• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Preseason 2014

Townsend is only greedy on the right because he can't pass from there.

On the left he's a completely different player, its so obvious its unreal

ill keep saying it till everybody realises. HES A LWF NOT A RWF!!!

Great minds, I was saying that through out last season. On the left he put in some decent crosses today

Bloody hell sounds like poch out flags will be out at the first home game. Can't believe some people on here after a friendly.

Because we haven't played anyone.
We haven't had to break sides down.
We still conceded in nearly every game.

grumpycat12.jpg

Bloody hell sounds like poch out flags will be out at the first home game. Can't believe some people on here after a friendly.

I hear you. Didn't think we were that poor at all. He's obviously trying to implement a system, which is going to take some time to settle. I thought a lot of the players did fairly well today, impressed by Dier, and even Rose did a decent job on the left. Sure, we looked a bit out of balance when Fryers came on, but apart from that, we controlled the game. Didn't create too many chances in the first half, but I'm sure they'll come once the players get used to their new roles. Also, didn't think Holtby ran around like a headless chicken at all, he was very industrious - had one really poor tackle, but apart from that, I thought he did well.

I disagree with ringo whole heartedly

Lamela didn't look like last season because he was on the pitch ffs - he wasn't great but he pressed well and put some good passes to feet that caused problems and lead to a goal. He was on a par with Eriksen imo.

For me Kane looked poor when in front of goal - he was too slow to get his shot away when through on goal, yes he has effort in him but we need a ruthless striker who will finish instinctively.

I cannot believe noone has given Holtby some credit today, he pressed the midfield tirelessly and was everywhere-Carroll is not going to this and still looks like a gormless teenager to me, he needs to strengthen to be a success in the Prem.
I thought Naughton and Rose played well, Dier looked like he had been at Spurs for more than a few weeks and the defence looked sound until Kaboul was taken off.

Soldado's link up play is excellent but he cannot finish a chance set up on a plate. This is very worrying for me and I can see him being offloaded if we get the right offer.

Lamela didn't look like last season because he was on the pitch ffs - he wasn't great but he pressed well and put some good passes to feet that caused problems and lead to a goal. He was on a par with Eriksen imo.

For me Kane looked poor when in front of goal - he was too slow to get his shot away when through on goal, yes he has effort in him but we need a ruthless striker who will finish instinctively.

I cannot believe noone has given Holtby some credit today, he pressed the midfield tirelessly and was everywhere-Carroll is not going to this and still looks like a gormless teenager to me, he needs to strengthen to be a success in the Prem.
I thought Naughton and Rose played well, Dier looked like he had been at Spurs for more than a few weeks and the defence looked sound until Kaboul was taken off.

Soldado's link up play is excellent but he cannot finish a chance set up on a plate. This is very worrying for me and I can see him being offloaded if we get the right offer.

Outrageous comment.

Happy with this game, and pre season in general.
The squad look happy and willing to fight for a place in the team.
Roll on next Saturday, let's restore the pecking order! \o/

Rose is a good player, he just needs a good coach which he now has. Anything that happened defensively under Sherwood should be ignored.

As a slightly more constructive response (than my last one):

I seem to remember seeing Lamela in several games last season. In most of those he played wide right, tried to beat a player and lost the ball. I think he was also played in behind the main striker. He didn't look great in either position (unlike Eriksen). He may not have been fit. But I think he is the kind of player that needs a bit of space and he won't get much in a high pressing team playing in the EPL.

Holtby does press the midfield tirelessly and is everywhere, and this is part of the problem. Because while he is pressing everywhere there is a big hole in the two bit of the 2-3-1, which other teams will exploit. Holtby is good, but not really a wide player, #10 or a DM. There are better players in each position and I think that is why he wasn't a regular last season.

Carroll we will have to disagree on. Soldado not so much.

Just got back from the Lane. Great atmosphere today - the 1882 boys led the singing throughout (although do we really need to sing about Sol ****ing Campbell and Mesut Özil?)

Met a few Schalke fans before the match - they told us how much they rated Holtby, that they were gutted he left, and he was better for them than Draxler.

Enjoyed the game - the new signings got a good welcome at the start and my boys enjoyed seeing Defoe at half time.

I commented to my brother about the number of people who were queuing to get into the Spurs shops in order to hand their cash over to the club - I've not been to a preseason before so maybe that's normal but it was noticeable.

Just got back from the Lane. Great atmosphere today - the 1882 boys led the singing throughout (although do we really need to sing about Sol ****ing Campbell and Mesut Özil?)

My sentiments exactly

I commented to my brother about the number of people who were queuing to get into the Spurs shops in order to hand their cash over to the club - I've not been to a preseason before so maybe that's normal but it was noticeable.

Yep, it is normal

wow .. the ****ing negativity in here is just boring now ...

A preseason game with 8+ players subbed and people expect perfection .. **** me

Here's what I've seen that's different (at least what it looks like we are trying to do)

- Obviously we press more for the ball, try to play possession game
- Defense with Kaboul actually looked fairly solid
- Not as much gaps between the lines, i.e. between Lloris & back, between back & midfield
- Poch definitely seems to have a plan to use Lennon and Townsend
- Players are definitely trying to make runs from midfield

Critiquing individuals for a 45 minute appearance in a changing side seems a little OTT for me.

Be very interested as to the line ups for West Ham and the Europa game ..

wow .. the ****ing negativity in here is just boring now ...

A preseason game with 8+ players subbed and people expect perfection .. **** me

Here's what I've seen that's different (at least what it looks like we are trying to do)

- Obviously we press more for the ball, try to play possession game
- Defense with Kaboul actually looked fairly solid
- Not as much gaps between the lines, i.e. between Lloris & back, between back & midfield
- Poch definitely seems to have a plan to use Lennon and Townsend
- Players are definitely trying to make runs from midfield

Critiquing individuals for a 45 minute appearance in a changing side seems a little OTT for me.

Be very interested as to the line ups for West Ham and the Europa game ..

Well observed

Took my 8 year old son to his first game, had a great day out. Just beehind the right of the goal we attacked in the 2nd half.

Thought we were good but think we will look different when we have our WC stars all back in the first team. And Schalke are no mugs even without Draxler.

Still think we have some issues.
Soldado missed several chances that the forward has to score. I'm not sure he is going to be much different from last season.
If Walker is out for any time Naughton isn't adequate backup (although he is not terrible by any means).
Just because Holtby can run around tirelessly doesn't make him good enough - I still don't know what his position is.
Lamela looked the same player as last year on that first half showing.

Carroll was only on for 15 minutes or so and yet he played the ball forward more incisively thank any other player - and yet he looks slated to go out on loan.

On the plus side Kane looks good behind the front line -although not so much as an out and out striker. Ade finished well. Dier looked decent enough. Sandro broke up play well.##

Not sure about the high press style -but that's just a personal preference.

Agree with most of that. Holtby is full of energy but it has to be focused, he should have had a straight red today, that was a horrible studs up lunge. He can be a liability.

Soldardo and Lamela both looked just as ineffectual as they did last year.

Odd position for Eriksen, didn't allow him to influence the game in his usual manner.

Also a lot of positives, Dier looked a class act. So comfortable, like he'd played for us for years. Opens up the possibility of Verts playing wingback like he did for Holland.
Lennon was excellent, some great runs, just need the run to be spotted earlier and the ball to be delivered faster.
Kaboul looked much more like his old self.
Ade looked pretty sharp, great control and finish for his goal, should get the nod for opening game.
Bentaleb looked assured on the ball. Though needs to move the ball forward faster at times.
Carroll only got 7 mins, but in that limited time played 3 great forward passes, each put Schalke on the back foot. Sending him out on loan again would be a mistake.
Sandro looked good, got a great reception from the crowd.
Kane looked a bit leggy to me, but got into some good positions and created quite well.

Decent performance overall, just need to work out who makes up the core of the side going forward.

Back