• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

The Tottenham home was my parents council home yes.

The flat we're in now is in the private sector through an estate agent.

You raise a very interesting point and without wishing to sound patronising I really admire your principles. I must say that it is not only poor people who waste public money. How many rich pensioners turn away the winter fuel allowance? How many well off people give up their child benefit? How much money did the politicians fleece prior to the expenses scandal?
Disgrace that old mucker from the Beatles keeps his also a disgrace that Prince Harry received a pay off from the army while inheriting 10 million without paying tax on it.

You raise a very interesting point and without wishing to sound patronising I really admire your principles. I must say that it is not only poor people who waste public money. How many rich pensioners turn away the winter fuel allowance? How many well off people give up their child benefit? How much money did the politicians fleece prior to the expenses scandal?

it does happen, between us me and the wife make almost 100k a year, we have two kids and are eligible for child benefit, we don't claim it

The Tottenham home was my parents council home yes.

The flat we're in now is in the private sector through an estate agent.

I certainly respect your principles - tip of the hat to you.

With a wage just below national avge but living in a costly part of the country you must around the upper eligibility limit.

With my taxpayer hat on, my individual income is not dissimilar to yours, but both my wife and I work ft, so household income us double. But I genuinely cannot see how we will be able to afford to raise a child anytime soon with rents and costs of living as they are.
( although moving out of St Albans will help I'm sure!)

Roy, you earn £25k and you are entitled to £174 per month in housing benefit? That seems strange to me, because I earn half that amount, yet I only get a bit more than that per month in housing benefit.

Roy, I work full-time, we have a baby daughter. But then I get quite a lot in tax credits each month, and you probably aren't eligible for much in the way of tax credits because of your income (I am guessing). So maybe that's why you still qualify for some housing benefit (and where you live, rents will be higher than where I live I am also guessing).

And credit to you for not taking more than what you feel you need. It does surprise me that the benefits keep getting paid out when the income is a over £20k per year, but then high rents mean that people need to spend a larger amount of their income on somewhere to live.

As for food banks, I honestly have no idea how people have any need of them. I won't judge those that use them, if they are really that hard up then I'd rather they used them than starve. But I have known people out of work who don't need them. Myself, I guess I am in the lower percentile when it comes to income -- but in this country, you do get a decent amount of help when on a low income. I don't drink, do drugs or gamble so maybe that's it. And I don't have Sky TV (but I dunno why anybody does when we have the kick-ass torrents haha). I don't know anybody personally that uses a food bank, so it's hard to say what their situation might be.

*edit* I should say that when you are on low income AND have a child, you get quite a lot of help in this country.

Jarvis is only Labour candidate who could get the 4m UKIP voters to vote for him.
They are never gonna vote for Chuka are they.

Bloody good point about Jarvis (he has one hell of a military record)

As for Chuka just don't see the new more left labour going for some one who is the Grandson of a Sir.

Food banks -
i'll ask again: do you have a source for your statement? Until you do, i'm sorry but it simply looks like you are making this up or basing it purely on the view from your own bedroom window..
I'd be more interested in hearing the basis for the increase in use.

The only data set that I know of is from the Trussell Trust. Analysis of that as an increase in overall usage is like saying mobile phone usage increased by a factor of 100,000 in 2009 by only looking at Android sales.

That's not to say that food bank usage hasn't increased, there's just no good evidence that it has either. After all, the Trussell Trust were counting each visit as an individual user of the food bank with no allowance for repeat users (of which I suspect there would be many) .

Jarvis is only Labour candidate who could get the 4m UKIP voters to vote for him.
They are never gonna vote for Chuka are they.
Most of the UKIP voters I have met would not mind voting for a black person if what came out of their mouth was common sense, which is why Priti Patel's father is held in such high esteem within the party.

Personally I would not vote for UKIP because of their views on gay marriage, wind turbines(im all for them) and the mass increase in military defence spending they want. But despite a few nut jobs that the media like to highlight the majority of openly supportive people of UKIP I actually found to be tolerant and nice people. Just had enough of the EU(what attracted me to them in the first place) and others who thought immigration was/is to high.

The war wasn't illegal. Also, what evidence do you have of him lying?

Nothing that has not already been debated in this thread, been there got the tee shirt and I am not getting into a pointless debate with you over this. You have your opinion and I have mine and neither one of us will change that. And to be honest after the rubbish you have said about food banks I do not see any point in doing so.

Most of the UKIP voters I have met would not mind voting for a black person if what came out of their mouth was common sense, which is why Priti Patel's father is held in such high esteem within the party.

Personally I would not vote for UKIP because of their views on gay marriage, wind turbines(im all for them) and the mass increase in military defence spending they want. But despite a few nut jobs that the media like to highlight the majority of openly supportive people of UKIP I actually found to be tolerant and nice people. Just had enough of the EU(what attracted me to them in the first place) and others who thought immigration was/is to high.

I didnt mean they're not gonna vote for him because he's black. I meant the guy has come out today and said the Labour needs to target the middle classes that have voted Tory! He is making no attempt to appeal to Labours neglected core working class poor. The guy is wrong.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ng-power-is-to-recognise-the-mistakes-we-made
"we spoke to our core voters but not to aspirational, middle-class ones"

The only data set that I know of is from the Trussell Trust. Analysis of that as an increase in overall usage is like saying mobile phone usage increased by a factor of 100,000 in 2009 by only looking at Android sales.

That's not to say that food bank usage hasn't increased, there's just no good evidence that it has either. After all, the Trussell Trust were counting each visit as an individual user of the food bank with no allowance for repeat users (of which I suspect there would be many) .

I think it's harsher benefit sanctions.

The thing about being ever harsher when it comes to benefit sanctions is that it will punish the most vulnerable before anybody else. The people who are playing the game will figure out what they need to do to get around any rule changes etc. whilst vulnerable people (who by their nature tend to be not good with money) will get caught up in rule changes and lose money that they depend on, even if it's just temporarily. Add those 'quick-quid' type lenders into the mix and you end up with people in a mess who then end up at food banks.

This is my best guess, because I don't know anybody who actually uses one (and I'm not too far removed from the demographic).

Bloody good point about Jarvis (he has one hell of a military record)

As for Chuka just don't see the new more left labour going for some one who is the Grandson of a Sir.

Jarvis has apparently removed himself from the Leadership race, saying it's not the right time for him and his family. Apparently, Tories are breathing a sigh of relief.

Chuka; erm, wasn't the problem with Labour and their campaign was that they were TOO left already?!? Surely the new direction for Labour would be to become more appealing to the centre-ground (as many commentators are already saying)?

I didnt mean they're not gonna vote for him because he's black. I meant the guy has come out today and said the Labour needs to target the middle classes that have voted Tory! He is making no attempt to appeal to Labours neglected core working class poor. The guy is wrong.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ng-power-is-to-recognise-the-mistakes-we-made
"we spoke to our core voters but not to aspirational, middle-class ones"

Erm, they are saying they need to appeal to a broader spectrum of the electorate. I don't see how this means they are making no attempt to appeal to the poor working class. Labour appealed to this group and it wasn't enough on Thursday to get them elected (perhaps because not enough of them actually vote...)

It would seem from this BBC link from last year that the Trussel Trust DO account for repeat visitors: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27032642

A food bank charity says it has handed out 913,000 food parcels in the last year, up from 347,000 the year before.
The Trussell Trust said a third were given to repeat visitors but that there was a "shocking" 51% rise in clients to established food banks. It said benefit payment delays were the main cause.

Back