• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Raspberry Pi

scotty220

Matthew Etherington
Anyone bought one/had any experience with one? Just ordered one to arrive next week, hoping to use it as a portable media player with XBMC on it.

I tried that. It only accelerates x.264 so as long as your files are in that format, great.

Yeah that's mainly what I use. Have you tired putting MAME or any other arcade simulator on it? Also which OS did you go for?

http://www.raspbmc.com/download/

Looks like in the last month they've sorted Mpeg2 and VC-1 decoding so I might need to shake the dust off it and try again.

Only really wanted it as an extender to my PVR so just unplugged it and chucked it in my parts box when it wouldn't play Mpeg2

Ordered one months ago

Still hasn't arrived

Chap at work ordered a couple ages ago as well, I don't think he's had his yet either.

I don't get what the fascination is with these, at some point you're just going to get annoyed with how slow/powerless/limited it is and stop using it, aren't you?

Chap at work ordered a couple ages ago as well, I don't think he's had his yet either.

I don't get what the fascination is with these, at some point you're just going to get annoyed with how slow/powerless/limited it is and stop using it, aren't you?

The fascination is twofold for me.

1) I know my way around linux distros well enough to install what's required but that's about it. I want to learn more but use all the PCs I own for day to day stuff so I don't want to buy one. The pi is £20 - I don't mind spending that for a spare PC

2) I want a PVR/music/video client attached to my TV in the bedroom. The TV is wall mounted and there's no space around it for a PC. Not only is the pi 1/10th-1/20th the price of anything else that will do the job, it's also small enough to attach to the wall mount bracket behind the TV and runs off the USB socket on the TV for power. If you have a PC with a media collection and a couple of TV cards it's the most simple, cheap and elegant solution out there.

Farnell are the sole distributor so they will obviously look after their customers before supplying RS.

RS finally delivered mine

So interested to hear what you guys are doing with yours

Scara - have you turned it into a bedroom media hub?

Back