• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

The government owns most of EDF, but not all (they were forced by the EU to sell shares in 2004). And EDF also aren't allowed a monopoly of production or distribution of energy in France - again the EU forced them to give that up 1999. So not nationalised, and it's nationalised system was actively attacked by EU directives.
But the article state that they are looking to renationalise edf. They would not be looking t to do this if it could not be done under eu law.

Myth busting. @P.D. feels sovereign which makes up for being poorer. Glad it is of some benefit to someone!

(never mind reality where we continue to follow the majority of EU regs, the same regs that we used to help shape).

Whoopie for Brexit!

Who is poorer though? Prior to 2016 there was rampant globalisation which led to huge inequalities of wealth. Some jobs that were deemed trivial have received significant pay rises since such as HGV drivers as an example.

You can't really say x or y have suffered and it's all down to Brexit, have you not seen the incompetent government of the last few years who have squandered billions and not really come up with any plans they're able to stick too. When Labour come in I'm sure things will pick up because they have some good sensible policies they'll actually implement instead of squabbling over and they'll provide businesses with certainty - see this today for example https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-over-green-energy-says-boss-of-ftse-100-firm

Who is poorer though? Prior to 2016 there was rampant globalisation which led to huge inequalities of wealth. Some jobs that were deemed trivial have received significant pay rises since such as HGV drivers as an example.

You can't really say x or y have suffered and it's all down to Brexit, have you not seen the incompetent government of the last few years who have squandered billions and not really come up with any plans they're able to stick too. When Labour come in I'm sure things will pick up because they have some good sensible policies they'll actually implement instead of squabbling over and they'll provide businesses with certainty - see this today for example https://www.theguardian.com/busines...-over-green-energy-says-boss-of-ftse-100-firm

You're in a minority on this one, even Leave voters think Brexit has made things more expensive and has had a negative impact on the economy:

Seven-in-ten voters say Brexit has hurt the economy and made living costs higher, with even Leave voters saying Britain is now worse off

Asked how Brexit has affected the UK economy, 73% now say it has made it worse, compared to just 4% who say it has made it better.

A further 78% of voters say that Brexit has made the cost-of-living in the UK worse, compared to just 2% who say the opposite.

https://www.bylinesupplement.com/p/brexit-has-made-britain-a-more-expensive

But then that was predicted. Aka project fear. Aka experts.

You're in a minority on this one, even Leave voters think Brexit has made things more expensive and has had a negative impact on the economy:

Seven-in-ten voters say Brexit has hurt the economy and made living costs higher, with even Leave voters saying Britain is now worse off

Asked how Brexit has affected the UK economy, 73% now say it has made it worse, compared to just 4% who say it has made it better.

A further 78% of voters say that Brexit has made the cost-of-living in the UK worse, compared to just 2% who say the opposite.

https://www.bylinesupplement.com/p/brexit-has-made-britain-a-more-expensive

But then that was predicted. Aka project fear. Aka experts.

It may or may not be true, there's a cost of living crisis and parts of Brexit probably don't help but to put it all down to Brexit is just silly. Inflation is sky high in lots of countries including EU countries.

You do seem to love talking about Brexit :) but you should remember I didn't clamour for it, shout about it or post about it non stop - there was a referendum and I picked my side. Luckily you can now vote for a government that can't hide behind EU legislation now and can be held to a higher level of accountability.

It may or may not be true, there's a cost of living crisis and parts of Brexit probably don't help but to put it all down to Brexit is just silly. Inflation is sky high in lots of countries including EU countries.

You do seem to love talking about Brexit :) but you should remember I didn't clamour for it, shout about it or post about it non stop - there was a referendum and I picked my side. Luckily you can now vote for a government that can't hide behind EU legislation now and can be held to a higher level of accountability.

A government isn’t anymore free from the EU now than they were before. We still follow most EU laws and regulations. And to address things like battery tariffs for cars we have a far more complex ongoing negotiation. So no a uk government is not free of the EU anymore than it was prior. In some ways they have a little more freedom but in meaningful ways they actually have less freedom and more hassle as we have to work to someone else’s rules. Same as before with less control. Ironic eh?

As for the economic picture the government predicted a circa 4% dent in GDP compared to staying in, and that has actually borne out. Some have it higher at 5% with many millions in lost tax. And lost wealth for the nation. https://www.itv.com/news/2022-12-20/brexit-costs-government-40-billion-a-year-in-lost-tax-revenue

O
n top of that there was the massive strain on our government with energy and resources spent on brexit, probably hampering Covid response and how much the UK borrowed.

There hasn't been an election since Brexit came into effect.

At the next one though I can vote for a party that pledges nationalisation of energy and transport. That couldn't have happened before 2020, when all parties were bound by EU state aid and competition laws.
Can you explain how one goes about nationalising transport and (especially) energy?

Can you explain how one goes about nationalising transport and (especially) energy?

Just a simple requisition of both the infrastructure and the service providers. The same as happened in the 1940s.

Then pay Thatcher's oligarchs some compensation, but frugally and over the long term.

So for energy - the national grid, power stations, wind turbines and solar fields and British Gas. You wouldn't then need to take over the UK arms of the other energy companies if British Gas became the only one permitted to operate.

Just a simple requisition of both the infrastructure and the service providers. The same as happened in the 1940s.

Then pay Thatcher's oligarchs some compensation, but frugally and over the long term.
Unfortunately since neo-liberalism the world has become so embedded with the markets that such a move would almost certainly create a huge financial crash.

Unfortunately since neo-liberalism the world has become so embedded with the markets that such a move would almost certainly create a huge financial crash.
It would be a bit like pulling off a plaster, but medium to long term we'd be massively more resilent, sustainable and wealthy if we owned all our own energy, water and transport again

It would be a bit like pulling off a plaster, but medium to long term we'd be massively more resilent, sustainable and wealthy if we owned all our own energy, water and transport again

..and ineffecient, and wasteful. Did you notice what happened in communist countries? Don't get me wrong I am all for government earning tax payers money, and saving their taxes, but that should come out of an opposite scenerio: government copying private enterprise. Nationalisation in the mould of communism is ineffecient, unreliable and probably worse. If we look at the French setup, they make thing work just fine. Owning 90% of their energy supply is just fine. Many of our essential services are run by the french government! Isn't EDF french state owned more or less? Couriers (DPD is owned by the French post-office). And the profits they make go back into state coffers allow people to pay less tax. What is wrong with their setup working from within the EU?

So guarantee that no business would ever invest in the UK for fear of having their assets seized.

Reactions: DTA
So guarantee that no business would ever invest in the UK for fear of having their assets seized.

With transport or specifically trains they could wait for the franchises to expire and take them over. What that would do for business confidence I don't know.

I'm definitely in favour of the govt owning stakes in larger infrastructure projects such as the new nuclear power stations.

With transport or specifically trains they could wait for the franchises to expire and take them over. What that would do for business confidence I don't know.

I'm definitely in favour of the govt owning stakes in larger infrastructure projects such as the new nuclear power stations.
I don't think buying in at the end of a franchise is an issue. Anyone looking to invest just wants a degree of certainty - a 10 year franchise is certainty. Taking a 10 year franchise and having the govt seize your assets for what they think is a fair value absolutely isn't.

The problem with nationalising rail specifically is that it's a fudging brickshow. Staff are paid far too much and have too much control, passenger numbers are dwindling and everyone is resisting modernisation. The quality of rail service may improve if nationalised but only because we'd all be funding it.

The problem with nationalising rail specifically is that it's a fudging brickshow. Staff are paid far too much and have too much control, passenger numbers are dwindling and everyone is resisting modernisation. The quality of rail service may improve if nationalised but only because we'd all be funding it.
That sounds more like a problem for a private company thinking of taking on a franchise

Back