• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

Putin has the military might to do as he pleases. To stop the slaughter, if that's what concerns us, negotiating is crucial, negotiations happens in every conflict I can think of. Even where some parties to the negotiations are unpalatable like Putin.
Putin's army is weak and getting weaker each month.
Western Ukraine is unaffected and can supply humans. If we supply arms.

so over a third of the French electorate voted for a fascist

scary times

I think it's more a general anti-globalisation vote, rather than a specific pro-fascism one.

2/3rds of the electorate voted anti-neo-liberalism, which is encouraging. It's just a shame they couldn't all coalesce around Melenchon

Massive bullet dodged. Take the wins where you can.

France will still be in an even worse place in 5 years time than it is now. Both options were evil, I'm not sure how lesser of one Macron is - he's a gnaw to the bone while enriching your mates thatcherite.

Do not hold your breath for that to happen.

Unless they change the rules accepting the Euro would be part of the conditions. I can not see that happening.

The southern European states are seeing far more why the EU is run the way it is, for the French and German economies. The EU is going to look far different then today in 5 years time. Though it does not surprise me that some non British frankly anti British people would want to see us reenter and shackle ourselves to that dying continent.

Unless they change the rules accepting the Euro would be part of the conditions. I can not see that happening.

The southern European states are seeing far more why the EU is run the way it is, for the French and German economies. The EU is going to look far different then today in 5 years time. Though it does not surprise me that some non British frankly anti British people would want to see us reenter and shackle ourselves to that dying continent.
Surely for that to make sense... 'non British, anti British people' would prefer you out of their club, than welcome us back into it?

Surely for that to make sense... 'non British, anti British people' would prefer you out of their club, than welcome us back into it?

In addition, as Danish surely must comprehend by now, we’re geographically part of that “dying continent”. A bit of water in between this chunk of land and the mainland + an ill judged referendum doesn’t suddenly mean we’re based in South America or Africa.

On a very occasion, I agree with you re the EU.
However I come to a different conclusion - the reasons you have mentioned are exactly why many of the smaller and/or more fragile European economies are in the EU. They essentially pin themselves to the larger economies because the alternative is only being a few steps away from collapse and civil unrest, famine, war etc.
You could see why the French and Germans would have an issue with that, and why many Brexit voters did. But they have land borders with the other countries and recent histories that understand and underpin the fragility of social and economic catastrophe. They understand when it happens it is not isolated or limited by borders on a map, or even borders with a fence. Yes the German version of it went to the extreme, but most European nations have experienced it on a small scale and understand that being in it together, despite its drawbacks (theoretical and in practice) is preferable to the alternatives.
They have all also demonstrated that you can retain your culture whilst being part of the EU.
Globalization can definitely be argued to be infringing upon such culture with chain brands etc, but those are ultimately still a choice of the locals, so either become an accepted part of culture or are rejected in favour of localised alternatives.

In addition, as Danish surely must comprehend by now, we’re geographically part of that “dying continent”. A bit of water in between this chunk of land and the mainland + an ill judged referendum doesn’t suddenly mean we’re based in South America or Africa.

Was pretty obvious I meant the EU.

Back