• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

They are paid less than deputy head teachers, so the pay definitely needs raising to competitive levels. At the moment there's no talent in parliament, because it only attracts children of old money (as do the arts, media and law, because of their unpaid apprenticeship periods)
That is a big problem.
People want sleave gone - but they won't be willing to pay for it.
The UK wants Scandinavian ways at US prices. You can't have both.

Probably, but as we know, it doesn't matter. The Tories have their money.
The inquiries will conclude in a Labour parliament and after most of them are gone from being MPs.

It's just Tory rinse and repeat. I have a begrudging respect for it - you only live once. Unfortunately I choose to live with morals - which is pretty damn naive.

I certainly don’t have any respect for it I want decency and honour from those in public life. And that means holding people to those standards in place.

It doesn’t have to be about money either. There are poor standards of general behaviour amongst MPs that are also under investigation: Acid attacks, bullying and sexual assault just three instances currently under scrutiny.

Probably, but as we know, it doesn't matter. The Tories have their money.
The inquiries will conclude in a Labour parliament and after most of them are gone from being MPs.

It's just Tory rinse and repeat. I have a begrudging respect for it - you only live once. Unfortunately I choose to live with morals - which is pretty damn naive.
Corruption and misuse of power absolutely need to be hunted out and prevented. But anyone who seeks power (from all parties) seems to get drawn into it - it sadly feels inevitable

One thing I'm pleased about is that this new stuff is focusing on those core finance/lobbying issues. I actually felt a bit sorry for handrooster - witchhunts around private lives/sex and sexuality should be consigned to the past.

I agree with johnola, but there's a line between bad behaviour that effects work (needs acting on), and being a bit 'liberal' in your personal life (no one else's business)

btw , highly recommend this weeks Payne's Politics Podcast from the FT. The sleaze issue surrounding the Tories, unreal what Owen Paterson got up to. To paint it as if he was some whistleblower is staggering.
It's shocking what he was up too - and the brick he was peddling.

That said, if his assertion that he wasn't interviewed at any point in the process is true, then the process does need an overhaul.

Corruption and misuse of power absolutely need to be hunted out and prevented. But anyone who seeks power (from all parties) seems to get drawn into it - it sadly feels inevitable

One thing I'm pleased about is that this new stuff is focusing on those core finance/lobbying issues. I actually felt a bit sorry for handrooster - witchhunts around private lives/sex and sexuality should be consigned to the past.

I agree with johnola, but there's a line between bad behaviour that effects work (needs acting on), and being a bit 'liberal' in your personal life (no one else's business)

Think it was more he was breaking social distancing rules.

I certainly don’t have any respect for it I want decency and honour from those in public life. And that means holding people to those standards in place.

It doesn’t have to be about money either. There are poor standards of general behaviour amongst MPs that are also under investigation: Acid attacks, bullying and sexual assault just three instances currently under scrutiny.
Acid attacks?!
By an MP?!
I missed that one!

Money is interchangeable with the others, it's all about gaining something irrespective of the rules because they know they can.

I agree with all of that except the personal life bit - MPs are public servants and with that comes responsibility and expected levels of conduct.
I have to make certain sacrifices to be a civil servant - that is my choice. If I don't want to make that choice, I have the choice to undertake a different vocation.
The same needs to apply to MPs

I agree with all of that except the personal life bit - MPs are public servants and with that comes responsibility and expected levels of conduct.
I have to make certain sacrifices to be a civil servant - that is my choice. If I don't want to make that choice, I have the choice to undertake a different vocation.
The same needs to apply to MPs

I think affairs and recreational drugs make more balanced people. I find a puritan streak can be disconcerting, the repression stores up bigger problems. Hypocrisy is the worst of course (talking conservative while living liberal), but I'd rather human public servants than robot ones.

I think affairs and recreational drugs make more balanced people. I find a puritan streak can be disconcerting, the repression stores up bigger problems. Hypocrisy is the worst of course (talking conservative while living liberal), but I'd rather human public servants than robot ones.
100% agree.
None of those things undermine their public duties. Although breaking the law whilst in office does raise questions.

Are people surprised by what Paterson had he gall to get up to? He didn't do anything outside of the typical Tory play book. This is what they do!

so here's an interesting thought that was on the 'Oh GHod What Now' Podcast. Perosnally i think MPs are well paid in £80K+ bracket, but let's give them a payrise (not sure what figure) and then cut all secondary jobs. Done. You can't sit in Parliament and hold another role.

Never thought they should have a second job. If they are not busy they can go read up on laws.

To be honest all of them should be on select committees of one sort or another.

Are people surprised by what Paterson had he gall to get up to? He didn't do anything outside of the typical Tory play book. This is what they do!

I just shrugged my shoulders and thought to myself I bet the are a lot doing far worse.

In life only the stupid get caught. Bet they all have secret off shore bank accounts.

Comparing Biden to Biden and not Trump for a second, the bloke is clearly not fit to preside over the US? Even his deputy is keeping her distance so not to be associated with his odd ramblings and actions

Exactly this, give me someone with life skills and who has also worked in the world above someone who is seen whiter than white but is ultimately naïve to the world and its potential pitfalls. I dont hold my politicians to the standards that many others do I just want them to govern well, they could have three wives for all I care

Back