• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Procrastination- how to avoid it?

Essex Yid

Bobby Zamora
Recently I've noticed my levels of procrastination have been stupidly high. I've been wasting my time away lazily browsing facebook, watching episodes of programmes that I've already seen numerous times before, generally finding any sort of low-level distraction to stop me doing worthwhile things.

Does anyone else have this problem? I do think technology, and the internet particularly, really is a problem in this aspect. I know I could be achieving so much more without this procrastinating, but just can't seem to get the will-power to stop it.

Shutting this place down would be a major help, I'm currently on here while I wait for the kettle to boil.

In all seriousness, I can't really provide that much help with the non-technological stuff. When I was younger, I would procrastinate by eating even when I wasn't hungry, going to the toilet when I didn't need it and making where I was living look cleaner than it had ever done. That stuff will eventually stop when you can motivate yourself properly, through fear or desire, whatever. You've got to have the endgoal in sight.

As for the internet, there are programmes you can download where you set a limit on certain sites. For example, you're only allowed facebook for 10 minutes a day, GG for 20 whatever. Make sure you download a good one because some of the poorer ones are ridiculously easy to get around.

To the OP...I think setting targets for the day and having to do lists helps a fair amount. Seeing what needs to be done on your wall and ticking things off as you go can be wierdly theraputic, as long as the targets aren't things like "Have 5 tosss in a day" etc etc

I'm not sure if that answers your question though...

To do lists is the answer. Spend 10 minutes a day setting tasks on Outlook or your phone. Anything that doesn't get done rolls over to the next day.

Once that list gets to about 3 days of work it'll motivate you.

I've just spent the last few hours looking for an answer on the internet, but didn't get anywhere.

Well this thread reminds me of the fact I'm gonna fail my GCSEs.

Instead of picking up a single book these holidays I've been getting up at 2-3 PM then wasting the day staring at my laptop screen (GG has ruined my life), promising myself I'll do work later that day, but after hours of doing sweet FA I realise it's too late to work, so I end up tossing or going to a mate's house before finally going to sleep.

Before the holidays I promised myself I'd go over my physics (the only thing I've understood in this module is the Doppler effect - I'm so screwed), catch up on all missed maths work and do my long English essay. As you can imagine, saying is much easier than doing, and now I'm in the midst of depression because of Spurs.

I know there are many older users on this board and I would like to advise you to ensure your kids do not end up like me.

EDIT: At least I trapped the cat; got it on my 2nd go \o/
Can't find the cat in the photo though...

Last edited:
Well this thread reminds me of the fact I'm gonna fail my GCSEs.

Instead of picking up a single book these holidays I've been getting up at 2-3 PM then wasting the day staring at my laptop screen (GG has ruined my life), promising myself I'll do work later that day, but after hours of doing sweet FA I realise it's too late to work, so I end up tossing or going to a mate's house before finally going to sleep.

Before the holidays I promised myself I'd go over my physics (the only thing I've understood in this module is the Doppler effect - I'm so screwed), catch up on all missed maths work and do my long English essay. As you can imagine, saying is much easier than doing, and now I'm in the midst of depression because of Spurs.

I know there are many older users on this board and I would like to advise you to ensure your kids do not end up like me.

EDIT: At least I trapped the cat; got it on my 2nd go \o/
Can't find the cat in the photo though...

GCSEs??? Bloody hell, I'm only 2nd year at uni and that makes even me feel old. Your days sound pretty identical to mine at the moment though.

To all the old farts on this board... Does getting older lead to better time management? Or am I doomed to waste away my days forever?

GCSEs??? Bloody hell, I'm only 2nd year at uni and that makes even me feel old. Your days sound pretty identical to mine at the moment though.

To all the old farts on this board... Does getting older lead to better time management? Or am I doomed to waste away my days forever?

I'm 47 and I'm still doing it (even though I have a really GHod job)

In my early 30s and I've been doing it for years. I think it's a stimulation thing, if something doesn't stimulate me then I can't be arsed to do it, even if it needs doing I can't motivate myself.

Back