• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

9 months until B-day. I can’t believe anyone wants a B-Day in this day and age.

I almost don’t mind the train wreck that seems to be coming. IHowever, it wouldn’t be a instant impact, but a slow and steady downgrading of the UK. Some things have already happened. We’ve lost massive amounts of investment into the UK since the vote, growth has dropped off, and the uk has job losses lined up - Range Rover, EU med agency etc

Maybe the UK will be a nicer place to be with less money. People will be forced to be more social as they become poorer.

Does anyone here still want a B-Day? Didn’t they go out of fashion in the 70s?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Yes polls are unreliable, but maybe pubic opinion has shifted a little?

A poll on Friday, conducted by Survation for Good Morning Britain, found 48% of respondents supported a referendum on the final deal, while 25% were opposed. A majority of those asked also said they would support remaining in the EU by 53% to 47% if a referendum were held today.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...arch-against-brexit-london-thousands-expected

I’m going on the march today, so can report back on the pubes. Anyone else bothering?

9 months until B-day. I can’t believe anyone wants a B-Day in this day and age.

I almost don’t mind the train wreck that seems to be coming. IHowever, it wouldn’t be a instant impact, but a slow and steady downgrading of the UK. Some things have already happened. We’ve lost massive amounts of investment into the UK since the vote, growth has dropped off, and the uk has job losses lined up - Range Rover, EU med agency etc

Maybe the UK will be a nicer place to be with less money. People will be forced to be more social as they become poorer.

Does anyone here still want a B-Day? Didn’t they go out of fashion in the 70s?

Perhaps have another D-day instead?

Yes polls are unreliable, but maybe pubic opinion has shifted a little?

A poll on Friday, conducted by Survation for Good Morning Britain, found 48% of respondents supported a referendum on the final deal, while 25% were opposed. A majority of those asked also said they would support remaining in the EU by 53% to 47% if a referendum were held today.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...arch-against-brexit-london-thousands-expected
That 53%is a bit depressing, what type of brexit is the only thing left

I think these time assements are generous. The impact of a no deal brexit will be felt within months and practicalites of a closed border with the EU will have immediate impact from the off. Things will escalate rather quickly over the first year or two and then there will be a heated national debate and a lot of finger pointing. How it goes after that, who knows?

Yet there are many many people who got drawn in on the ‘immigrants shouldn’t be the equal to us’ ticket, who are deeply wedded to Brexit.

What they don’t get is the EU is mainly about trade and is key to wealth generation, the uk will need some immigration and most of the current immigration is not from the EU.

Staying in a villa in France. The English owner who’s lived in France for 30 years supports Brexit, because he thinks immigrants shouldn’t have the same status as the natives. In the next breath he’s telling me how hard it is to find cleaners.

He couldn’t see any irony, and who am I to point it out?

Yet there are many many people who got drawn in on the ‘immigrants shouldn’t be the equal to us’ ticket, who are deeply wedded to Brexit.

What they don’t get is the EU is mainly about trade and is key to wealth generation, the uk will need some immigration and most of the current immigration is not from the EU.

Staying in a villa in France. The English owner who’s lived in France for 30 years supports Brexit, because he thinks immigrants shouldn’t have the same status as the natives. In the next breath he’s telling me how hard it is to find cleaners.

He couldn’t see any irony, and who am I to point it out?

Severe lack of joined up thinking, it's everywhere.

Rife in my house.

This was the case by a hair's breadth only, in the years immediately prior to the referendum.

There was virtually nothing between EU and RoW immigration before the vote - a fact that I'm sure you're only too well aware of, seeing as it has already been done to death in this thread.

Last edited:
So what happened...

Parliament, faced by the gentle wrath of so many obviously nice people, backed down. There will be a “people’s consultation” at the end of July. Any UK citizen over 16, including those abroad, will be allowed to vote. The options will be no deal, revoke article 50, accept May’s white paper, or negotiate to stay in the single market via EEA/EFTA. STV will apply, and if May’s plan wins, but she can’t get a deal based on her white paper, the option coming second will be adopted.

Facebook has agreed to kill any vote-related memes that are propagated by bot farms, and the DMGT has ordered Dacre to step down early. Aaron Banks’ cash has been forfeited under the proceeds of crime act. The special sitting of the House happened after Anna Soubry’s speech, but the Mexico-Korea match was on while they voted, and members were so moved by the late goal that an amendment was passed requesting that Son’s military service be spent as a goodwill ambassador to the UK.

So it was all quite a result, really.

Parliament, faced by the gentle wrath of so many obviously nice people, backed down. There will be a “people’s consultation” at the end of July. Any UK citizen over 16, including those abroad, will be allowed to vote. The options will be no deal, revoke article 50, accept May’s white paper, or negotiate to stay in the single market via EEA/EFTA. STV will apply, and if May’s plan wins, but she can’t get a deal based on her white paper, the option coming second will be adopted.

Facebook has agreed to kill any vote-related memes that are propagated by bot farms, and the DMGT has ordered Dacre to step down early. Aaron Banks’ cash has been forfeited under the proceeds of crime act. The special sitting of the House happened after Anna Soubry’s speech, but the Mexico-Korea match was on while they voted, and members were so moved by the late goal that an amendment was passed requesting that Son’s military service be spent as a goodwill ambassador to the UK.

So it was all quite a result, really.

Proper result that. I might have to completely change my mind about non confrontational protests being a complete waste of time then. Well done guys!!!

I agree with what you are saying on a no deal Brexit. I think that they'd be riots within a fortnight. Look how quickly the Blair government crumbled under pressure from the fuel protests.

I think that the ten year thing is referring to a hard Brexit (FTA) rather than an Armageddon Brexit. The press and Brexit supporters would blame companies leaving on other factors, as we have seen with Airbus. Loss of potential growth is difficult for people to feel, how can you feel you've lost something that you didn't have? This analysis suggests that we are already £440m a week worse of due to lost growth. I think that people would not connect it to Brexit until it was blatantly apparent that neighbouring countries were doing better.

The sad thing is that the damage done to our culture, reputation, institutions and democracy feels irreparable right now. This nasty brand of English nationalism and exceptionalism is poisonous.

Trying to be balanced, “how can you feel the loss of something you never had” is the crux of popularism?

Globalisation hasn’t sorted everyone out. For the older generation, people always look back with misty eyes. It was better then.

But nothing stays the same and losses to the economy and state are losses to us all with less for national services.

I don’t think the uks reputation is irrevocably damaged. The US, Italy etc there is something going on. And I don’t think Remainers or politicians have fully grasped what it is yet.

Politics needs a refresh. Shame it’s taken the easy route to use immigration and prejudice to supposedly offer something new. Of course this is nothing new, but it feels to people that it is.

What societies need is a complete rethink and refresh of how governments operate. They are stale in most places, stuck with structures and elites that need a good shake up.

This was the case by a hair's breadth only, in the years immediately prior to the referendum.

There was virtually nothing between EU and RoW immigration before the vote - a fact that I'm sure you're only too well aware of, seeing as it has already been done to death in this thread.

Right. And I’d say EU migrants tend to be better educated, English speaking, more culturally aligned than ROW. Going to the doctors seeing people in headscarf’s who can’t speak English, I think, why do people prefer these kinds of immigrants to French etc???

Doesn’t make sense. [emoji6]

Back