• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre Season 2017

Trippiers crossing - a thing of beauty. He almost opened the scoring for us with a deep cross almost from the half way line. Swung in a ball that Alli might have scored from. Keeper closed Alli well.

But year on year, we are missing the pace from Rose and Walker. City penned us in, and without the FBs forcing the issue, we lack something. Excited for Trippier, but hope we get in a fast FB who can play both sides of the pitch ideally. We need at least one rapid FB playing. That said, what Trippier lacks in physical speed he makes up for in speed of thought. A Sheringham like touch combined with smart anticipation means he will be a quality player imo.

Who would he replace in our first 11?

Son, who will still be injured come the start of the season two weeks from now. Or Alli, who will be suspended for the first three CL games. After that, it's just a matter of competing for a first-team spot - no one's guaranteed one, after all.

Son, who will still be injured come the start of the season two weeks from now. Or Alli, who will be suspended for the first three CL games. After that, it's just a matter of competing for a first-team spot - no one's guaranteed one, after all.

That still makes him squad player. I am not saying that squad signings are bad (quite the opposite) but that is a different point to the one that I was responding to last night.

I do question whether Mahrez has the right attitude to play in a Poch team though.

That still makes him squad player. I am not saying that squad signings are bad (quite the opposite) but that is a different point to the one that I was responding to last night.

I do question whether Mahrez has the right attitude to play in a Poch team though.

Ah, I see. Carry on, then.

As for Mahrez and his attitude, perhaps, but I feel like he's been portrayed unfairly in that regard. He works fairly hard for an attacking midfielder - not Eriksen-level, but he usually puts a shift in, judging by what Leicester fans say about him. Yes, he showed up in the CL more than he did in the PL last season, but I suspect that's less to do with him picking and choosing when to perform as it is to do with Premier League defenders doubling up on him (while continental defenses presumably hadn't yet felt the need to do so). And he apparently has an agreement with the board to leave this summer, which is why he signed his new deal last year in the first place - despite that, he hasn't publicly (yet) come out and made an undue fuss or disrupted pre-season preparations.

I think he's alright, personally.

Poch's comments after Emirates Marketing Project loss:

'They have invested more money than us and you can see we have a lot of young players on the bench ... We are a little bit behind but we are working hard to try to sign players that will help us, bring us some new energy and make our team more competitive'

Interesting - feels to me like a slight change in tone - a little more focused on wanting / needing to bring players in.

Poch's comments after Emirates Marketing Project loss:

'They have invested more money than us and you can see we have a lot of young players on the bench ... We are a little bit behind but we are working hard to try to sign players that will help us, bring us some new energy and make our team more competitive'

Interesting - feels to me like a slight change in tone - a little more focused on wanting / needing to bring players in.
Poch isn't stupid. he knows that we need more players. We have some talented players in our youth setup, but the closest to being ready for minutes at first team level is Onomah (and IMO his career progression would actually be better served playing regular football at Championship or lower PL level).

It was a chastening experience for Pochettino and his team. Yes a friendly, but a friendly where we look so far behind a 'supposed rival' as to call that in its self into question.

It was a chastening experience for Pochettino and his team. Yes a friendly, but a friendly where we look so far behind a 'supposed rival' as to call that in its self into question.

I really wouldn't read too much into it. We looked to be playing at half pace to me whereas Emirates Marketing Project were far more committed.

These games are just a money making exercise. Based on his previous comments, Poch probably feels that they are a distraction from proper pre-season conditioning.

Didn't watch it, I don't watch pre season games, they are meaningless.
I would be concerned if our players were all fully fit to play a high tempo game in the USA at this time of the year. The season is long enough without extending it by 2 weeks for bragging rights.
There's no points given out at this time of year, I have every faith that we will be ready for the proper games and fitter at the end of the season when it counts.
Let's also not forget it wasn't a "meaningless" game for pep, a loss here and he's under pressure, this was a big game for them.
And if they want to challenge for the league and go far in the cups it's going to be a long tiring season for them, I question his methods of being so fit at this time of year even with their bug squad.

Georgiou looked a bit special when he came on the other day, would like to see him a bit more from the bench.

Last edited:

His attitude last season means i would be shocked if Poch went for him.

I really wouldn't read too much into it. We looked to be playing at half pace to me whereas Emirates Marketing Project were far more committed.

These games are just a money making exercise. Based on his previous comments, Poch probably feels that they are a distraction from proper pre-season conditioning.

I could not agree more. As much as I always say "its just a freindly", it never works. It plays in to my weak fickle fanism!

His attitude last season means i would be shocked if Poch went for him.

Errrm Moussa Sissoko?????

If Poch fooled himself into buying that bag of rubbish with poor attitude then I see no reason why he wouldn't be interested in Mahrez, who at least can play football and has half a brain cell

Errrm Moussa Sissoko?????

If Poch fooled himself into buying that bag of rubbish with poor attitude then I see no reason why he wouldn't be interested in Mahrez, who at least can play football and has half a brain cell

Really classy man.

We don't know what Sissoko is like. He can be a bit foot in mouth with the media but all the quotes I've seen from the players are positive about his attitude. Lloris would have known him, and GK called him his big brother.

In any case, he's our player for now.

Really classy man.

We don't know what Sissoko is like. He can be a bit foot in mouth with the media but all the quotes I've seen from the players are positive about his attitude. Lloris would have known him, and GK called him his big brother.

I read his comment which referred to 'half a brain cell' as relating to footballing intelligence rather than intellect. In my opinion, Sissoko doesnt show much footballing intelligence in the way that he runs down blind alleys - similar to Townsend

Really classy man.

I was talking about his on the pitch attitude and intelligence. I have no idea how he is in the dressing room.

I've never been impressed by him, not now and not when I saw him for Saudi Sportswashing Machine. He chooses when to put a bit of effort in and for a midfielder he really doesn't provide much, whether it be goals, assists, tackles, km run. I think his career stats back this up.

Yes he is still with us and if Poch wants to keep him and somehow perservere to find a footballer then il support him. I'm not sure even Poch has the magic to do that though :)

Who would he replace in our first 11?

Last night I would've dropped Eriksen in to the midfield at the expense of Winks and played Mahrez up in attack. Personally speaking in a 433, I'd prefer to have players like Mahrez and Son flanking Kane, than Eriksen and Alli.

We lack a player that can stretch a team and make tight runs to break.

Mane type would be great if we only buy one player this summer.

Was at the game, we were outplayed by City, but here is my takeaway

- Lloris & Vorm are probably the best pair of keepers in PL
- Walker still can't cross a ball
- We probably should have scored a couple, but Lloris kept us in game in first half.
- GKN actually had a decent cameo, and beat their right sided player almost at will.

Really hard to judge us without our first 11 together at same time, and without Wanyama. City' obvious advantage was the size of their senior squad (their 2nd half subs were Aquero, Toure, Nasri, etc.)

Back