good number of games.

As i said earlier the vast majority of clubs do not have a world class striker ( Kane), and so any back up to Kane can see that they will not get many games to play.

As i said earlier the vast majority of clubs do not have a world class striker ( Kane), and so any back up to Kane can see that they will not get many games to play.

World class players still get rotated - Kane should be able to be dropped/subbed when needed

We don’t have a LWF in the class of Son, he’s not the only one at the club though and we find his backups palatable enough to make him the first alternative to Kane.
Kane looks very likely to be off next season, I doubt we’d be looking to sign one striker to replace him so an alternative now would have the added incentive of proving themselves a potential replacement this season. I’m not asking to have a 70m bench warmer, just an alternative, especially now we don’t have to worry about pandering to him by never subbing or dropping him as that wasn’t enough to stop him seeking pastures new.

Leicester managed to get another backup to Vardy which is a very recent example I can think of a player who starts most games and is considered a club legend albeit coming to the end of his time and they seedy had a couple of alternatives.

As i said before we have had plenty of alternatives for Kane, do you think they were happy spending most of their time sitting on the bench because even if we went for him them that is what any player coming in would have to face. That is why i never thought Ings would come here if we had gone in for him like some wanted us to do.

No idea. We bought 5 players I haven't really seen play yet.

But have any of our summer windows been that good since Poch came in?

2014 Stambouli, Fazio, Yedlin, Dier, Davies, Vorm
2015 Wimmer, Trippier, N'Jie, Alderweireld, Son
2016 Wanyama, Jansseen, N'Koudou, Sissoko
2017 Gazzzaniga, Sanchez, Foyth, Aurier, Llorente
Clarke, Ndombele, Sessegnon, LoCelso
2020 Hojbjerg, Hart, Doherty, Bale, Reguilon, Rodon.

The 2015 window is easily the best of that bad lot. It's just a list of player that never broke through into the first team.

We have 12 players that have started in the league this season. Of that 12 only 5 are in the above list.

Isn’t that what happens at other football clubs?

We'd do well to get a backup striker of quality. Ings is 29, had an injury ravaged career and I'm sure has England aspirations. He has no interest in sitting on the bench. I'm struggling to think of a decent side who has signed a striker of any quality who knew they'd be a backup. Maybe Jota at Liverpool although he has 3 spots he can fight for. Maybe I'm missing someone obvious?

Well that’s on how the manager sells the club / role then

Id even take someone like Mitrovic for a back / Plan B

The manager can sell anything he wants i guess, but players can see what they are up against trying to get games over Kane and they only have to see how our other back ups have got on.

As i said before we have had plenty of alternatives for Kane, do you think they were happy spending most of their time sitting on the bench because even if we went for him them that is what any player coming in would have to face. That is why i never thought Ings would come here if we had gone in for him like some wanted us to do.
How did we sign a backup to Lloris then? How did Leicester convince Daka to join them with Vardy Perez and Inheacho all in the mix? As I said circumstances have changed, Kane looks likely to be going next season so the ‘sell’ is easier than before. There are backup strikers at smaller clubs surely they’d consider swapping the quality of their splinters for a shot at the big time?

Last edited:
Back