• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Madness. Small banks going bust, spreads to larger banks. A couple of small banks going bust would have further undermined confidence in the banks and would have seen a rush on the banks. It does not take that many people withdrawing their money for the whole thing to go tits up. People's savings, mortgages and pensions rest on these organisations being stable.
Or it would have forced the rest of the banks to quickly market themselves to savers as being safer than the others. They'd have had to self-regulate almost overnight.

Or it would have forced the rest of the banks to quickly market themselves to savers as being safer than the others. They'd have had to self-regulate almost overnight.

The people who could least afford it would have suffered most and a rush on the banks may have been too big to counter.

"Rod Clarke
8:59 PM GMT+0100

It is already in the vanguard of countries that choose to present themselves as Museums of the Industrial Revolution. To give them credit, they do a fine job of that. Now set to be the World leader, since they no longer make anything that anyone wants to buy. British cars......owned by German, Indian and Japanese companies. British trains......owned and made by the French, Germans and Canadians. British electric utilities and nuclear power stations......owned by the French and Chinese. Sad little country off the coast of Europe, dreaming of "Punching Above its Weight" and "A Special Relationship" with the USA."

Nail
Head

So we make companies that other nationalities want to buy.

Sore

Thumb

What's DNA got to do with it? Labour didn't regulate the financial sector, and Osborne spent the last two years acting like he'd found Gordon Brown's money tree.

They didn't need to regulate the financial sector anyway, they just needed to let a couple of smaller banks go bust.
My point follows on from a previous point that the crash would not happen on tory watch. They said that they would match labour spending and showed no signs of wanting tougher regulation.... Why would any thing have been different

My point follows on from a previous point that the crash would not happen on tory watch. They said that they would match labour spending and showed no signs of wanting tougher regulation.... Why would any thing have been different
I think you've built yourself a straw man there. I don't think anyone said the crash wouldn't have happened under another government.

famines? do you mean in Africa or England.

I am not a conservative but they get so much sh*t and most of it is for having to clear up Labour's mess. I wish Labour had won in 2008 because it would have been the last we would have seen of those economic retardsfor 50 years.

Can not believe the are people on here who think we should get into more debt. We will have even less wiggle room when the next big crash comes.

no Straw man - this sure looks like we are blaming Labour and it implies under Tories it wouldn't have happened.

responded to this one with "Wish tories won in 2005 so that they would be blamed for a global crash, even though they showed no need to cut spending (they stated they would match labour) and would be very unlikely to increase regulation on the financial sector."

and it led on to your response....

and you would be surprised how many blame labour for the crash as if they really had any influence on the sale of securitised debt in the US.

no Straw man - this sure looks like we are blaming Labour and it implies under Tories it wouldn't have happened.

responded to this one with "Wish tories won in 2005 so that they would be blamed for a global crash, even though they showed no need to cut spending (they stated they would match labour) and would be very unlikely to increase regulation on the financial sector."

and it led on to your response....

and you would be surprised how many blame labour for the crash as if they really had any influence on the sale of securitised debt in the US.

STOP quoting my posts, I put ignore on you but sadly I still get alerts with user name. Shame this website does not allow you to ignore posters anymore.

I do not respond or engage with extremists, I am open to debate with others on here, posters like Milo and Dza are despite being at the other end of the political spectrum guys I respect and views I can listen to with interest. You are in my opinion an extremist, I am asking for the second time, very politely if you could stop responding to my posts, I have no interest in engaging with you as I consider your views so extreme.

Thank you for your understanding, I will equally not respond or quote any post you make and we can both enjoy our time on this website, thank you for your understanding.

STOP quoting my posts, I put ignore on you but sadly I still get alerts with user name. Shame this website does not allow you to ignore posters anymore.

I do not respond or engage with extremists, I am open to debate with others on here, posters like Milo and Dza are despite being at the other end of the political spectrum guys I respect and views I can listen to with interest. You are in my opinion an extremist, I am asking for the second time, very politely if you could stop responding to my posts, I have no interest in engaging with you as I consider your views so extreme.

Thank you for your understanding, I will equally not respond or quote any post you make and we can both enjoy our time on this website, thank you for your understanding.

didn't even know I was quoting you so it was not personal, and no i will not stop responding if I feel a statement is just incorrect. in this case I pointed out that Tories would have the same spending pre Crash and would be unlikely to have enacted more regulation. So we would have been in the same situation if Tories were in power, is there a part of this you disagree with.

If you make a statement on a public forum than be prepared to back it up. Or you know just ignore the response, you don't need a button to do it.

“The world believes that the U.K. is going to be poorer in the future, and find it more expensive to trade,” said Paul Johnson, the director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies, an independent research institution in London. “Essentially, the world is betting against the pound.” And against the British economy.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/0...itains-brexit-bunch-the-party-just-ended.html
http://www.spectator.co.uk/2011/07/leading-article-the-power-of-ideas/

Young Tories Are Worried About The Direction Theresa May Is Taking Their Party In

https://www.buzzfeed.com/marieleconte/young-tories-are-worried-about-theresa-may-is
In her closing speech to the Tory conference last week, Theresa May signalled a clear break from the David Cameron-era – a turn to the left on the economy, and the right on social issues
Precisely the wrong direction for each, I did warn people.....

On a related note, I'm not convinced about Buzfeed News, doesn't seem like a real news source to me. Especially when the reporter is clearly David Mitchell in make up with a joke name.

Shall we run a sweepstake on what Tony Blair plans to do on his return to politics?

Any chance he might be setting up a New Labour Party for those that aren't swivel-eyed loons?

The thing I find scariest about that is that with May going full retread at one end of the spectrum, and Corbyn thinking that there's actually a place in grown up, real world politics for halfwits like Abbott at the other, I might end up having to vote for him.

Surely he'll be leader of the Tory party.

Precisely the wrong direction for each, I did warn people.....

On a related note, I'm not convinced about Buzfeed News, doesn't seem like a real news source to me. Especially when the reporter is clearly David Mitchell in make up with a joke name.

exactly

Marie le Conte is a Laurie Penny wannabe but I thought that it was an interesting article

Shall we run a sweepstake on what Tony Blair plans to do on his return to politics?

Any chance he might be setting up a New Labour Party for those that aren't swivel-eyed loons?

The thing I find scariest about that is that with May going full retread at one end of the spectrum, and Corbyn thinking that there's actually a place in grown up, real world politics for halfwits like Abbott at the other, I might end up having to vote for him.

I can't see it but there is clearly a gap for a moderate, pro-business, socially liberal party. I think that our electoral system makes it is far more likely that the moderates in both main parties will wait for the Tories' 1950's and Labour's 1970's infatuation to fail and then make their move.

They were already in too deep, wouldn't have had time and there weren't enough savers to do it. Letting Northern Rock fail would not have prevented RBS, it would have just accelerated uncertainty in the banking sector and meant more runs on the banks when there were whispers of problems. It also ignores one of the route problems, that the banking sector was not diverse enough.

Back