• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Maybe. Maybe not.
If someone polls really high or really low they'll be favoured as they are looking at the next election too.

I must be a tough decision for them. They either get 2 years of Truss going full Sarah Palin and enacting all their sadist desires, but then electoral wipe out. Or they get a more moderate but maybe then have a chance of a 5th term.

Apparently according to focus groups most people are bored of Brexit and don't see it as a big item anymore. It was near unanimous that the top item is the cost of living.
Here's me thinking that the economy and Brexit are somehow relatedo_O. YouGov has it as 1 in 5 still think it is the most important issue. That is still a significant number.

The reason they didn't discuss Brexit issues in the debate I would guess is that each is trying to out-ERG the other. To question Brexit is to lose their support and be cast as a Brexit apostate. Madness really that the most significant thing that has happened politically in the UK in a generation will remain the least discussed topic.

Here's me thinking that the economy and Brexit are somehow relatedo_O. YouGov has it as 1 in 5 still think it is the most important issue. That is still a significant number.

The reason they didn't discuss Brexit issues in the debate I would guess is that each is trying to out-ERG the other. To question Brexit is to lose their support and be cast as a Brexit apostate. Madness really that the most significant thing that has happened politically in the UK in a generation will remain the least discussed topic.

Brexit omerta in a Tory leadership contest is less weird than in the (checks notes) fudging shadow cabinet.

Brexit omerta in a Tory leadership contest is less weird than in the (checks notes) fudging shadow cabinet.
Fair point but I think Starmers baby steps approach may be correct for the position they find themselves in. The tories would like nothing more than to ramp up the brexit 'war' again. It's all they have really. By staying out of this fight the vacuum is being filled by brexit related problems and not pro/anti EU rhetoric. We'll see if that approach works down the road I guess.

I'm not sure, but I think the questions were public/audience led. Krishnan referred to this a few times - specifically that overwhelmingly the requests were to focus on the topic of trust.

I'm not sure I've heard anyone mention Brexit in general conversations since Covid eclipsed it. It's all a bit 2019 now for everyone bar a handful at both extremes.

I'm not sure, but I think the questions were public/audience led. Krishnan referred to this a few times - specifically that overwhelmingly the requests were to focus on the topic of trust.

I'm not sure I've heard anyone mention Brexit in general conversations since Covid eclipsed it. It's all a bit 2019 now for everyone bar a handful at both extremes.
I wouldn't agree with that. I've heard it talked about plenty since the end of covid (has it ended ?) mostly by remainer types I might add. From what I can see leavers and the right wing press are studiously trying to ignore it as if it is some family secret to be embarrassed about.

And Brexit purity is very much central to this leadership race even though they dont talk about it, which is bizarre.

I'm guessing climate didn't come up either?

Last edited:
I wouldn't agree with that. I've heard it talked about plenty since the end of covid (has it ended ?) mostly by remainer types I might add. From what I can see leavers and the right wing press are studiously trying to ignore it as if it is some family secret to be embarrassed about it.

And Brexit purity is very much central to this leadership race even though they dont talk about it, which is bizarre.

I'm guessing climate didn't come up either?

Or maybe it just doesn't do anyone any good to linger on past wars, even the ones you won?

I'm not sure about purity, there's just not much of a gap between any of the 5 on Brexit policy, even from the two remainers. The 'fix the protocol and pivot more to Asia Pacific' line would be the same from all of them, so its maybe just not that interesting to discuss.

Climate change did come up. 3 were firm on net zero etc, Truss wants to abandon green levies, and Badenoch went full Trump/abandon Paris.

The irony of that statement to forget past wars. Lol.

It is good that climate was mentioned. I never even heard of Badenoch and hope I never hear about her again after that opinion.

Telling that those who supported Brexit, are now those who wish to forget it ever occurred :)

Our democracy has been taken over by 160,000 Geriatrics. What could possibly go wrong?

Last edited:
Apparently according to focus groups most people are bored of Brexit and don't see it as a big item anymore. It was near unanimous that the top item is the cost of living.

Its only a big item to those who were against it and can not let it go, more important things in most folks eyes to worry about.

Telling that those who supported Brexit, are now those who wish to forget it ever occurred :)

Our democracy has been taken over by 160,000 Geriatrics. What could possibly go wrong?

What more is there to talk about, now it has succeeded completely? Northern Ireland protocol is of interest to a few hundred thousand DUP voters, but not really anyone else.

Now we are free to choose whatever path we want. If Labour propose nationalisation programmes in future elections, they will actually be able to implement them now. And the same with any other proposals that were previously prevented by EU competition laws.

I still don't get this view that we somehow live in a presidential system. Your local MP and the manifesto they are standing against are the only things anyone ever gets to vote for. And thank fudge for that. Imagine the even greater harm President Johnson or President Blair might have caused without some of our parliamentary restraints and checks.

What more is there to talk about, now it has succeeded completely? Northern Ireland protocol is of interest to a few hundred thousand DUP voters, but not really anyone else.

Now we are free to choose whatever path we want. If Labour propose nationalisation programmes in future elections, they will actually be able to implement them now. And the same with any other proposals that were previously prevented by EU competition laws.

I still don't get this view that we somehow live in a presidential system. Your local MP and the manifesto they are standing against are the only things anyone ever gets to vote for. And thank fudge for that. Imagine the even greater harm President Johnson or President Blair might have caused without some of our parliamentary restraints and checks.

Think Johnson has shown that there are no meaningful parliamentary restraints and checks beyond when his party felt he was an electoral liability.
We have no real constitution and everything is based on precedent and gentlemanly behaviour and when you get an arse like Johnson or a political party like the Tories then none of that counts for anything. The whole thing needs a proper overhaul and reform from the voting system to elect the chambers, through to the physical set up of the chamber, through to a properly constructed and independently enforceable code of practice for the politicians (and lobbyists).

Back