• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Racism on this forum

All of which is not what started this thread, it was name calling and how some collapse under it ( or not). The things you add on to that are completely different.

We have all been called names during our life ( or at least i have not come across anyone who has not) and its not the end of the world, it just seems to me in todays world that there seems to be a rush to be offended rather then ignore what some brain dead macaron is calling you.

It runs a lot deeper that that. There is correlation to people's words and the things that the person you are quoting is talking about.

By singling out a group for abuse you are dehumanising them. You are making them lesser than you. If they are lesser than you why should they have the same rights?

Not saying you make that jump, but there are those who will make that jump, and the words we choose has an influence on their self justifications. That's how fascist flourish.

Take Scara for an example, some think he is a bit of a d ick. But even those that do, would say that he is reasonably intelligent and professes to be quite sucessful. He is at least on this board (but maybe in real life as well) an ''influencer". Him expressing views that single out any particular group for abuse could have very real world physical implications for members of that group. As people may use his words to shape or at least reinforce their racist attitudes and or /actions

In short words matter.

The only person I've ever met who has gone out of their way to highlight a line between 'culture/ religion' and 'race' was an EDL member trying to justify the fact that he's not against Arabs, he's just against the implementation of Sharia Law in this country...

The only other people I've spoken to online have again been EDL and BNP members, who refuted the fact they were racist and said they are culturalist. They don't hate people because of their skin color, they do so because they are Muslim.

I think that tells you all you need to know.

The fact Scara would not be out of place in their company should be enough to make Scara realise he's being a fudging idiot.

It doesn't reflect good on the club to opposition fans, perhaps curious as to what we're like or what our reasons behind the continuing use of the Y word are. Then they see Scara in 'General Football' talking about peadophiles, pig fudgers, bombers and the like!

If you call a Muslim an anti-semite because their words or actions warrant that then that seems a quite reasonable state of affairs. However, if you him a bomber, then that makes you no better than him.
I think there's an important distinction - at least one that makes me comfortable that I've made a moral judgement.

In being anti-Semitic, he is choosing to discriminate against someone because of something they are unable to control, just like skin colour, gender, age, disability, etc. I'm discriminating against his choice - he chooses to be Muslim, just like he chooses to be an anti-Semitic clam. I feel perfectly comfortable in ridiculing his choices but not what he cannot control.

If I'm reading this right Scara, and I haven't gone into it in too much detail, you're calling Salah a bomber because he's a Muslim. Correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm not, that's not right and Stephen was right to call it out. I hate Liverpool and Salah (the footballer) as much as the next man but, fudge me, you can't resort to that sort of stuff.

This is a great forum, there are really good people on it. Much better than Spurs Community and most other football forums. Let's not f**k it up by posting this sort of sh!t on it. I find you entertaining most of the time but this crosses a line.
Yes I have. If you read the post above this one you'll see why race is off limits but religion isn't.

It runs a lot deeper that that. There is correlation to people's words and the things that the person you are quoting is talking about.

By singling out a group for abuse you are dehumanising them. You are making them lesser than you. If they are lesser than you why should they have the same rights?

Not saying you make that jump, but there are those who will make that jump, and the words we choose has an influence on their self justifications. That's how fascist flourish.

Take Scara for an example, some think he is a bit of a d ick. But even those that do, would say that he is reasonably intelligent and professes to be quite sucessful. He is at least on this board (but maybe in real life as well) an ''influencer". Him expressing views that single out any particular group for abuse could have very real world physical implications for members of that group. As people may use his words to shape or at least reinforce their racist attitudes and or /actions

In short words matter.
If my words damage the insidious spread of religion even a tiny amount then I will have been more successful than either you or I believe.

Not particularly surprised unfortunately and a big part of the reason I almost never post on random (and very rarely the board in general) anymore.

Such a shame.

The only person I've ever met who has gone out of their way to highlight a line between 'culture/ religion' and 'race' was an EDL member trying to justify the fact that he's not against Arabs, he's just against the implementation of Sharia Law in this country...

The only other people I've spoken to online have again been EDL and BNP members, who refuted the fact they were racist and said they are culturalist. They don't hate people because of their skin color, they do so because they are Muslim.

I think that tells you all you need to know.

The fact Scara would not be out of place in their company should be enough to make Scara realise he's being a fudging idiot.

It doesn't reflect good on the club to opposition fans, perhaps curious as to what we're like or what our reasons behind the continuing use of the Y word are. Then they see Scara in 'General Football' talking about peadophiles, pig fudgers, bombers and the like!
Woohoo! I've never been a straw man before.

If my words damage the insidious spread of religion even a tiny amount then I will have been more successful than either you or I believe.

You completely miss the point, I suspect purposefully. Your words help the insidious spread of Fascism.

I agree with dza I miss Hootnows posts, but with the racism thing it is hard for me to know what is racist, seeing as I have been accused of being racist just for voting for a form of self governance.

Personally I would not have called Salah that, for a couple of reasons, to me he is actually a very good footballer bit of a diving prick but we have a few of those at our own club. I do like the idea of belittling religion though. Feel that religion is so stupid it should be mocked, all of them.

I would never want to be racist or offend anyone and maybe the tone of Scara was over the line, but the whole racist thing has become a bit devalued in my eyes when you can throw that term at anyone these days, particularly if they just happen to vote for a different form of governance to you.

I agree with dza I miss Hootnows posts, but with the racism thing it is hard for me to know what is racist, seeing as I have been accused of being racist just for voting for a form of self governance.

Personally I would not have called Salah that, for a couple of reasons, to me he is actually a very good footballer bit of a diving prick but we have a few of those at our own club. I do like the idea of belittling religion though. Feel that religion is so stupid it should be mocked, all of them.

I would never want to be racist or offend anyone and maybe the tone of Scara was over the line, but the whole racist thing has become a bit devalued in my eyes when you can throw that term at anyone these days, particularly if they just happen to vote for a different form of governance to you.

You’re not racist for voting for Brexit. But why equate it with discriminating against a religion? And why belittle other people’s beliefs?

Reactions: DTA
You’re not racist for voting for Brexit. But why equate it with discriminating against a religion? And why belittle other people’s beliefs?

Well I have been called racist on here, several posters and I believe the person that started this thread have said anyone who voted for Brexit was a racist, so it leaves me confused to what some people think racism is, the are the obvious big ones like the N word.

Religion is a fairy tale and a dangerous one at that, if people want to spend their time on it, it is their business but I will mock them the same way I do the freaks that speak in that star trek language. Because it is the same thing.

I really hope not, I like @StephenH a lot and would far rather he stayed. But I wouldn't ask any other member of the forum to temper their words in the manner he'd like me to and neither will I.
I know you're always right, I get that:) and i know you have an empathy bypass :), and without drilling too far down into the semantics of what's been said, sometimes it's worth just saying 'ok I won't say that anymore', just for the sake of the community and more specifically @StephenH (a poster that, I'm pretty sure, finds a lot of company being a member of this forum).

Doing so I know will cross one of your red lines:D. ie 'I will not be told what I can and can't say', but in this case it's a small concession that will at least make one person (probably more) feel a bit better, that's right, feel a bit better, not that they've 'won'.

In a roundabout way ...this is your house and you can say what the effing hell you want......don't make the house lonely....eh?

Back