• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Just to keep you all updated on my flipflopping status, I'm still marginally in the "In" camp, but the more I read the "fudge you" they sent Cameron home with the closer I lean towards the "Out" one.

Read an interesting take on the EU this morning. Much of the value in each decision will rest on who wins the US election. If it's Trump or Sanders, then the UK needs the EU as the US economy will almost certainly struggle. If it's Rubio or even Clinton (if she can stop lying long enough to take the oath) then we can rely on the US a lot more.

To be honest I think most voters are not really sure of all the details ( good or bad) about being in the EU. Because of that there will be many who are unsure of which way to vote.

For me its out as I feel we need to get control of our borders and court decisions back.

In, the world will only be a better place if more countries formed together like the EU.
The world would be far less democratic if that happened.

We'd also lose access to a lot of global markets as they'd have protectionist barriers like the EU

People are making decisions based on scant knowledge - like picking a fiancée based solely on height and hairstyle and toes

Just to keep you all updated on my flipflopping status, I'm still marginally in the "In" camp, but the more I read the "fudge you" they sent Cameron home with the closer I lean towards the "Out" one.

Read an interesting take on the EU this morning. Much of the value in each decision will rest on who wins the US election. If it's Trump or Sanders, then the UK needs the EU as the US economy will almost certainly struggle. If it's Rubio or even Clinton (if she can stop lying long enough to take the oath) then we can rely on the US a lot more.
Got a link to the article?

That is an interesting analysis, as a US reliance on that basis is only a 5 year forecast, whereas leaving the EU is forever (a fact I don't think many people have grasped)

That is an interesting analysis, as a US reliance on that basis is only a 5 year forecast, whereas leaving the EU is forever (a fact I don't think many people have grasped)

...forever...until they ask us again in another Referendum....just to make sure...

...forever...until they ask us again in another Referendum....just to make sure...
nothing is ever forever anymore is it, not just in politics but in all walks of life. A business survey group contact you and say this is the last ever survey they do with you but then 6 months later they come back in a different guise and ask a slightly different question,

It was a blog post linked from the comments on a Spectator article - can't even find the Spectator article now.

The general gist of it was that Sanders would obviously ruin the US economy and Trump is a very risky unknown. 5 years is quite a long time in economic prediction terms, and if we do leave the EU, the first few years will be the most vital. Keep a strong economy and they will continue to need our demand, tie up too closely to a tanking US economy and our spend might be low enough that we have a weak hand against the EU.

It was a blog post linked from the comments on a Spectator article - can't even find the Spectator article now.

The general gist of it was that Sanders would obviously ruin the US economy and Trump is a very risky unknown. 5 years is quite a long time in economic prediction terms, and if we do leave the EU, the first few years will be the most vital. Keep a strong economy and they will continue to need our demand, tie up too closely to a tanking US economy and our spend might be low enough that we have a weak hand against the EU.
With the current Tory govt I can't see us do anything other than align with the US

Interesting play by George this week though to warn against more cuts. Wonder how he will spin that to relate it to EU membership - hedge his gets so he essentially sits on both sides in the hope he can replace Cameron on a "unifying" ticket

this is the last time I can vote having lived outside the UK for 15 years in 2018 ( strange number but so be it) and I will be voting no, f@ck europe.

He'd be a terrible president but he's absolutely right about banning Muslims from entering the US.

The only problem with that opinion is that he hasn't yet worked out that he should also be banning Christians, Jews, Buddhists and all the other Godtards as well.

If I were president that's what I'd do. Then if you can't deport the existing ones just wait while they dumb themselves out of existence.

I personally agree with your views on religion Scara. I went to a COE school and at around the age of 7 I asked questions like 'If GHod exists then who created GHod?' and was cobbed of with the same old answers you hear from people who have read a book, retranslated and amended over a couple of thousand years by random people, which was probably just accounts of a schizophrenic having a few hallucinations anyway.

But religion in the west is on a rapid decline in most places. The only western exception I can think of is the US where they have this constitutional 'One Nation Under GHod' cobblers that they don't seem to want to grow out of.

Isn't it better to have more people in the western world where the chances are they may turn atheist (I for one know many migrants both Christian and Muslim who assimilated to the UK and rejected their faith) rather than in a nation where they are told their doctrine is the work of a mighty deity?

I don't know many Muslims who reject their faith. I have found the opposite to be true. They have come up to me at work to talk to me about it. One college said to me, you want to read the koran Brian. I had a conversation with about ten or more Muslims who I met in my job. They had been hired as a group working as subcontractors. All seemed very focused on their religion and had religious attire...long beards hats and so on. I also had a chat with Indian restaurant owner one evening. He was absolutely sold on his Muslim Religion.
I heard a guy on the Radio who had lived all his life in Muslims countries say " believe me, they will never change how they think!"
I;m 66 so I have seen how Religion in England has changed from an English perspective. Some of us doubt there being a GHod these days and our churches have disappeared in many places and Church is only used for Weddings and Funerals. Where, as when I was a boy the Church was still very much part of the culture in this country...not anymore!
I have to say this is a worry and I am amazed mostly I suppose how young people and anyone who has been to college have a different view about England. They have not lived through the History to draw proper conclusions...
Anyway, it's their future...

I'd rather have questions I cannot answer than answers I cannot question.
Not to sure about too many Muslims who have abandoned their Religion. Living and working in London I have met and known many.

Where, as, some English..old English people have their doubts about a GHod. Also, churches are disappearing across the country. Church is now for funerals and weddings!

Anyway..forward and upward...A?......

Not to sure about too many Muslims who have abandoned their Religion. Living and working in London I have met and known many.

Where, as, some English..old English people have their doubts about a GHod. Also, churches are disappearing across the country. Church is now for funerals and weddings!

Anyway..forward and upward...A?......

Tosha ...well you never know? the point may have been lost ..;)

In, the world will only be a better place if more countries formed together like the EU.
How frightening it would be if that were to happening.Imagine the massive power they would have over a person. We don't have any real Democracy here in this country, cept for our little cross every five years!

Freedom of speech is part and parcel of Democracy...BTW.

Back