• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Portsmouth, Chelsea and Top 4.

I'm with you on this, by the way. I think he'll drive us home for 4th... but losing two FA Cup semis and one League Cup final is a major disappointment. I really thought 2008 could be us going on and winning a few trophies for years to come and we've had the players to do it. Now we're 5 years without one again.

Fair enough, and I know that result in 2010 and today does actually mean a lot. I'm just trying to stay positive, 'cos I feel so brick right now.

I really do find it hard to envisage us coming 4th now. Our run-in in theory may look easy but we have a clueless manager who knows he's leaving in the summer...and more importantly the players know he's leaving.

The team just look completely shot now...its just difficult to see where the next win will come from. I genuinely thought that if we could scrape a win today then it would give the team a lift and help us get some results between now and the end of the season. As it stands, the result today will be a massive downer for them.

Just cant wait til the summer and wish I didnt have to sit through the next month. The sooner summer arrives and Redknapp leaves the better

Rest Modric. It worked at the San Siro. Lets birng in some fresh legs and fresh ideas. It is obvious our current game plan has run out of steam.

When's the last time our manager decided he wanted to leave at the end of the season and our players reacted with a laying down of tools?

This isn't about one wembley defeat.

We didn't get robbed against Pompey really, did we? We were awful that day and deserved nought. Whereas we were the better team at 1-2 yesterday.

Last semi we got robbed was 1993. Anderton had a blatant penalty turned down at 0-0 in the first half. I wonder back then did we have hysterical idiots saying 'you know, there is no way that was just a mistake by the ref!'? 'Cos I don't remember them, thank fudge!

Edit - Actually, thinking about it, it was the 99 semi, wasn't it? Nobby Solano handball in extra time. Although perhaps more debatable than Campbell's nonesense!

Last edited:
We didn't get robbed against Pompey really, did we? We were awful that day and deserved nought. Whereas we were the better team at 1-2 yesterday.

Pompey's first goal came from a free-kick that shouldn't have been given. It was scored because Dawson slipped at the crucial moment because of the awful Wembley pitch that day that had players randomly slipping all over the place.
We then scored an equaliser, it was wrongly disallowed.
They were then awarded a penalty after Palacios got the ball in the tackle.

We scored a legitimate goal, they didn't.

And I'm too young to remember the Anderton incident in 1993, but that's crazy if it was blatant. That means four out of the five semis we've played in since we last won the thing in 1991 have been decided by joke refereeing decisions.

And I'm too young to remember the Anderton incident in 1993, but that's crazy if it was blatant. That means four out of the five semis we've played in since we last won the thing in 1991 have been decided by joke refereeing decisions.

He was through on the keeper and just got hacked down by Nigel Winterburn or perhaps Andy Linighan. It may even have been a sending off, had the penalty been given.

I honestly don't remember our disallowed goal against Pompey? Perhaps because my overriding feeling is that we didn't deserve anything that day anyway and I have no grumble about the decisions. We got taken to extra-time by a team already virtually relegated and in threat of going out of business.

He was through on the keeper and just got hacked down by Nigel Winterburn or perhaps Andy Linighan. It may even have been a sending off, had the penalty been given.

I honestly don't remember our disallowed goal against Pompey? Perhaps because my overriding feeling is that we didn't deserve anything that day anyway and I have no grumble about the decisions. We got taken to extra-time by a team already virtually relegated and in threat of going out of business.

This is my lasting memory of the game. James' face just after our goal was diallowed. He knew full well it was the wrong decision and they'd got away with one.

24904_100883096622275_100883023288949_5202_1720094_n.jpg

I agree we're favourites for fourth, BUT Chelsea ARE the best side in the Premiership (I've said this all season by the way) and our lead over them is oh so slender. We won't win all our remaining games (if we did that would be amazing and title form - which we are certainly not in), and Chelsea are far better equipped with superior players to win all theirs.

quote me one of your posts saying this.

Tbf, I can't remember all the way back to the beginning of the season but basically since the slump started, he's been saying people should shut up, we've been overachieving, Chelsea should be winning this season's league title etc.

Last semi we got robbed was 1993. Anderton had a blatant penalty turned down at 0-0 in the first half. I wonder back then did we have hysterical idiots saying 'you know, there is no way that was just a mistake by the ref!'? 'Cos I don't remember them, thank fudge!

Edit - Actually, thinking about it, it was the 99 semi, wasn't it? Nobby Solano handball in extra time. Although perhaps more debatable than Campbell's nonesense!

Nikos Dabizas was the guilty party there with the handball that wasn't. Went down afterwards as if someone had stamped on his neck. That semi was very drab tbh......how I remember it was that neither side really created much but yet again on the day.....our big game player in Ginola didn't turn up.

I agree that really the last semi we were robbed really was 1993. None of the other semi finals have we done ourselves justice tbh.

Setting up the criteria for the fail eh? We can still finish top four, but we are no means favourite to win ANY of our remaining away games.

we will be favourite for all 5 remaining games and by massive margins. you'll be lucky to get much more than even money for any of the 3 away games and probably 1/3 for blackburn and 2/5 for fulham possibly much much shorter if it's must win

Nikos Dabizas was the guilty party there with the handball that wasn't. Went down afterwards as if someone had stamped on his neck. That semi was very drab tbh......how I remember it was that neither side really created much but yet again on the day.....our big game player in Ginola didn't turn up.

I agree that really the last semi we were robbed really was 1993. None of the other semi finals have we done ourselves justice tbh.

I think you really have to include the Portsmouth Semi final as well. We scored a perfectly good equaliser only for the ref to wrongly rule it out. We had been the better team for most of the game (admittedly without ever hitting the heights) and I think we would've gone on to win had Crouch's equaliser stood (as we would've had all the momentum).

I think that yesterday's game is a 'never know' really. In the first half we were the better team and looked very comfortable and the more likely scorers until Drogba's moment of brilliance. The ghost goal changed things a lot as it meant we really had to go and chase the game. Had Bale's goal been the equaliser then I'm sure we would've stuck with our 4-5-1 formation that had caused Chelsea problems at Stamford Bridge and Wembley a lot longer into the match and it could've gone either way. However at 2-1 down with only 20 minutes to go Redknapp (probably wrongly) felt he had to make a change to give us more chance of getting the equaliser and that change to 4-4-2, along with us having to get more players forward opened up the space in midfield for Chelsea to exploit.

I thought against Everton in 1995, Saudi Sportswashing Machine in (I think) 1998 and Arsenal in 2001 we got exactly what we deserved on all occasions.

Back